Mogo'a update 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Before you buy a vehicle does the SO drive as you won't be able to for more than 90 days on a foreign licence and not get a Philippine licence unless you are a resident

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/29/2017 at 6:17 AM, earthdome said:

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear your furnished room is lacking. But on the bright side you only made a short commitment so will be able to eyeball your next place before you commit.

Yes earthdome, as everyone has said here, nothing like feet on the ground.  7th day of rain today, just had a look and I am getting web feet and quacking like a duck.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Gary D said:

Before you buy a vehicle does the SO drive as you won't be able to for more than 90 days on a foreign licence and not get a Philippine licence unless you are a resident

Yes Gary thanks, I am aware of that.  I will be going to get my ACR card as soon as I can, then to the LTO for a pleasant visit.  My dear SO could not drive a nail into a 4x2 let alone a car and much less a bike - but I still love her!!!

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/29/2017 at 6:31 AM, sonjack2847 said:

Hi Ron 

Glad you made it.

If you need to buy furniture or other essentials I would suggest buying cheap so as when you really settle you can buy the things you really want and use the cheap stuff in the garden.Welcome mate.

Thanks Kev, it is good to be here.  Having some real issues with internet and phones, what a rob here!  But apart from that, it is all going ok, except it was so kind of you Kev to turn on the rain for me.  Now could you turn the bloody stuff off mate!!!

mogo51
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, robert k said:

Glad you made it Ron. Sorry to hear of lacks in the rental. I do know a bit about Kia Soul, they have something of a cult following (enthusiasts clubs and sometimes people killed for them) and yes, that does mean that they draw a premium. I wouldn't count on talking the owner down much but it couldn't hurt to try. In my opinion they are good cars, nothing to go insane over though.

Thanks Robert, I agree with you Kia has come a long way over the past 8 years or so and making some great cars now, as is Hyundai - they come out of the same factory.  I took it for a drive last night and it drives quite well, nippy for a 1600 motor with all the features we need.  Mind you it was pi...ing down and not the best weather for a test drive.  SO seemed quite happy with it also.  

I made my offer to him and he is considering, I will not go up, so if he says ;no; the search goes on.  I was really wanting a Ford Fiesta Sedan, my mate had one in Thailand and it was a very nice car, drove really well and he has had no trouble whatsoever.  So if this does not happen, looks like a trip to Manila to buy something, as there is SFA here really.  I just have to get a car or bike (same problem with bikes) to get around, sick of nearly knocking myself out on those bloody jeepneys, as I get in and out.

The thing I like about this Kia, if he takes my offer, it is a reasonably priced car in good condition, full service history, no ownership issues as he is the bank manager and gets the car as part of his package.   He is a young executive going places with the bank and not likely to risk that.  No waiting for rego and getting checks, all papers are in order.  Comes from a quite well do to family also.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2017 at 6:55 AM, Clermont said:

Hi Mogo 51, pleased you made the transition safely, about the rain, weren't you around Alpha when they had the big wet back in the 80's. 

No mage, I missed that one thankfully.  But all the locals told me about it.  Thanks for the welcome, good to be here, rain and all.

Edited by mogo51
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, RBM said:

Glad your settling in OK although not without the usual hassles. Most of us go through similar experiences and for sure one can assume absolutely nothing, its just how it is here, expect the unexpected. My guess 6 months to settle in with some degree of comfort. 

Mogel 51 my strong advice if buying anything other than a Toyota......check out spare parts availability. My friend 6 months ago  had an accident  in his Kia Sportage and guess what, still waiting on parts....Yes he has tried every angle to hurry it up to no avail.....

Yes I did give that a thought and there is no Kia dealership here either.  I remember Dave saying something in a post some time ago about poor part availability, will have to check it out. Thanks RBM.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/29/2017 at 9:27 AM, bigpearl said:

Well Ron you and your SO made it, well done. Saddened to hear that the accom you chose turned out to be a bummer, knowing the location and facilities in the resort and the layout of this community I find in my mind that you got a bum steer and a tight arsed owner, moving on, as you guys are doing we wish you the best of luck with your new found property, as others have said myself included boots on the ground. Did you look at this place? Mostly long term but worth a look.

xxx

As for markets, yes Bauang, San Fernando City and also Bacnotan have great variety, San Juan seems pretty limited for choice and price but with the new extensions may offer more in the future.

Looks like we will scour airbnb for our return next year as only a 4 odd week stay. Good luck with the car and bike purchase as well as your internet, we find the dongle and hotspot on phone works well but depends where you are I suppose and how piggish one is with data. Keep us posted Ron. While there go and check out the beach at Tammocalao, the first left turn when you hit this province sign on the Bacnotan Luna road, a little over 3 kilometres from town centre, that's our new abode on the beach, nice quiet area and appears to be mostly expats as the houses are huge, not ours though. Great quiet beach, no roosters, no Karaoke and appears no burning off etc; check it out as there are properties for sale and I dare say rentals.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks Steve, 

We did look at these units last October when we were here, but same problem as Marand 'stairs' for me is not a career move.  We will head for Green Valley if we cannot find a small house, even if we have to buy some furniture but don''t really want to do that until we find something we know we will be there for a long time.  You nailed the landlady, she has a dentistry at the front of the resort and I saw her sitting in a chair yesterday as the rain bucketed down - sour face and miserable, says it all.

We will manage, it is not so much the furniture but lack of basic living items, appliances (2 burner slow electric stove) no micro etc. but also not pots, pans, cutlery etc.  Went and bought enough to get through so all good. 

Green Valley is looking like the go, old but spacious and basic but good internet (well as good as it gets), closer to town and beach.  Rent very reasonable 10k, only 1 br available, but will get a 2 when available, just missed a 2 by a week. Looked at a nice house near Coconut Grove Resort, but really too big for us .

If you need any help for accommodation, just let me know and I will do the leg work for you.

All in all though Steve, we are getting there.  

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
On 7/28/2017 at 4:01 PM, mogo51 said:

The townhouse was very sparsely equipped when we got here, not cooking, eating utensils, a stove that must be as old as me and slow as a wet week (which we have also had). So we are moving in another 6 weeks.  

Yep the place we are renting also has no pots and utensils nor bed sheets but at least I got a message in advance telling me so; I know what to expect and what not to expect. Glad you are getting settled in!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Yes earthdome, as everyone has said here, nothing like feet on the ground.  7th day of rain today, just had a look and I am getting web feet and quacking like a duck.

Keep quacking!  I have been monitoring this huge cloud of rain this morning.  It was headed our way but it may be getting sucked north and breaking up a bit.  It is tough to get out and get things down when it is raining so hard!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/ph/subic/266590/satellite/266590