Looking through rose tinted glasses

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

If we take of the colored glasses, we must admit that we live in a country where the attitude is "whats mine is mine and whats yours is mine!" :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I was amazed, almost horrified at my new wifes attitude when we moved to the states years ago. Her lak of trust in our neighbors et. really konserned me.

After many visits and upon moving here I have learned that if it is not nailed down and within easy reah it is fair game.

My favorite story is when I was helping a neighbor years ago fixing his roof, I notised a long pole with a krooked nail on the end, I asked what it was for and was told "its a fishing pole". Someone would get on the roof and reah through near by windows.

No matter what we do, if someone really, really wants to get into your house and take your stuff, they will. All you can do is make it so difficult that they decide to go to your neighbors house and take their stuff :whistling:

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

When we first got here, we lived in a nearby development while we built. It was a tiny place with a cold water shower and a typical short wall with decorative bars on top. I enjoyed sitting outside and watching the neighbors come and go to the sarisari across the street, the kids playing in the street and the cats and dogs run around. After we moved here behind our wall, it felt like being cut off from the world.

We could not have there what we have here, it was just too small of a place. I can't help but sometimes feel that what we've gained in relative security, we've lost in humanity.

wall.jpg

I agree a lot with the above post. 

Whilst I'm under no illusion about security here, my experience thus far has been ok. Thus far being the operative words.

I don't want to live in a compound, I've gone for reasonable security that's at least as good as my neighbours. Also, I don't assume everyone wants to steal from me - self-fulfilling prophecy and all that. If you think that, others will sense you think that and that's you near the top of the 'hit list' in my opinion.

• Like 5

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Just to add where we live we are surrounded by cousins and there is a lot of jealous

And all around us there is poverty and families living in wooden shacks with dirt floors

And we often get asked for money which we often give .

When we retired we added a car port and large security gates mywife was soon told

Some are saying we were showing off !

Since then we have built our home bought a bayo kubo, then bought a urvan

Which we later sold to a brother and we then bought a new car !

We have been improving things even today we have a builder laying floor tiles in an extension which we rent to a student the garden which i call the jungle is full of flowers and a small orchid house.

Fo me its all about keeping the little woman happy and seeing her smile.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, scott h said:

If we take of the colored glasses, we must admit that we live in a country where the attitude is "whats mine is mine and whats yours is mine!" :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

This today could be anywhere in the world.

The west i feel is fast becoming this way, i wonder why.

• Like 2

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

We have a wall around house about 7ft high, no wire or glass on it..............yet

Back wall area I have planted lots of thorny bourganvillia to grow up and over, lots of thorns about an inch long it.  Once established will be both decorative, practical and very thorny!

Front wall is across the irrigation deep which is 3ft wide and have a wall with decorative open stainless on.  Will see how it goes when the time comes.

8 CCTV cameras covering external house from each corner, drive way, gate etc.

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

When we retired we added a car port and large security gates mywife was soon told

Some are saying we were showing off !

We built a car port and have no car. I think the neighbors say we're not too bright! :bonk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted (edited)

Queenie O, love what you say and you are obviously a thinker and a humanitarian great and minimal and have a wonderful life where you live, feel secure etc. The house we purchased on the beach has this beautiful 7 foot high wall 60 odd metres long between us and one neighbour, capitols on the top of each column and rendered both sides, a truely beautiful fence that really serves no purpose apart from looking really swanky. Is it to keep my neighbours out or in? Impressive yes just like all the fences and polished stainless steel entries to other properties in our local.

The rest of the property has a 6 ft high bamboo fence  and zilch to the South China Sea. My Pinoy partner told me we need to duplicate the beautiful fence around the rest of the perimeter,,,,,,,,,,, what for I asked? To keep people out he retorted. Keep people out? Was my response, yes the thieves was his response, a fence will keep people out? Sorry sport, glass, razor wire or electric fences won't keep dedicated crooks out, that's why God made ladders and wire cutters. I won't fortify our boundaries and very much doubt multiple CCTV, maybe one at the gate to vet visitors/vagrants. Pick where you live, the previous owner never had a problem, a Canadian gentleman that built the house 7years ago, probably because like you Queenie, he interacted with the locals and didn't show off and gained respect. Our house will be lock up so we can and will sleep at ease, 1 or 2 dogs for added security? Doubt it, If we have a dog it will be a family member and not manged like most dogs we come across but will hopefully bark if something is awry.

Rose coloured glasses? I have been looking through these all my life and see the good and bad in people like others, refuse to live a life in a beautiful country in fear, receive what you give, be honest and forthright, respect and it will be returned. Good topic that made me think, TY Steve.

And to you JD (love my JD) a carport is a great place for a table tennis table or a pool table or somewhere to work, you don't need to park your car there to warrant having one. Invite the neighbours over, enjoy. 

Ready for the flack, I have broad shoulders.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by bigpearl
  • Like 4