House Build Costs (Rough)

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Ignoring the cost of a lot. If there's an area with reasonable access, water and electricity on site what size and quality of two story house can you expect to build with suppliers about 1 1/2hrs away for the following cost? 1.5m php, 2.5m php and 3m php.

The background is I have the potential to get a stunning lot with great views. I'm looking to build a 100 sqm house over two levels with a large balcony and lots of glass. It'll be a basic box shape. The ground floor a large box with the kitchen and living area and upstairs two ensuite rooms leading onto a flat balcony. Similar to the photo.

house.jpg

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

It amazes me how many people build their 'final' house at the beginning of retirement that has all bedrooms upstairs. (keyword STAIRS) As in, 'as I got older my knees and hips started bothering me. Now I sleep in the recliner because I can't climb the STAIRS to go to bed'. 

12 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The only thing that I have found constant among the stories I hear from following the building projects of other expats is that they often end up spending about double what they originally estimate the house will cost them.

This is FANTASTIC news!!!!! I estimate my new house will cost 50,000 pesos. What?!?!?! real price is double? ummmmm OK! :nudie:wooooo hooooo

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This is one of the hardest questions to answer because it depends how much you want to get involved, how good you are at negotiating, how lucky you are with prices.  

Take the example of a simple hollow block wall.  Most contractors are going to tell you its 3K pesos a running meter, more or less, and we had one member said he built one for 1K a running meter.

I've known guys who are handy and built themselves a plain, functional, 64 sq m 2 br home for about half a million pesos.  I've known guys who thought they were super brilliant and paid 10 million pesos to build themselves an overbuilt "castle" about 300 square meters in size.  I could live in either but for sure your mileage WILL vary.

The only thing that I have found constant among the stories I hear from following the building projects of other expats is that they often end up spending about double what they originally estimate the house will cost them.

I'm pretty handy and could probably build myself from scratch but in reality I'd probably have a professional  (tongue in cheek) hit me with costs and work timescale. I'd then let him semi manage it with myself inspecting all deliveries and ensuring time frames are met and the quality is up to my expectations. 

I'd be happy to visit a few times per day unannounced. I've seen properties shoot up in a few months and others literally a few bricks per day. 

Out of curiosity how long have members properties taken to build including the size please? I'd be expecting to start at the end of the wet season at the earliest. Maybe November. 

stevewool
Posted
Posted

£14,000 so far for our place , upstairs inside still to finish, so another £5,000.

Jobs a good un 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, stevewool said:

£14,000 so far for our place , upstairs inside still to finish, so another £5,000.

Jobs a good un 

How many bedrooms etc? Square metres and rough quality finish please.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Out of curiosity how long have members properties taken to build including the size please? I'd be expecting to start at the end of the wet season at the earliest. Maybe November. 

Our home is just around the 300 sq. meter mark.  Started mid-November and expected to be in at the end of August this year.  10 months~.  I've seen some with a little shorter build time and many with a longer build time.  Our crew has worked six days a week only taking off on Christmas, Easter and maybe one other holiday.

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, intrepid said:

Our home is just around the 300 sq. meter mark.  Started mid-November and expected to be in at the end of August this year.  10 months~.  I've seen some with a little shorter build time and many with a longer build time.  Our crew has worked six days a week only taking off on Christmas, Easter and maybe one other holiday.

Cheers for the input. How much did that cost roughly and was it totaled before furniture but after fittings, kitchen, wet room etc? 

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Cheers for the input. How much did that cost roughly and was it totaled before furniture but after fittings, kitchen, wet room etc? 

This is a lower high end build if that makes since.  P6,620,000 for the house including complete kitchen & dirty kitchen with lots of cabinets.  One maids room with bath, 4 bedrooms which two are masters each with WIC with built in cabinets and private baths.  Total 4 baths and one half/powder room.  All bath and plumbing fixtures included. Lights also included except hanging chandeliers. Includes septic and cistern with electric pressure pump.  Ready to move in but does not include furniture.

Here's a link to our build,  

Edited by intrepid
added link
  • Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, intrepid said:

This is a lower high end build if that makes since.  P6,620,000 for the house including complete kitchen & dirty kitchen with lots of cabinets.  One maids room with bath, 4 bedrooms which two are masters each with WIC with built in cabinets and private baths.  Total 4 baths and one half/powder room.  All bath and plumbing fixtures included. Lights also included except hanging chandeliers. Includes septic and cistern with electric pressure pump.  Ready to move in but does not include furniture.

Here's a link to our build,  

Excellent, thank you very much. I'm looking at a retirement home with a view and less to clean but that gives me hope. I'm aiming between 2 and 2.5m bracket for a 100 sqm. Quality finish but basic shape.