Fat Maid

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I do agree there are too many larger kids around - but is it any different to the case in Western countries? I really don't know as I'm out of that loop.

Yep, Childhood obesity is a Big problem in the US, but at least it's recognized as a problem.  Now back in Japan 2 yrs, I hardly see any obesity wherever we go, and we all know they can party/drink and eat, but somewhere either great genetics, or discipline in consumption otherwise.   I also see Japanese being much more physically active in their free time....like 8-10 hr Saturday kids baseball practice that starts off with a 2-3 mile run just to get started.  Very disciplined society for most part.    On Okinawa, I always Think that PI  Could be like this place, but yeah, that's a pipe dream. 

• Haha 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, hk blues said:

the same behaviour can be seen even when it's patently obvious this isn't going to be their last meal and they know plenty more is coming.

There is something in the psychology of being 'trained' as a child that is hard to break. To this day, if I am not thinking about what I am doing I default to what I was told constantly as a child in the US 'clean your plate, don't you know kids in Africa are starving?' Now I know what is on my plate is not related to what is on a plate in Africa or even next door. I know that I could and should take less to start with, and I know it is no better to overeat and put on weight than it is to throw it out. Still I catch myself 'cleaning my plate' - even when I am full and do not want any more.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Nickleback99 said:

Very disciplined society for most part. 

Yes, I saw that after the earthquake near Fukushima in 2011. Quietly and patiently lining up for food and water in an organized area. No screaming, pushing, and grabbing handouts. Clean up started immediately.

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

In a previous job I used to spend 6 months in Canada during the summer then move to America for the winter. I knew most of the girls in the town I lived in when in Canada but when I retiurned from America in the summer they'd exploded in size. We used to call it Alberta bum (butt). They'd seriously double i size over the winter. I think they used to lock themselves indoors and just eat.

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

I default to what I was told constantly as a child in the US 'clean your plate, don't you know kids in Africa are starving...

Lol. So!  I'm not the only one! My mom used "China" vice "Africa", but same thing. And man we Hated those nasty Canned green peas!  Still do. Fresh or frozen are great, but those canned ones weren't even the right color!

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 27/07/2017 at 10:18 AM, Jack Peterson said:

I quite agree and have you noticed that EXERCISE seem to be a Forgotten Word here now with all this Technology, YES! nimble fingers and quick Minds are OK but what about the rest Of the Body? OH! My daughter (18) is the same, You know I caught her not long ago texting the maid to bring a Sandwich and Juice to her Room, TEXT her:571c66d400c8c_1(103): What are we Breeding here? Scratching Head.jpg

I think that's more about the younger generation's communication choice than laziness - they even text each other when in the same room!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think that's more about the younger generation's communication choice than laziness - they even text each other when in the same room!

In my House from now on it is laziness, so get off your backside and make you own sandwich

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2017 at 10:29 AM, jpbago said:

There are some that do a slow jog early in the morning, like around 5 AM. I was not aware of this but sometimes when we go thru Bacolod for an early flight, there are some slow joggers on the streets. Our girl is doing intern now and one shift is 6 AM to 2 PM so I see people out walking for exercise when we take her to the bus stop at 4:30 or 5 AM. I used to go to the river with the dog at 8 AM and wondered why there was nobody out at that time but only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the heat.

Correct, have seen quite a few in Bacolod early am, jogging aboutique  the pace I walk. At least an effort being made so brownie points given

Edited by RBM
  • Like 2

Mr-T
Posted
Posted

We all like to eat but it seems filipinos just love their food. Being from the west i had mostly three meals per day with maybe just a cup of coffee for snack at 10AM. Here it is four meals per day. Well that is okay i think but the food choice is what they can afford to buy. Lots of salted fish, salted vegetable (bagong) Lots of soy sauce with vinegar for dips. Maybe one of the reason why so many younger stroke victims. High cholesterol seems like the normal here. MIL. 85 yrs. old with very high cholesterol, Dr. put her on meds. plus anti stroke meds. She insist that she is okay. Do not want to spend for her meds. can well afford to. When we goes to functions they always have buffet style catering. Wife always say join the line now before the crowd. Few times i did and realise there is a lot of pushing and shoving to get to the food.  So now i just sits back and wait until they all get their food. Many times i just get only dessert. Not a big rice eater. 

Sometimes we hire yard workers and we serve them lunch, i am amazed at the amount of rice they consume. Happy to see them eat. One maid we had, she was the champion eater, she was big and tall but she could not get fat. Just watching them eat is amusing to me. Always wish our 12 yrs. old girl would eat more as she is tall and skinny but in good health. Wife eat well sometimes but i always joke with her about getting fat. Me i am just 148 lbs. just about where i want to be.  

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
On 7/27/2017 at 3:58 AM, AlwaysRt said:

There is something in the psychology of being 'trained' as a child that is hard to break. To this day, if I am not thinking about what I am doing I default to what I was told constantly as a child in the US 'clean your plate, don't you know kids in Africa are starving?' Now I know what is on my plate is not related to what is on a plate in Africa or even next door. I know that I could and should take less to start with, and I know it is no better to overeat and put on weight than it is to throw it out. Still I catch myself 'cleaning my plate' - even when I am full and do not want any more.

I always finish whats on my plate , unless its bones or shrimp heads, then Emma cleans my plate .

Emma use to pile my plate high and in the end i just had to tell her its to much, my plate is not as high now.

• Like 2