President Duterte calls US to return Balangiga bells

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, robert k said:

The US didn't "buy" the Philippines, unless it was with blood.

They co-opted an independence movement that likely would have succeeded without their help. They did the same thing with Cuba at the same time.

Edited by Reboot

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

My take on this is that the Philippines should return the many billions in aid, ships, aircraft ,typhoon assistance etc to not just the USA but all that give to the Philippines and shove your bells up your ass. So you want to play politics then wait till the next disaster. 

The thing is the president most likely is just a puppet like in all countries, they have advisers, people in charge of different departments and those who write the press script. 

Is it Christmas ? Humbug  :shades:

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Yes I hope he gets the bells back, it will set a presence. I will get back what i lost in the PI in the early 70' s and the Australian Navy will get compensated for the penicillin to fix the problem I suffered while losing my cherry boy status. Go for it Pres, yah, yah.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Reboot said:

They should return them if the Filipinos agree to not use them to dishonor American soldiers or denigrate the USA. 

You make a good point, and to show "arm in arm" camaraderie I would suggest Americans keep one and return the others.  Its a moot point anyway as the news today says the USA is willing to return all 3 bells.

http://www.manilatimes.net/us-willing-to-return-all-3-balangiga-bells/341048/

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You make a good point, and to show "arm in arm" camaraderie I would suggest Americans keep one and return the others.  Its a moot point anyway as the news today says the USA is willing to return all 3 bells.

http://www.manilatimes.net/us-willing-to-return-all-3-balangiga-bells/341048/

Here is another story from last year about another bell in addition to the three discussed here. With all this 'Bell Fever' won't be long before ding-dong and ding-a-ling jokes start ringing. https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/west-point-returns-bell-taken-from-philippines-church-100-years-ago-1.407085#.WXqyxYh95EY

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

I guess that this incident will have a happy ending (for now)…

but since the three bells taken by American soldiers from Balangiga church are [now] considered war booty,” has a precedent been set by the US for returning all of its ‘War Booty’  confused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

West Point Museum: War Booty

For a nation not yet 250 years old, America sure has been in a lot of wars.

That's an impression you take away from a visit to the West PointMuseum, the self-described oldest and largest military museum in the U.S.

Over 60,000 artifacts chronicle how Americans have matched bloody arms with the British, Germans, and Japanese, the Spanish, Italians, and Filipinos, communists and terrorists and Indians -- and each other, as the museum makes clear with its large Civil War collection.

The West PointMuseum began as the OrdnanceMuseum at West Point, a private collection of weapons brought to America's top military academy as training aids for its cadets. But improved transportation brought New York City tourists into the area, and their persistent curiosity persuaded the academy to open the museum to the public.

Trophies of War

The Trophies of War showcase features items such as Hermann Goering's Nazi dagger (he was wearing it when he was captured) and his solid silver guest book, signed by 1930s A-listers such as Hitler, Mussolini, Charles Lindbergh, and U.S. President Herbert Hoover. By far the greatest prize is Hitler's gold plated, pearl-handled pistol, still in its original box.

Booty.JPG

Nazi booty includes Hitler's gold pistol and Goering's baton.

An accompanying sign notes that, "Few personal war souvenirs are of such great significance."

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/35094

CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2017 at 6:30 PM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Yeah... like Duterte tells people that complain about the Marcos years?  :tiphat: 

...I just hopes the Brits never ask for their tea back from the Boston Tea Party ha ha

OK, we'll give back the Tea sitting on the bottom of Boston Haaaaaahbah, as soon as the Brits pay retribution for burning down the US Capitol during the War of 1812.  Better yet, I'll take the payment, and forwarded it to the Gov.  Cash only please with interest...........lets see, interest compounded for 200 or so years......

Edited by CoffeeRulzMe
  • Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, CoffeeRulzMe said:

OK, we'll give back the Tea sitting on the bottom of Boston Haaaaaahbah, as soon as the Brits pay retribution for burning down the US Capitol during the War of 1812.  Better yet, I'll take the payment, and forwarded it to the Gov.  Cash only please with interest...........lets see, interest compounded for 200 or so years......

I think the  way your new president is going it won't be long before it gets burnt down for a second time.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Here is another story from last year about another bell in addition to the three discussed here. With all this 'Bell Fever' won't be long before ding-dong and ding-a-ling jokes start ringing. https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/west-point-returns-bell-taken-from-philippines-church-100-years-ago-1.407085#.WXqyxYh95EY

I think this is one of the three...two bells are left now.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Gary D said:

I think the  way your new president is going it won't be long before it gets burnt down for a second time.

How long before London is under sharia law? I think that will happen before the whitehouse burns again.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 3