Mogo'a update 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Ron,  What you are going through is about the same as most everyone when they first transition here.  Myself included.  Even after more than a year I am still learning what works here and what does not.  Also where to get this or that and where not to waste time looking searching.  Anyway, after you get settled I would be interested in how your move here in the Philippines compared to your move when you first settled in Thailand.  I suspect it may have been similar.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, mogo51 said:

7th day of rain today, just had a look and I am getting web feet and quacking like a duck.

We get rain here 3 or 4 times everyday for the past few months, not for long, but usually quite heavy for 2 to 5 minutes. Sometimes just a light sun shower. Bacolod had a meter or more of water across the national highway last week.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Yes Gary thanks, I am aware of that.  I will be going to get my ACR card as soon as I can, then to the LTO for a pleasant visit.  My dear SO could not drive a nail into a 4x2 let alone a car and much less a bike - but I still love her!!!

FYI, BI is located out on Poro Point in San Fernando. I always had very good service from that BI location.

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, earthdome said:

FYI, BI is located out on Poro Point in San Fernando. I always had very good service from that BI location.

This morning we set out for LTO and Immigration to check on when I can get a drivers licence.  We also wanted to check out a vehicle as we have found a car (see another post), to  buy.  As suggested a Toyta Vios.

First to LTO vehicle checked out, the man who assisted us could not have be more helpful.  Advised it was a genuine document and there was no money owed on the vehicle.  I expected this as the person selling is a senior official at City Hall and from a prominent family in the area. Fell on my feet there. No charge for service. Everyone was helpful, friendly and polite.

He then showed us where to go for licence information.  Young fellow there just as helpful, gave me information about what to bring back for licence once I have ACR card. 

Then out to Immigration, straight up to counter and young lady help us in a friendly and informative manner., but they do not issue ACRs there have to go to Manila.  But I am thinking it has been mentioned that I can go to Immigration at Angeles and get one?  Could you help guys, I know it was discussed not that long ago, just don't want to go to Manila if I can avoid it.

Overall, I continue to be happy with our decision to move to Phils, I have met more polite people here in 2 weeks than I did in all of 8 years plus in Thailand.  Having SO there to handle issues is such a relief and she is very good at sorting things.  A very pleasurable experience, even if it did start raining again. Quack Quack. 

Edited by mogo51
  • Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 7/29/2017 at 4:09 PM, Gary D said:

Before you buy a vehicle does the SO drive as you won't be able to for more than 90 days on a foreign licence and not get a Philippine licence unless you are a resident

I know many people on a Tourist visa who have a phills driving licence.I was told that you have to show that you are staying for more than a year.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 7/30/2017 at 1:52 PM, jpbago said:

We get rain here 3 or 4 times everyday for the past few months, not for long, but usually quite heavy for 2 to 5 minutes. Sometimes just a light sun shower. Bacolod had a meter or more of water across the national highway last week.

Yes it was raining hard up there last week I thought they might cancel the fastcraft.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/30/2017 at 10:45 AM, OnMyWay said:

Keep quacking!  I have been monitoring this huge cloud of rain this morning.  It was headed our way but it may be getting sucked north and breaking up a bit.  It is tough to get out and get things down when it is raining so hard!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/ph/subic/266590/satellite/266590

So its your fault Don, stop sending the rain this way. 

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/30/2017 at 10:10 AM, davewe said:

Yep the place we are renting also has no pots and utensils nor bed sheets but at least I got a message in advance telling me so; I know what to expect and what not to expect. Glad you are getting settled in!

Cheers Dave, are you also here now?  How is it going for you?

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/30/2017 at 0:29 PM, intrepid said:

Ron,  What you are going through is about the same as most everyone when they first transition here.  Myself included.  Even after more than a year I am still learning what works here and what does not.  Also where to get this or that and where not to waste time looking searching.  Anyway, after you get settled I would be interested in how your move here in the Philippines compared to your move when you first settled in Thailand.  I suspect it may have been similar.

It was a different experience really.  I was just ending a very bad divorce, I was still relatively youngish and single and free.  So rather different to this adventure.

Things take on different perspectives when you are in mid 60's and going south.  But I do recall it was a bit of a culture shock.  Now with my priorities changed, I look for stability in things that I do, so we have a peaceful existence.  There are strange things that happen here, that is for sure.  But the good so far has well outweighed the bad.  This is more pleasant but again, my priorities are totally different.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, mogo51 said:

He then showed us where to go for licence information.  Young fellow there just as helpful, gave me information about what to bring back for licence once I have ACR card. 

Was the information classified? LOL Can you share what he told you? I know what the 'rules' are but haven't heard feedback from anyone trying for a new license lately.

• Like 1