House Build Costs (Rough)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

So we get Flooded because the Water does not Soak all the way in for some Hours

Thats what I am talking about, Jack.  The rich, "self-important", people would build up their lot to a couple feet higher before even starting to build and they would have drains running out the bottom of their walls onto the neighbors land.  You are too nice and did not do that.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You are too nice and did not do that

You mean take an action for the common good??? :hystery::hello:

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You are too nice and did not do that.

embarrased  man.jpg aww shucks man cheers (Thank You) No we kept the lot at Road Level and  Just Landscaped the surrounds Our Driveway is level to the Road and the Garden grass to the drive level. I do feel Sorry for the neighbours but they are in a Dip well below the Road level but Nothing comes from my lot at all, It used to drain off down that way but since we built the walls whatever falls (Rain Stays with us until it Soaks in, as I said I am on the Corner where the Road meets the lane to the neighbours and am much the higher ground by nature (not built up)   

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Jack, if the flooding happens often, you may want to read this article on how to build a "dry well" to assist in drainage.  It may work for you, or not.  Only takes money to build it and find out.

http://www.easydigging.com/Drainage/drywell_soakaway.html

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Jack, if the flooding happens often, you may want to read this article on how to build a "dry well" to assist in drainage.  It may work for you, or not.  Only takes money to build it and find out.

http://www.easydigging.com/Drainage/drywell_soakaway.html

Thank You Dave for the Link, we did think about this but as our Engineer said the Soakaway will rise again because you have a very High water table, Bit like trying to get a "Quart in a Pint Pot" You can't compress water and it will just keep finding it's own level :thumbsup:

It has only happened 3 times in  5 years so it is not too much of a problem and the House is Elevated 1 meter so not a lot of chance of the House Flooding

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I saw one of my expat friends buy a piece of land and "fill it" to be above the level of the surrounding lots and then he started to build.  A richer person bought the lots around him and "filled them" (this is in Liloan, Cebu and the fill used is called anapog).

Anyway, to make a long story short, the richer person made his lots much higher than my friend's bit and his lot was now the flood plain for the rich guy.  As my friend was buying it on payments he just walked away and took the loss.  Lesson learned.

Sometimes it works in our favor.  The subdivision that I live in now did the same thing to the surrounding land owners who would not sell.  Those land owners now have rice fields where before the water ran off freely.  

This lot is on a hill side. Hard to describe but where is buy there's no chance of flooding. I'd be buying an additional 10m boundary to the front to prevent any encroachment. Past that 10m the hill drops down and is virgin forest so protected. 

I've already said if anyone thinks of building over me I'll be getting 10 dogs, lots of cockerels and the biggest videoke machine and speakers I can find.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mr-T
Posted
Posted

Wow you have a lake there Jack. We live down on lower elevation than the reservoir which is fed by a large river. This river flows about two kilometre from us. Every once in awhile  when the dam overflows they open the drain lock and without warning there is like a flash flood, many people just gets flooded out. Being aware of this we filled up about three meters, then the house is built another 1 1/2 meters higher. We also have a concrete wall perimeter fence which helps. No real flooding since we moved here but i know it is coming. 

• Like 1

Mr-T
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Thats what I am talking about, Jack.  The rich, "self-important", people would build up their lot to a couple feet higher before even starting to build and they would have drains running out the bottom of their walls onto the neighbors land.  You are too nice and did not do that.

Well we did not do that Dave. We built a drainage system which leads out to a small canal at the back of our lot. Even asked the neighbour if that was okay with them. Just want to have good neighbours which we do.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

We raised the land plus the concrete floor block o our build, it was only a foot or so, but the lot was lower then those around it.

It did flood once but that was when some stupid person opened the flood gates an all Marikina was flooded and under so many feet of water.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Thank You Dave for the Link, we did think about this but as our Engineer said the Soakaway will rise again because you have a very High water table, Bit like trying to get a "Quart in a Pint Pot" You can't compress water and it will just keep finding it's own level :thumbsup:

What kind of engineer? Consultation before or after the build?