Single Filipina - land ownership query

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

As has been pointed out there's nothing to stop you purchasing land as a Filipino citizen.

Let me just be a little bit pedantic and add . .  . "resident" to that statement.  There are limits to the types and size of property that a Filipino non-resident citizen can own.  This may be important if you and your filipina partner are living in the UK and want to buy property here in Philippines without actually moving here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It means you could could have a same sex friend buy the land with your money.  You could even arrange a legal, private mortgage between the two of you so that you may register it against the title and get some assurance that you would get your money back in the event of future problems.  Or you could arrange to give the purchase price to your same friend in exchange for a 25 year lease so the lease would be in your name.  

This, along with an opposite sex sideline might be the way to go.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, jpbago said:

This, along with an opposite sex sideline might be the way to go.

I'd definitely agree, anyone thinking of buying land with their new girlfriend so they have got a home to move into once their married should definitely ensure the land is leased to the one paying the money for the usual 25yrs with a further option. Include the clause that the person leasing can cancel the lease with immediate effect at any time. 

If you decide to get married then it should be be a formality to change the title to ensure you don't fall foul of the family law.

It'll also give you some protection against the love suddenly being lost but obviously not 100% protection. :whistling:

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Also if shown a title check that it is registered with the land registry in Manila. Many fake titles out there. A title given at barungay level is not legal.

• Like 1

Henry Parker
Posted
Posted

Hi Rakiya

I am a European married to a Filipina and have been living in the Philippines for the past nine years. In the Philippines both female and male citizens have equal rights to buy land or property in their respective names or as a joint vendee. According to the Constitution, as a general rule only Filipinos can own Philippine lands but also a natural person whether European or other foreigners who acquire Filipino citizenship can also buy land in the Philippines by law or entitlement in his or her own rights. Therefore a foreigner with an entitlement of Philippine citizenship can either buy the land as an individual or as a joint land ownership with their spouse, girlfriend, wife or partner providing they are both citizens, both able to pay together and both able to sign.  

Although foreigners are not allowed to own land in the Philippines, there are many ways around how the Philippine land system works and a lot of foreigners from Europe or other parts of the world in a relationship with or married to a Filipina request their wives, girlfriends, spouses or partners to buy the land on their behalf as a retirement or future home. Unfortunately in some instances this can also be a way whereby savings and assets are removed from their countries of origin for tax evasion or avoidance of full asset splitting in divorce cases et cetera…

In this context any foreigner becoming a Philippines citizen entitles him or her to become a Vendee in any land ownership. However it’s common for most of the foreigners to continue using their country of origin passports and citizenships.

Philippine law can be strange and while I don’t personally know of what programmes of studies are offered for the legal profession here I’m sure that is something you could look into with universities and third-level providers here if you wished to further your interest/career in this field.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

You are correct Mr. Parker, only Filipino citizens may own land.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Henry Parker said:

In this context any foreigner becoming a Philippines citizen entitles him or her to become a Vendee in any land ownership. However it’s common for most of the foreigners to continue using their country of origin passports and citizenships.

Oh! well that is a bit of news I don't think is correct, when did anyone know a foreigner with Dual Nationality with the Philippines, it is just not allowed, I don't want to be or appear to be, argumentative but please don't let's start a ball rolling with false statements :thumbsup: the most any foreigner can hope for is permanent residency by Whatever Visas are available to them

Geeeze and it is only 8.15 am

Jack :shades:

Morning All.:morning1:

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Your right Jack:SugarwareZ-004:I don't think too many foreigners would chuck their pensions away by denouncing their birth country, to take on PI citizen ship, that is a fact.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Kelly
Posted
Posted

Are you thinking of buying in philipinnes or just interested.... where is your name from

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 8/2/2017 at 8:23 AM, Jack Peterson said:

Oh! well that is a bit of news I don't think is correct, when did anyone know a foreigner with Dual Nationality with the Philippines, it is just not allowed, I don't want to be or appear to be, argumentative but please don't let's start a ball rolling with false statements :thumbsup: the most any foreigner can hope for is permanent residency by Whatever Visas are available to them

They do of course allow dual citizenship for natural born Filipino born in a foreign country and for Filipina citizens who reacquire citizenship after becoming a citizen of a foreign country (RA 9225).   My wife, Filipina, for example is both a Philippine citizen and a USA citizen.  She has full citizenship rights in both countries.  She was not required to renounce her allegiance to the USA when she required her Philippine citizenship.   

But I realize that your post refers to naturalized citizens.  So how about those of us who were not born in the Philippines, and/or do not have a Filipino parent.  I could as a USA citizen go the route of renouncing my USA citizenship, declare allegiance to, and gain citizenship in the Philippines (Common Wealth Act 473).  The reality is that I would NOT lose my USA citizenship by renouncing it to officials of the Philippine government.  A USA citizen can only lose their citizenship by renouncing the same in the presence of certain USA officials.  If a USA citizen chose to gain Philippine citizenship, but not renounce their USA citizenship to certain designated USA officials, they would not lose pensions, social security, right to vote in US elections, etc (in reference to previous post by Clermont ).  While the Philippine government would not recognize me as a dual citizen, the reality is that I would be a citizen of both countries.  I am not suggesting that I am considering this course, nor am I suggesting anyone else do it.  The laws regarding renunciation of citizenship may be much different in other countries but that is how it works for the USA.

• Thanks 1