Home Security

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

I thought about maybe digging a moat around the house, but have you seen the price of drawbridges these days. :mocking:

Let alone the maintenance costs, feeding the Piranha, de silting the moat and draw bridge repairs? Cheaper to install an electric fence or hire a guard, loyal with a gun.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

How do they work when you want to leave the windows open at night to let the breeze through instead of 24/7 aircon?

When I lived in Belgium steel roller shutters covering windows were very common. The horizontal slats were pierced above their bottom edge and slotted into the slat below. There were two closed positions: fully down and slightly up.  In the second position the shutter would allow light and, if the window were left open, air into the room. These worked with sliding windows and (AFAICR) with casement windows hung in the French style to swing inwards.

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Perhaps some people should move to Guantanamo bay I think you would be safe there.Look at your surroundings and see how safe you are do not generalise as it does not work.

• Like 2
  • I'm Confused 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Safety is a false concept.  I bet Abel thought he was safe when the only other people in his world were his mom and dad and brother (Adam and Eve and Cain).

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Benington said:

These views of the OP remind me of some interviews shown on CNN a few months back with some US/Mexico Border guards re the Wall. They sensibly thought that a Border fence was a much better idea as they would then have a chance to see from ground level any preparations to climb the Wall on the Mexican side. Less reliance on expensive overflights. They didn't mention the "self induced prisoner effect" but lessening that would have made the Wall's opponents feel better about the project, which would anyway have been much cheaper enabling funds to be diverted to other border security measures, something there is a consensus on.

Of course a fence would be much less impressive to Trump's base support, but as of now it looks like an extensive new Wall, as envisaged by Trump, may never be built due to Republican opposition on the budget.

Fence is too easy to cut. Cut a slit and squeeze through and the cut isn't visible at any distance.  http://www.hooverfence.com/howto/howtocut.htm

You can also drive a vehicle through a fence, stolen vehicle, not too worried about it getting scratched. Added bonus of you don't have to steal the ranchers truck on the other side as happens so often. You really shouldn't believe what CNN says, most people in the US don't. 

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

If you want an 8ft wall around your property just buy a condo. :whistling:

Tough finding that bargain priced 300sq meter condo, for those that need room. Condos aren't very happy with the gas barbecue either.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well guy's this Topic is predominantly about security in Philippines, although safety is a matter wherever you happen to live.

Generalising not quite sure what you mean by that Sonjack, other than, even in Philippines you must agree, there are some places safer than others,

just the same as anywhere else in the World. We can all take precautions to enhance our safety at home, go outside and get knock down by a bus.

Life is risky full stop and as was pointed out in another thread, adding a little humour helps to deal with it.

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

It's definitely all about making yourself less attractive to robbing than your neighbour. 

Light and sound before they reach your property and visual to neighbours is always the first line of defence. 

If they get to your doors or Windows again why make it easy. I like the decorative barriers that you can pull across from behind the glass and doors. It'll take a pretty determined or drugged up individual a good hour to get through the likes of Trellidor 

Locks are easily picked with a little practice so use dead bolts where possible. 

A decent sized dog inside roaming downstairs and try to leave a few sets of basketball player sized work boots by the main door. The bigger the better :thumbsup:

I used to booby trap outside areas of my house where no one could get to without an invite. Nothing life threatening but enough to make a mess. In Scotland I had a side gate that was never used. I lived alone and the gate was basically a 6ft wooden door between my garage and house with no handles on the outside. Behind it there was a trip wire leading to a bucket of engine oil which I left on the edge of the garage roof. It helped me catch a burglar as sure enough he kicked the door open then walked into the trip wire. 

I even used to switch the earth wire and live wire on big electrical items when I went on holiday lol.

Hahaha Snowy you made me think of the Home Alone movies and the booby traps!:smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXUQu9RC4U

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted
On 8/3/2017 at 0:33 AM, robert k said:

Fence is too easy to cut. Cut a slit and squeeze through and the cut isn't visible at any distance.  http://www.hooverfence.com/howto/howtocut.htm

You can also drive a vehicle through a fence, stolen vehicle, not too worried about it getting scratched. Added bonus of you don't have to steal the ranchers truck on the other side as happens so often. You really shouldn't believe what CNN says, most people in the US don't. 

Actually I've found the "Fake News" CNN quite convincing on many US issues recently since they usually quote multiple sources and are mostly proved later to be correct. I don't know about "most people in the US", but it does seem that many are willing to believe "alternative facts".

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/16/politics/trump-border-wall/index.html

There are pros and cons for both types of structure, but please note the fence would be double. It will be interesting to see if Trump eventually rows back from his expensive proposal and goes for a cheaper fence. If he doesn't ,and I doubt he will, it will be another example of one of his rallying cries to be denied by the statutory Trump supporter on TV panels, despite "fake news media" playing example after example of such statements from his campaign and the early days of his Presidency. He will no doubt dress it up by saying that his other measures have been so successful in cutting illegal immigration that there is now need for it. The base will swallow that.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

So if the invaders cross the moat (Rio Grande) and climb the wall, will there be archers at the top and pots of boiling oil to pour on them?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2