Cebu to Dumaguete Transportation Recommendation?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, davewe said:

There are definitely parts of the trip south and north that get crowded and can be standing room only. But since you are starting in Cebu or Duma you should have a seat from the get go. The crowd also depends on the time of day or night.

For you, why bus over ferry?

davewe
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, AlwaysRt said:

For you, why bus over ferry?

Probably mostly inertia, since we got used to taking the bus and the bus quality (the buses themselves, not the road) have improved. And also it gives us the option to stop places (like my wife's hometown) along the way.

The ferry's a good option also, as is the plane, which we would have taken this time, if it were not for the fact that our baggage would have apparently crashed the plane!

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

It will take about 3,5 hours from Cebu city to Liloan then the ferry crossing will take 45 minutes then you have the short journey from Sibulan to Dumaguete 30 minutes maybe.I would take the ferry more relaxing and cooler.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We used the bus the last time a couple of years ago, my first ever trip we used the overnight ferry. In between we used the fast ferry which I believe has stopped running. I think you could still use the fast ferry Cebu to Tagbrilaran then Tagbrilaran-Dumaguete but with several hours wait between ferries. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

It will take about 3,5 hours from Cebu city to Liloan

:hystery: Last time the bus got from Cebu City to Liloan in 3.5 hours was in 2010 on a Sunday morning leaving at 6 am :hystery:  Joke lang.

But seriously, I can't know if Kev has been on a bus what's done it that fast but I have taken it quite a lot over the last 3 years and never less than 4.5 hours.  5 hours if your lucky and 7 hours was the worst.  The traffic can be horrendous.  I suppose if you took the first bus of the day, leaving Cebu at 3 am or thereabouts then you might get to Liloan in 3.5 hours.  Perhaps thats the way to do it.

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)

So if we was in Marikina and we was planning a holiday down your way, would we have to fly to Cebu then get the boat or could we get a boat from somewhere near Manila.

If this has already been answered already forgive me as i have not read every response.

I must add this too, when we was in Panglao and going to Virgin island i asked the boat man where is Dumaguete and yes he pointed that way, but also that way is Brunei , so i have no idea of distance from Bohol area

Edited by stevewool
  • I'm Confused 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

:hystery: Last time the bus got from Cebu City to Liloan in 3.5 hours was in 2010 on a Sunday morning leaving at 6 am :hystery:  Joke lang.

But seriously, I can't know if Kev has been on a bus what's done it that fast but I have taken it quite a lot over the last 3 years and never less than 4.5 hours.  5 hours if your lucky and 7 hours was the worst.  The traffic can be horrendous.  I suppose if you took the first bus of the day, leaving Cebu at 3 am or thereabouts then you might get to Liloan in 3.5 hours.  Perhaps thats the way to do it.

Only did it once and it took around that time but that was before all the roadworks.And it depends on how many times it gets hailed.

• Like 1

barryneves
Posted
Posted

I always take the boat to and from Cebu. Cockaliong and George and Peter Line between them have boats practically every evening from Cebu. One surprising thing I discovered a while back was that, for me at least, the economy fresh air beds are actually more comfortable than the tourist aircon option. I used to go with the aircon accommodation which costs 600 pesos and invariably froze half to death by the time I got to Cebu. Economy, on the other hand gives you a very pleasant crossing, cool, not cold with the ever-present sea breeze. Far more comfortable stretching out on a bed and getting a decent sleep than the risk of being crammed on a bus because the driver decides to make a few extra bucks by carrying more passengers than he should! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

could we get a boat from somewhere near Manila.

That would be a crazy long trip.  If you are in Manila you really will want to fly to Dumaguete.  Lots of flights and some good specials.

• Like 1