Looking through rose tinted glasses

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Here i go again asking the obvious and sometimes silly questions to those folk who have been there and have the tee-shirt too, but its something new to me and maybe a few others who may be following .

I have read about so many things on here about life over in the Philippines from people who like life there and those who dont seem to enjoy it as much.

I was just looking at places that could be nice to live in and i remembered what someone said in another post about the house being so grand and just to big for the later years in life , so why build so big , could it be to show off, could it be you have so many kids , or so much money you have to spend it on something.

I think in my quest of a nice life over there is safety first but to see as much as i can when we can , i dont fancy sitting in a house looking out at a concrete wall wondering what is on the other side, or afraid to go on the other side. but am i being realistic about that.

Do you have to live with a wall around you to protect you or is that to protect your belongings , will a privet edge do , i do know its not England where you stand either side or a chain link fence or a white picket fence in the USA and you know you are safe to a certain extent .

All the folk i have been to see over in the Phils do have this wall or some great big dogs i must add.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, stevewool said:

All the folk i have been to see over in the Phils do have this wall or some great big dogs i must add.

In line with the rose tinted glasses, the walls are there so that nobody steals the imported dogs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

No one leaves valuable property unsecured and open to theft in the United States. I lock the car. I lock the bike. I don't leave jewelry on a car seat in easy sight. Why? It's a temptation to steal, and someone will succumb. 

However, in the US, I don't worry about leaving my muddy boots in the bed of the pickup truck. No one is going to bother to steal that.

In a wealthy neighborhood, I don't worry about things a lot more valuable than that.

But I've had muddy boots stolen under exactly those circumstances in Central America.

In a poor country, things of small value that it would not occur to anyone as worth the trouble of stealing in a rich country are nevertheless tempting to steal. It's a tempting thing when you are truly poor. Barred windows and doorways, walled property, these are things that discourage the temptation.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Reboot said:

In a poor country, things of small value that it would not occur to anyone as worth the trouble of stealing in a rich country are nevertheless tempting to steal.

I know it sounds funny to others but I cannot even guess at the number of padlocks I used to buy.  I kept "misplacing them" and had to go buy another.  Then I was informed that I was unlocking my gate and leaving the unlocked padlock in reach of locals.  They stole it for the scrap metal value.  Here's me spending a few hundred pesos on a new padlock every few days so some scrounger can steal it and sell it for 5 pesos.  I don't even want to calculate what that lesson cost me.

• Like 5