President Duterte calls US to return Balangiga bells

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

President Duterte calls US to return Balangiga bells

1.JPG

July 24, 2017, 10:08 pm

MANILA, July 24 -- President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday called on the United States (US) to return to the country the bells of the Balangiga church, which were seized by the US soldiers during the Philippine-American war in 1901.

“I say today give us back those Balangiga bells, they are ours, they belong to the Philippines. They are part of our national heritage. Isauli naman ninyo, masakit yun sa amin. (Return those to us, it is painful for us),” the President said in his second State-of-the-Nation Address (SONA) delivered at the Batasang Pambansa.

President Duterte noted those bells were “reminders of the gallantry and heroism” of a group of Filipino villagers who defended Samar island from American colonizers and “sacrificed their lives in the process.”

He recalled that the 1901 attack claimed the lives of 48 American officers and men, and 28 Filipinos. It also wounded 22 Filipinos. (Leslie D. Venzon/PNA)#DuterteSONA2017

Balangiga bells

2.JPG

American survivors of the Balangiga massacre pose with a Balangiga bell. Photo taken in Calbayog, Samar, in April 1902

3.JPG

Two Balangiga bells exhibited at Fort D.S. Russel (now F.E. Warren Air Force Base)

4.JPG

The third Balangiga bell in the Madison Barracks at Sackets Harbor, New York, station of the 9th US Infantry Regiment at the turn of the 20th century. This bell is now at Camp Red Cloud, their present station in Korea.

http://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1002630

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balangiga_bells

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

:SugarwareZ-034::boohoo::SugarwareZ-034:

I want my bells back 

• Like 2

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Next thing you know, the South American countries will want all the gold back that Spain took during colonization and the US will want payment for the cost of liberating Philippines from Japanese occupation.  Doesn't anyone know the meaning of "the past is the past"?

Point well taken!!!... and maybe (just maybe) the US should also give back all of the lands to the Native Americans (a.k.a. the Red Indians) that were taken from them in the pastconfused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

the US should also give back all of the lands to the Native Americans (a.k.a. the Red Indians) that were taken from them in the pastconfused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

Let's be careful what we wish for or Think it should be way it was, if Mr president got all that was belonging to the Pi and then go back to basics, he may well send us all home, If all did this, (reclaim things) then all our countries might want to reclaim what is theirs US :SugarwareZ-005:

Just Saying:SugarwareZ-004:

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

We should trade them for territory. They seem to have no problem with that.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Doesn't anyone know the meaning of "the past is the past"?

Yeah... like Duterte tells people that complain about the Marcos years?  :tiphat: 

...I just hopes the Brits never ask for their tea back from the Boston Tea Party ha ha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Point well taken!!!... and maybe (just maybe) the US should also give back all of the lands to the Native Americans (a.k.a. the Red Indians) that were taken from them in the pastconfused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

giphy.gif

Should the tribes that pushed other tribes out also apologize for doing so? Should all the natives cross back over the land bridge so Bigfoot can have his country back? So called Native Americans Did Not evolve in North America. Spoken as a so called Native American (Sioux). Territory was always up for grabs and might makes right. Only recently has this crazy idea that borders are set has come about. I think anyone who wants to complain should start with the latest land grab and go backwards from there? Go tell the Russians they need to get out of Crimea. You get that one completed, then we can talk. If you are really feeling guilty? YOU need to give everything YOU have back, Unilaterally, regardless of what anyone else does. Somehow I don't think that is going to happen.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, robert k said:

should start with

JUSTICE FOR THE NEANDERTHALS!!!!! :Yes: Who I say will stand for them? Where is their justice? They were in Europe first until the godless Humans arrived and took away their lands and drove them into extinction! (well an ice age helped a little also)

:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, scott h said:

JUSTICE FOR THE NEANDERTHALS!!!!! :Yes: Who I say will stand for them? Where is their justice? They were in Europe first until the godless Humans arrived and took away their lands and drove them into extinction! (well an ice age helped a little also)

:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Please allow me to help you Virtue Signaling for the Neanderthals!:hystery: Throw in Bigfoot, Skunk Apes and Native American tribes.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=virtue signalling

• Like 1