LTO Registration and Transfer Of Ownership

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have often wondered about that.  If we sell a vehicle and the new owner leaves it in our name, and then the vehicle gets a ticket for something, will we have a bill to pay one day when we go to renew our driver's license?  That's how it works in other countries.

That is what I was thinking.  In my Western world, the seller is leaving himself open  However, he does have the deed of sale.

Ran into a new glitch.  I went to the LTO Subic Extension office to ask some questions.  It seems that the Chevy dealer never put the plate in the system when it arrived, well after the guy got the car.  So now I have to get them to put the plate in the system.  Sounds like trouble.  They did verify that the registration renewal is due end of Oct, based on the plate number ending in 00.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have often wondered about that.  If we sell a vehicle and the new owner leaves it in our name, and then the vehicle gets a ticket for something, will we have a bill to pay one day when we go to renew our driver's license?  That's how it works in other countries.

Well I guess you have a bill of sale to prove it isnt yours. You could always say 'I wish you would stop confusing me with that American Hounddriver...'

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Well I guess you have a bill of sale to prove it isnt yours.

Hmmm. I know you had to provide a notarized document with 2 ids, but what did the buyer provide as evidence that you did not just draw up a bill of sale to get out of paying some fines? :56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:

Just picking on you, in 10 years I have never seen that happen, but there is always a first time.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Dave, that would require someone entering the ticket in a database to keep track of it.

I personally would be more interested if you would be partly/wholly responsible for any damage the driver did with a vehicle in our name since we are foreigners and the one with deeper pockets usually pays?

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Unrelated to the Philippines. Back when I was a young man when I traded in for a different car in a different state I couldn't transfer my license plates. Not thinking at all I left them on the car I traded in. 6 months later my parents come home from church on a sunday morning to find the FBI waiting for them. Seems my old license plates got used on the getaway car for a bank robbery. My parents explained I could not have done that because of where I was stationed in the USN which was easy for the FBI to confirm so I was no longer a suspect.

Related to this post, probably not a good thing to have something you sold to someone else still in your name. Or to have something you bought from someone else remain in their name.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/30/2017 at 7:47 AM, robert k said:

I'm not totally sure a notary will notarize the signature of someone who isn't present...but anything is possible I suppose. Some ask 1%, some ask more and some have a set fee.

Really?  I am buying a Toyota Vios in the next couple of days, the owner a high ranking Government employee at local level, is preparing the deed of sale.  I should get him to get it notorised, I am sure it will be cheaper for him than if I try to do it? 1% is 5500 pesos, surely not, that is armed hold up.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Really?  I am buying a Toyota Vios in the next couple of days, the owner a high ranking Government employee at local level, is preparing the deed of sale.  I should get him to get it notorised, I am sure it will be cheaper for him

Nice car. 

2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

, the owner a high ranking Government employee at local level,

Don't be misled. I was scammed out of 31,000p by a lawyer/former board member.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Really?  I am buying a Toyota Vios in the next couple of days, the owner a high ranking Government employee at local level, is preparing the deed of sale.  I should get him to get it notorised, I am sure it will be cheaper for him than if I try to do it? 1% is 5500 pesos, surely not, that is armed hold up.

Ideally you would both be in front of the notary.  They already charge so much that I don't think they care if you are a foreigner.   I guess 1% is the standard.  My wife paid that when she sold her house.

We are finalizing a vehicle purchase today.  The seller has prepared the deed of sale and expects that he can have it notarized today before we meet.  We will sign it when we meet with the seller.  I'll let you know if that does not work.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We are finalizing a vehicle purchase today.  The seller has prepared the deed of sale and expects that he can have it notarized today before we meet.  We will sign it when we meet with the seller.  I'll let you know if that does not work.

So we completed the deal on the "new" (7 months used) car without issues.  He brought the deed of sale with him, already notarized.  The attorney / notary told him that he buyer just has to be named on the deed of sale but does not need to sign it.

So now I will wait 2.5 years before I pursue any changes on the new car, although we are still waiting on the plates.  The seller said he would call when the plates come,  but I might drop by the dealer and see if we can arrange to get them directly when they arrive from LTO.

So next I have to solve the plate problem with the dealer of my old car.

• I'm Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/31/2017 at 7:12 PM, OnMyWay said:

Ran into a new glitch.  I went to the LTO Subic Extension office to ask some questions.  It seems that the Chevy dealer never put the plate in the system when it arrived, well after the guy got the car.  So now I have to get them to put the plate in the system.  Sounds like trouble.  They did verify that the registration renewal is due end of Oct, based on the plate number ending in 00.

We got this glitch solved after some chasing.  Of course, the dealer where our vehicle was originally purchased, Chevy North Edsa, was just at the end of moving to a new location.  Couldn't find any phone numbers that worked including those on the Chevy Philippines website.  I posted about the issue on on the Trailblazer Club FB page and boom, got the number of the Customer Relations Officer.  Even though she did not know what to do, she tracked the problem down and as of today our information is in the LTO database.