President Duterte calls US to return Balangiga bells

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Fair enough, then as it was an American Territory then the bells were just being repatriated to America.

That is an interesting take on it. I would say that part is a little less clear due to the US just recently 'inheriting' the Philippines from the Spanish at the time. Most understood the difference between the US and the Spanish but some continued fighting, like (likely) their descendants continue to do today, to be separate from the Philippines. It was during the fighting against the US even though the US had agreed to release its territorial claim and give the Philippines back to the Philippine people that the massacre and the bell incidents happened. BTW, the US did indeed honor its word and turned over the Philippines as agreed and on schedule July 4th 1946. 

• Like 3
  • I'm Confused 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

That is an interesting take on it. I would say that part is a little less clear due to the US just recently 'inheriting' the Philippines from the Spanish at the time. Most understood the difference between the US and the Spanish but some continued fighting, like (likely) their descendants continue to do today, to be separate from the Philippines. It was during the fighting against the US even though the US had agreed to release its territorial claim and give the Philippines back to the Philippine people that the massacre and the bell incidents happened. BTW, the US did indeed honor its word and turned over the Philippines as agreed and on schedule July 4th 1946. 

America bough the Philippines from the Spanish so they were their bells anyway.

• I'm Confused 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I guess that the Brits may have to return the Elgin marbles to The Greeks then  if all this come to fruition:89:

elgin marbles.jpg

robert k
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Gary D said:

America bough the Philippines from the Spanish so they were their bells anyway.

The US didn't "buy" the Philippines, unless it was with blood.

Gary D
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, robert k said:

The US didn't "buy" the Philippines, unless it was with blood.

They did and paid the Spanish $20 million.

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Treaty of Paris (1898)

Treaty of Peace between the United States of America and the Kingdom of Spain

Signed

10 December 1898

Paris, France

Effective

11 April 1899

Signatories

• Spain

• United States

The Treaty of Paris of 1898 was an agreement made in 1898 that involved Spain relinquishing nearly all of the remaining Spanish Empire, especially Cuba, and ceding Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Philippines to the United States. The cession of the Philippines involved a payment of $20 million from the United States to Spain.[1] The treaty was signed on December 10, 1898, and ended the Spanish–American War. The Treaty of Paris came into effect on April 11, 1899, when the documents of ratification were exchanged.[2]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I see, Guam, Puerto Rico and Cuba were thrown in for free?

If the Philippines, Guam and Cuba were up for sale there really was no need for the Spanish American War? The US could have just looked at the realtors MLM? Ask yourself this, was Spain going to be allowed to keep it's last vestiges of empire after having lost the war?

Wiki isn't the best place to get your history.

Edited by robert k

Gary D
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, robert k said:

I see, Guam, Puerto Rico and Cuba were thrown in for free?

If the Philippines, Guam and Cuba were up for sale there really was no need for the Spanish American War? The US could have just looked at the realtors MLM? Ask yourself this, was Spain going to be allowed to keep it's last vestiges of empire after having lost the war?

Wiki isn't the best place to get your history.

Of course Cuda was swapped for Florida by the British which at the time was owned by the Spanish. And then there is Alaska which was originally Russian territory

robert k
Posted
Posted

And Cuda is exactly where? For years I was looking to buy a 66 Cuda in reasonable shape.

Reboot
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Fair enough, then as it was an American Territory then the bells were just being repatriated to America.

That's funny.

But seriously, officers were courtmartialed over what they ordered done in Samar. They did some really bad stuff. They should return them if the Filipinos agree to not use them to dishonor American soldiers or denigrate the USA.