LTO Registration and Transfer Of Ownership

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/30/2017 at 1:07 AM, OnMyWay said:

My insurance is in my name and they don't seem to care if the OR/CR are still in his name.  I will just pay up the registration.  Downsides?

I'm still trying to think of the downsides to not changing the ownership.  The only one I see is that when I go to sell, the prospective buyer might be put off by me not being the owner.  However, if we do a notarized deed of sale, it still seems to be ok.

robert k
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm still trying to think of the downsides to not changing the ownership.  The only one I see is that when I go to sell, the prospective buyer might be put off by me not being the owner.  However, if we do a notarized deed of sale, it still seems to be ok.

I wouldn't pay as much for a car without up to date registration. A cheap used motorcycle I wouldn't care as much, but then it would be cheap and easy to walk away from.

When I was looking for used cars on Cebu the ones that were cheap and often didn't sell even cheap were the ones with out of date title. Several of which vehicles I wondered why someone didn't buy them and strip them and leave the carcass on the side of the road. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

why would the shipping / ferry companies

Its not them, its the police.

On many occasions I have crossed island to island without showing registration but sometimes it is demanded.

The one that comes to mind is a ferry that goes from the north end of Danao, Cebu to Isabella on Leyte.  They ALWAYS asked for my registration (but I have not used them in 4 years now so maybe changed).  When I say "they" I mean there was a small one man booth with a police officer who checked OR and CR.  I suspect so long as the vehicle OR is up to date and you have a letter from the CR owner to borrow or sell the vehicle to you that you would get on the boat.  I did try once to get on the boat with the OR left at home.  The officer made me drive home and get it and come back.  Fortunately I was there early and the boat was 1 hour late (always was, without fail).

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm still trying to think of the downsides to not changing the ownership.

If its ever stolen you will have a hard time with the police report if its not "your" vehicle but that does not matter as chances are you'll never get it back anyway :morning1:

If the original seller has a key and you don't change the registration then what's to stop him from stealing it and selling it again? (I haven't seen that done with vehicles but I have seen land sold to multiple people because that same trick of not transferring title is done on land too.)

If you change Regions, the OR has to be paid in the Region the vehicle is registered in so if you have a vehicle registered in Mindanao and you move to Cebu then someone has to go to Mindanao every year to do the renewal.  That is a frequent situation as most of the grey area registrations are done in Mindanao.  You can change the province the vehicle is registered in quite easily if its in your name (and legal) and you move.

(Disclaimer:  The information in this post is based on personal experience and anecdotes from friends so before anyone asks, no I cannot provide a link :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31: )

Edited to change "province" to "region" and anxiously awaiting follow up from OnMyWay :popcorn:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If the original seller has a key and you don't change the registration then what's to stop him from stealing it and selling it again? (I haven't seen that done with vehicles but I have seen land sold to multiple people because that same trick of not transferring title is done on land too.)

In my case that type of thing is unlikely as the seller was a Brit who works for a large well known international company in Manila.

4 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you change provinces, the OR has to be paid in the province the vehicle is registered in so if you have a vehicle registered in Mindanao and you move to Cebu then someone has to go to Mindanao every year to do the renewal.  That is a frequent situation as most of the grey area registrations are done in Mindanao.  You can change the province the vehicle is registered in quite easily if its in your name (and legal) and you move.

Do you mean CR?  I'm fairly certain I can pay the registration here locally.  I did it on my Avanza and it was originally from another province in Luzon.  I will go to LTO to find out.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Do you mean CR?  I'm fairly certain I can pay the registration here locally.  I did it on my Avanza and it was originally from another province in Luzon.  I will go to LTO to find out.

Yes, I meant CR and please post the info if you find out.  If you are going to ask, follow up by asking if it makes a difference if the vehicle is from a different REGION as that is what I should have said in my post.  For example, I could pay for my CR in Ormoc or Biliran which are in two different provinces in the same region, but I could not pay the CR if it was still registered in Cebu.  As usual, your mileage may vary.

EDIT: added a word.  mind is going :bonk:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

In my case that type of thing is unlikely as the seller was a Brit who works for a large well known international company in Manila.

As Dave corrected to, it's Region and his experience is the same as mine.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, robert k said:

And there may never BE a problem as long as the motorcycle stays on Negros. I wouldn't go island hopping with it.

I cannot see any issue here, we travel a lot with car and motor cycles. Never experienced any issue with names on or or OCR,  they just want to ensure the correct fee is paid.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, robert k said:

And there may never BE a problem as long as the motorcycle stays on Negros. I wouldn't go island hopping with it.

Since I was the seller, not the buyer, I definitely won't have a problem.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

Since I was the seller, not the buyer, I definitely won't have a problem.

I have often wondered about that.  If we sell a vehicle and the new owner leaves it in our name, and then the vehicle gets a ticket for something, will we have a bill to pay one day when we go to renew our driver's license?  That's how it works in other countries.

• Like 2