Mogo'a update 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear your furnished room is lacking. But on the bright side you only made a short commitment so will be able to eyeball your next place before you commit.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Hi Ron 

Glad you made it.

If you need to buy furniture or other essentials I would suggest buying cheap so as when you really settle you can buy the things you really want and use the cheap stuff in the garden.Welcome mate.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Glad you made it Ron. Sorry to hear of lacks in the rental. I do know a bit about Kia Soul, they have something of a cult following (enthusiasts clubs and sometimes people killed for them) and yes, that does mean that they draw a premium. I wouldn't count on talking the owner down much but it couldn't hurt to try. In my opinion they are good cars, nothing to go insane over though.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Hi Mogo 51, pleased you made the transition safely, about the rain, weren't you around Alpha when they had the big wet back in the 80's. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Last Monday it decided to rain and forgotten to stop ever since.  As many would know  deep Tropical depression on our doorstep.  I have never seen so much rain before.

Yes, you picked a wet week to move!  They closed the schools in Subic the last three days due to threat of flooding, but it was not that bad.  This morning, we have high winds and heavy rains.  The only good thing is that the temps have been unseasonably cool, never getting into the 30's.  Last year the same monsoon rains had temps in the 30's.

Stay dry!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/ph/subic/266590/satellite/266590

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, you picked a wet week to move!  They closed the schools in Subic the last three days due to threat of flooding, but it was not that bad.  This morning, we have high winds and heavy rains.  The only good thing is that the temps have been unseasonably cool, never getting into the 30's.  Last year the same monsoon rains had temps in the 30's.

Stay dry!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/ph/subic/266590/satellite/266590

Much the same here Don, just saw the blue skies peek through but now gone.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Glad your settling in OK although not without the usual hassles. Most of us go through similar experiences and for sure one can assume absolutely nothing, its just how it is here, expect the unexpected. My guess 6 months to settle in with some degree of comfort. 

Mogel 51 my strong advice if buying anything other than a Toyota......check out spare parts availability. My friend 6 months ago  had an accident  in his Kia Sportage and guess what, still waiting on parts....Yes he has tried every angle to hurry it up to no avail.....

• Like 4

bigpearl
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2017 at 7:01 AM, mogo51 said:

Good morning all,

Apologies for not posting sooner, but we have little or no internet at this place, Villa Marand Resort, Bauang.

It is 2 weeks now since we arrived and plenty of ups and downs (No not that sort!).  But interesting just the same.

The townhouse was very sparsely equipped when we got here, not cooking, eating utensils, a stove that must be as old as me and slow as a wet week (which we have also had). So we are moving in another 6 weeks.  Have a back up place, which is old but spacious, which we tried to book but they do not answer their emails.  Apparently the lady who runs it is just too busy!  Judging by her size, its from  sitting on her rear end all day doing zip.

But we can get a 1br there when our 2 months is up here (reduced from 6) and it is a backup but trying to find something better.  Furnished places are somewhat hard to find.  Whilst we could buy furniture, we want to make sure this place is suitable for both of us before committing to that level.

Our trip thru Thail Immigration was appalling, 1 hr check in, 2 hours security check and Immigration. We had to run to the plane after Immigration (something that does not go well with me) and made it by 10 minutes.  Plane full, had us sitting apart, but thankfully a lady swapped her seat and we were ok. Bus trip to Bauang was fine, arrived at 3am in the morning a bit worn out.

No cooking utensils, pots pans etc. eating utensils the same, apparently owner does not consider these her problem.  Given it is basically a holiday location, I find her reasoning somewhat adrift. We will move in 6 weeks by which time our balakbayan boxes will have arrived  we hope.

Nearby market is great, much cheaper than Thailand.  Bought a whole reef cod for 240 pesos and it was superb.  SO has found previously untapped cooking abilities, some great pansit a couple of times  this week.  I did not know it but been cooking Pansit for years.

Last Monday it decided to rain and forgotten to stop ever since.  As many would know  deep Tropical depression on our doorstep.  I have never seen so much rain before.

We have sorted banking using Maybank (recommended) as it turned out the Bank Manager lives 2 doors down and a nice young guy.  I may buy his car, which will wipe out any ownership problems.  Just got to get him a bit more realistic in price.  Anybody know anything about Kia Soul, sort of a semi SUV or sedan/cross wagon.  haven't driven it yet.

Inquiries reveal that once we get further towards San Fernando we can get PLDT line internet.  Optic fiber has been laid around but very little connected at this stage here.  /The line is giving 8-10mg most of the time from guys I have spoken to that have it.  I think at the moment I have about 1kb!

Went to the dentist yesterday and the bad news is %60k pesos to bring my  teeth up to speed.  I had gum and bone issues so transplants are not an option, I have to have a denture upper, then bridging on lower, 8 fillings and extraction and a few other things.  Great looking surgery, latest Xray machine which they did in a few minutes sent straight to his laptop.  Not a pretty sight looking into your own mouth, especially when my teeth are like me - showing their age.

I have found it basically cheaper here but until I start my budged from 1st August, cannot support that, but just general  costings seem in favour of Philippines.

Hope I have not bored you all to death.

Well Ron you and your SO made it, well done. Saddened to hear that the accom you chose turned out to be a bummer, knowing the location and facilities in the resort and the layout of this community I find in my mind that you got a bum steer and a tight arsed owner, moving on, as you guys are doing we wish you the best of luck with your new found property, as others have said myself included boots on the ground. Did you look at this place? Mostly long term but worth a look.

As for markets, yes Bauang, San Fernando City and also Bacnotan have great variety, San Juan seems pretty limited for choice and price but with the new extensions may offer more in the future.

Looks like we will scour airbnb for our return next year as only a 4 odd week stay. Good luck with the car and bike purchase as well as your internet, we find the dongle and hotspot on phone works well but depends where you are I suppose and how piggish one is with data. Keep us posted Ron. While there go and check out the beach at Tammocalao, the first left turn when you hit this province sign on the Bacnotan Luna road, a little over 3 kilometres from town centre, that's our new abode on the beach, nice quiet area and appears to be mostly expats as the houses are huge, not ours though. Great quiet beach, no roosters, no Karaoke and appears no burning off etc; check it out as there are properties for sale and I dare say rentals.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Delete link. Do they pay to advertise here ?
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

plenty of ups and downs (No not that sort!).  

Get used to it! :thumbsup:

:welcome-19:to the club lol

• Like 1