safe way to carry funds

jpbago
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It would be a bit silly to have the ATM all the way inside the bank as it would only be available banking hours.  I can only guess that you mean in a secure area that is inside the bank "area" but separated from the bank itself so that you actually have to go inside the building but not the bank.  Make sense?

Yes, I mean in a secure area inside the bank but separated from the bank itself, when the bank is closed, your ATM card lets you in to that area. When the bank is open, that area is open to the bank. I have not seen anything like that here. If they had those here, the security guard inside the bank could watch them at night.

22 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Then we get to the situation where the actual ATM is IN the bank but the customer access to the machine is through the wall of the bank from the outside.  Are you calling these machines "outside the bank"?

Yes, those ones are outside the bank and the security guard is inside the bank out of sight. 

35 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In all of these situations there is usually a security guard somewhere nearby but not always visible and not watching you use the machine.

This is when the skimmers and cameras are attached, when he is not watching you use the machine. I believe it happened twice in Cebu and once in San Fernando recently, like last week.

For the ATMs in the SM hallway I don't know who is in the mall when it is closed, maybe cleaners and security.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

Do you have ATMs inside the bank? We do not. BDO (and others I believe) have their ATMs outside the bank. There is one security guard but he is inside the bank at night and two guards during the day also inside. Even at SM Bacolod, BDO is inside the mall but their ATMs are outside the bank in the hallway. Nobody is watching the ATMs.

Sometimes, but I said 'at a bank' not 'in a bank', and if there is a problem you can go inside to get it resolved. Much easier to put in a fake or add a card reader to a free standing ATM by itself than one a few steps from the door of a bank. Not 100% safe but better odds of being safe.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

At the BPI bank I used in Baguio they had two sets of doors. An outer set and an inner set. In that atrium were 3 ATM's. When the bank was closed the inner set would be locked. There was always a guard. The guard would manage the people queuing to use the ATM's. Felt pretty safe to me.

• Like 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted

We use BPI, the ATM's, 2, are right next to the bank door with security guard outside during banking hours. We also never use a tricycle from outside the bank but pick one up from the mall further down the road, as an extra precaution.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/31/2017 at 4:28 AM, Clermont said:

Just a foot note, let your bank know, in Australia they will cancel your card if it is not registered for overseas withdrawals. 

I always let them know when I am going overseas (which is most of the time.  I carry cash, it speaks all languages and I do not get charged fees which I hate.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, earthdome said:

At the BPI bank I used in Baguio they had two sets of doors. An outer set and an inner set. In that atrium were 3 ATM's. When the bank was closed the inner set would be locked. There was always a guard. The guard would manage the people queuing to use the ATM's. Felt pretty safe to me.

Could anybody open the outer set of doors when the bank was closed? With a guard there 24/7 you should be safe but I still feel safer using a cashier during the day. I am retired so no reason to go there after hours..

At my bank in Canada, during after hours, you insert your ATM card from that bank only (not the branch only), in a slot on the outer door, when you open the door you face a camera above the ATM and one in the ATM. Your info is recorded when you insert your card in to open the door just like at a hotel door. Also, at my bank, the ATMs do not belong to that bank.

The other day, I was walking our dog by the BDO at around 6 AM and saw a young lady carrying a baby knock on the bank doors. The curtains were drawn. A guard opened the door and talked to the lady while holding the door open. They were arguing and the lady was walking away so the guard followed her walking about 30 feet from the door. He had no gun belt. I was closer to the unlocked door than he was and he was distracted. Bad guard!

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, jpbago said:

Do you have ATMs inside the bank? We do not. BDO (and others I believe) have their ATMs outside the bank.

The BDO branches near me have ATM's in both locations (i.e., inside and outside of the bank).

Personally, I feel much safer whenever I use the inside ATM's during business hours... but when I'm in a pinch, I use the outside ATM's.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Personally, I feel much safer whenever I use the inside ATM's during business hours... but when I'm in a pinch, I use the outside ATM's

Having had problems with ATMs not giving cash I can tell you it makes no difference.  You still have to go into the bank and file a report that the ATM shorted you and it still has to go to head office and it still takes days to hear back, EVEN IF the ATM machine is sitting 3 feet away from the guy you are reporting it to and EVEN IF you are in your own bank.  But if you are in your own bank they have access to your account and they can tell you if the money was debited from your account.

Problem is, in my case, the money WAS debited from my account so I start doing all the paperwork (what a pain in the ass) and then the assistant manager wants me to go try the machine again instead of just giving me cash at the teller (they hate doing that for some reason and charge 100 pesos for the privilege of taking money via the human teller vs free from the ATM).  Anyway, to make a long story short, I lose it and use my "loud foreigner voice" and it turns out the money WAS debited from my account but 5 minutes later was credited back so I lost nothing as the system worked.  At that point they gave me cash over the counter, no charge.

• Like 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Having had problems with ATMs not giving cash I can tell you it makes no difference. 

Dave, I was speaking about possible problems with people who carry knives or guns. That's why I feel safer when I use the ATM's that are inside of the bank.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Dave, I was speaking about possible problems with people who carry knives or guns. That's why I feel safer when I use the ATM's that are inside of the bank.

:89: Whilst I agree we should all be Vigilant I think we are creating  a Sinister view of a  very unlikely happening. Unless one of us is going to an ATM really late at night of even very early in the Morning (Darkness I mean) I doubt very, very much that anyone on this Forum has encountered such things (If they had they would have spoken up before now. We should Remember that there are many newcomers and wanna be newcomers on this Forum and here we are Frightening the Life out of them. YES! vigilant and observant we should be , Don't be Alone  If you can Possibly help it. If the Bank is Open Ask a guard to keep an eye on you if you are going to Draw a large Amount (They will if you are a Customer of the Bank) If the bank is closed, do you really need that WAD Tonight?

Just my Thoughts G & G's but having been here many years I certainly, have never had a problem at ATM's with a Hold Up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1