Recent Visayas Travel Warnings

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Many people thinking of visiting and even some here already have asked questions and had concerns about safety. I thought I would write a short something about my recent trip from Valencia to Siquijor - Trigger warning, you may not like my humor.

Scheduled a trip to Siquijor with a few couples to celebrate one of the wives birthday. Getting ferry tickets in Dumaguete was no problem, 'security check' of IDs, and check of tickets to collect 'terminal fee'  and we were on the boat. Only had to fight off pirates twice between islands. Once there I was killed 6 times in two days and kidnapped 3 times. To get back today we stole a pirate ship and looted a ferry to pay for our trip....

OK, very enjoyable trip. I have pretty sharp 'street sense' along with being trained as a Marine to have constant situational awareness. Other than being eyed up by a couple scammers for trike rides/motorcycle rentals, we were never around and I never saw any type of danger anywhere. I think the standard rule is all that is needed, don't be stupid and put yourself in the path of trouble (stumbling down the street yelling about stupid locals at 3am too drunk to walk straight....) and the Philippines can be very enjoyable and safe.

They kidnapped you 3 times and still got rid of you?You must have made one hell of an impression haha.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

They kidnapped you 3 times and still got rid of you?You must have made one hell of an impression haha.

Took them that many times to learn how to make a toasted peanut butter and jelly sandwich over a fire (thanks boyscouts ) LOL

• Like 5

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

You are lucky, the Witches of Siquijor didn't get you.

And I thought it was going to turn into a field report about Siquijor.

Damn it!!! I was totally going to include mysterious happenings with 'the white lady' but forgot - maybe she put a spell on me so I wouldn't warn you... LOL

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

We went a few years ago, no witches, although handing out the life vests on the boat across was a bit concerning.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Many people thinking of visiting and even some here already have asked questions and had concerns about safety. I thought I would write a short something about my recent trip from Valencia to Siquijor - Trigger warning, you may not like my humor.

Scheduled a trip to Siquijor with a few couples to celebrate one of the wives birthday. Getting ferry tickets in Dumaguete was no problem, 'security check' of IDs, and check of tickets to collect 'terminal fee'  and we were on the boat. Only had to fight off pirates twice between islands. Once there I was killed 6 times in two days and kidnapped 3 times. To get back today we stole a pirate ship and looted a ferry to pay for our trip....

OK, very enjoyable trip. I have pretty sharp 'street sense' along with being trained as a Marine to have constant situational awareness. Other than being eyed up by a couple scammers for trike rides/motorcycle rentals, we were never around and I never saw any type of danger anywhere. I think the standard rule is all that is needed, don't be stupid and put yourself in the path of trouble (stumbling down the street yelling about stupid locals at 3am too drunk to walk straight....) and the Philippines can be very enjoyable and safe.

Was captain pugwash the  pirate

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Nothing wrong with your humour RT.

• Thanks 1

CoffeeRulzMe
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Kuya John said:

You are lucky, the Witches of Siquijor didn't get you.

And I thought it was going to turn into a field report about Siquijor.

Clickbait for sure.  I took the bait.  LOL.