Home Security

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, sonjack2847 said:

I am all for having home security,but don`t let it be a hamper if you need to get out in an emergency.

Something I think we all forget mate, safety and security should go together :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

I am all for having home security,but don`t let it be a hamper if you need to get out in an emergency.

Yes. I'd hate to be trapped behind the welded bars you see on so many houses. Better to have the ones that pull open or closed from the inside in seconds. I've a feeling the fire service might turn up a few weeks after the event.

I'd also look into those electrical shutters you see being operated smoothly using a remote control. Is there a mechanical over ride in the event of those ever so rare brown outs? :89:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Snowy79 said:

Is there a mechanical over ride in the event of those ever so rare brown outs? :89:

If not, Back to the batteries EH?

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

Yes. I'd hate to be trapped behind the welded bars you see on so many houses. Better to have the ones that pull open or closed from the inside in seconds. I've a feeling the fire service might turn up a few weeks after the event.

I'd also look into those electrical shutters you see being operated smoothly using a remote control. Is there a mechanical over ride in the event of those ever so rare brown outs? :89:

You have to make sure you can get out in seconds just think about the people who have died in building when the fire exit was locked or blocked.Security yes but make it safe for yourself in the event of an emergency.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I would build a 4 foot wall with an iron fence on top with spikes.That way it would not seem like I was a captive in my own home.I also think CCTV is a good idea.The best deterrent is a pair of Dobermans(left loose in the garden) or such like breed.They can be your friends and security guards.

• Like 5

Mr-T
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

I would build a 4 foot wall with an iron fence on top with spikes.That way it would not seem like I was a captive in my own home.I also think CCTV is a good idea.The best deterrent is a pair of Dobermans(left loose in the garden) or such like breed.They can be your friends and security guards.

That is what we have here. We can see outside and they can see inside, i think that is a good deterent. Also have motion detector set up high. Window bars and one dog, plus CCTV. Perimeter lights all around. Not going to be paranoid to the point of not sleeping at night. Cannot stop break in but it will not be too easy and we will be alerted. 

Heard of one foreigner who was so strung out he was in his back yard at 2 AM. with his gun. Maybe spooked by stray dogs or cat.

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

As a security expert you may appreciate that many filipino thieves have figured out the easiest way to get into a normal house is to pry up a bit of the metal roof and come through the ceiling.   Carrying a big bolo knife certainly helps with that and its amazing but most filipinos don't look up so they can carry out a theft under the noses of the neighbors and above the range of many cameras..

There's an added tip in that.  Most home break-ins are done by underage kids under the supervision of an adult.  its because nothing happens to them if they get caught.  They are minors so they get sent home to mama and papa with a stern lecture.  But as i said, most filipinos don't look up so if you have valuables to hide, put them on top of the closet and chances are they won't be seen or stolen.  Just leave the least valuable stuff at eye level because thieves don't like to leave empty handed.

Good thoughts Dave especially the concrete roof we are considering putting on our house and extensions, shutters or roller doors as mentioned is another thing we thought about but more for the typhoons but do have a dual purpose. Great topic.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

I thought about maybe digging a moat around the house, but have you seen the price of drawbridges these days. :mocking:

Plus, I can't draw. :mellow:

• Like 3