safe way to carry funds

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

We should Remember that there are many newcomers and wanna be newcomers on this Forum and here we are Frightening the Life out of them.  YES! vigilant and observant we should be

That is precisely the reason I did my travel warning post yesterday. So much written and posted about danger around every corner when that is simply not the case. Yes, you can find danger so be aware. Generally though relax and enjoy the Philippines.

• Like 4

marine6357
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

That is precisely the reason I did my travel warning post yesterday. So much written and posted about danger around every corner when that is simply not the case. Yes, you can find danger so be aware. Generally though relax and enjoy the Philippines.

After reading these and another thread about safety and security I was beginning to rethink my decision to move to the Philippines. But I think just as AlwaysRt says I too was A Marine and pretty hyper-vigilant i will just remind myself that there is sometimes a threat but not always. 

• Like 4

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

Does anyone know if ATMs accepting debit cards with chips (as opposed to magnetic stripes) have become common in the Philippines yet?

In August 2015 this did not seem to be the case and I spent a morning and 600 pesos in a taxi riding around Subic Freeport trying to find an ATM that would accept a chip only card and that was connected to the China Unionpay network.

On subsequent visits I avoided the problem by carrying an older card with both chip and stripe.

Now, like another poster, I have opened an account with a UK bank to simplify pension payments and their Visa debit card is chip only.

:56da64aa52228_23_9_101:

Edited by not so old china hand

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, not so old china hand said:

Does anyone know if ATMs accepting debit cards with chips (as opposed to magnetic stripes) have become common in the Philippines yet?

My bank only started issuing the chip + stripe cards this January.  I would not expect many ATMs to be familiar with the "chip only" card but maybe you will get lucky.

• Sad 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've seen adverts in banks telling everyone to replace their old cards with the new standard chip cards. I'm looking forward to some working and some not now :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, not so old china hand said:

BDO issues the chip debit/credit card starting July 1/17 to new accounts and will be replacing the mag cards later on this year, so they say.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

My bank only started issuing the chip + stripe cards this January.  I would not expect many ATMs to be familiar with the "chip only" card but maybe you will get lucky.

2 hours ago, jpbago said:

BDO issues the chip debit/credit card starting July 1/17 to new accounts and will be replacing the mag cards later on this year, so they say.

https://www.bdo.com.ph/emv

Their web site says you  can tap, type, insert or swipe so its likely the same as my PSBank has already issued me.  In order to swipe, it has the magnetic strip but it also has the chip for the other features.  The problem is that china hand's card is chip only and there will still be a lot of machines that only read the stripe, even though the card has both.

3 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

Visa debit card is chip only.

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Their web site says you  can tap, type, insert or swipe so its likely the same as my PSBank has already issued me.  In order to swipe, it has the magnetic strip but it also has the chip for the other features.  The problem is that china hand's card is chip only and there will still be a lot of machines that only read the stripe, even though the card has both.

I did a few searches on the Web to see if I could find out a bit more. Apparently the country's Central Bank told Philippine Banks they must be EMV compliant  (ie chip enabled ) by 1st January 2017. At least one bank has announced that it is fully compliant and will not support non-EMV compliant cards after 1st September 2017: only seven months after the deadline.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/money/companies/616948/psbank-to-deactivate-non-emv-cards-on-sept-1-as-it-shifts-to-chip-enabled-ones/story/?related

However I will still make sure I have sufficient cash and a Plan C when I next come to  the Philippines.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

It is worrying what you do read or see and hear from a few folk,

I was talking to one said person, he has a great place in Palawan , but is moving to come back here in the Midlands, yes he works here and his wife and family are over in Palawan.

He says it's changing for the worst in his eyes, but if I had young children just like him I would have stayed here in England and not send his family back , but each to there own.

The world is changing, our safe lives here in England is changing so quick these days, it is frightening, but it will not stop me going about my business.

The Philippines is on my list of places to live and stay, Ihave invested to much just to say sorry I am afraid, but then again if it turned out to be a bad place we can walk away too.

Dave mentioning Steve has come out the closit thing, now that's frightening.:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I just checked my cards, they have all been 'upgraded' this year to the chip but they all also have the strip on the back. None are chip only.