safe way to carry funds

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Hi guys

When i head to the phils in a few months or so ,what is the best way to take your tourist money ,id preferr not to walk around with a couple of grand stuffed into a wallet ,so ideas please?

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Hi guys

When i head to the phils in a few months or so ,what is the best way to take your tourist money ,id preferr not to walk around with a couple of grand stuffed into a wallet ,so ideas please?

Debit card may be best

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

What we do is carry cards and my wife has an account with Land Bank, PI can open a Land Bank account. All they have to do is leave 500 peso to keep it open, no account keeping fees, electronic transfer from anywhere in the world, reverse transfer back home if need be. And get this, they pay interest on funds in the account, a full 9 peso on 100 k peso, wow:shades:, jest aside, it better than charges. Also you can check the account balance electronically. If only holidaying by yourself, use card and suck the exorbitant fees the banks charge.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bastonjock said:

Hi guys

Open an account in the UK with PNB or some other Phills bank and you will get a debit card and the charges will be less than if you use your uk card.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

Just a foot note, let your bank know, in Australia they will cancel your card if it is not registered for overseas withdrawals. 

My Uk card was stopped here and I had to call them.I nearly had a heart attack when they said we didn`t know you were in the Philippines? really so where do you send my paperwork to,their reply oh yes silly us.Tw@ts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Bring enough cash to exchange for peso's as emergency money just in case there is a problem with your debit card. You can also use a credit card some places but remember that cash is king in the Philippines and many places do not take debit or credit cards. You need to have cash, that is just the way it is.

Regarding cash you may want to get USD to bring with you. There are money changers everywhere who will exchange USD for peso's.

Use a money belt that can be well hidden, have a throw away wallet. Throw away wallet is one you keep expired ID and/or credit cards, some pictures and some cash you can give to robbers to satisfy them, just in case, that won't cause you much trouble if you lose it. Don't keep all your cash and debit/credit cards in the same place. Use a hotel/room safe for your emergency cards/cash.

Make a laminated color copy of your passport ID page to carry with you so you can keep your passport in a safe place like your money belt or room safe.

Make sure you notify your banks and credit card company's of your international travel plans so they do not get declined.

Ohh.  In tourist area's there will be pick pockets. Make sure you don't leave, money, phone, etc. in pockets which can get picked. I have been pick pocketed twice. Once was just a pack of smokes, no big deal. The other time was a very nice 6 month old smart phone. Both happened on the sidewalk during daylight.

Prepare your self with some simple precautions then just enjoy your trip.

• Like 5

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Bring cash is good. I do. Also bring multiple cards...and call all of them before leaving.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bastonjock said:

,so ideas please?

Cargo shorts! If I carry a wallet, it is in my front right hand pocket (I usually walk with my hand in there anyway lol), cell phone in buttoned pocket. Have never had a problem. If I am not carrying a wallet (just wandering around the neighbor hood, ID in Velcro pocket, cash in front right hand pocket.

Since none of you know where I live, or what bank I go to lol, when we go to the bank and withdrawal dollars, I just put them in my button down cargo pocket and I am good to go.

Now this is just my experience and opinion, if it is visible, it is at risk, notice how many folks here wear their back packs in the front.

Having said all that, if you are one of those unfortunates that have knobby knees and look real bad in shorts.............sorry pal, your just out of luck:hystery: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, scott h said:

Having said all that, if you are one of those unfortunates that have knobby knees and look real bad in shorts.............sorry pal, your just out of luck

Hey, that's me. I never wore shorts, but about 10 years ago I realized it didn't matter what other people thought of my knobby knees.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2