Do we think the same

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Not to sure where to place this , but i am sure someone may move it if they think its in the wrong thread.

Now we all now that because we are white we are rich and if we are living abroad we live in castles , and if there is a family member who is lucky enough to marry or be a girlfriend/boyfriend , well then they are rich too.

Yes it may be a little fun sometimes in making these comments but sometimes its so true, again why is this.

Just been looking on facebook and SIL is on there putting all this stupid sayings on there and videos too.

Look after your parents because one day they wont be there and other stupid pictures , this is the sil who has not bothered to contribute or even get back to Emma about there father, i could not help myself but reply to her stupid picture stating that we all should look after our parents as they look after us all, but i think she was getting at her own children.

Dont they see what  i see, can they be so self centered and greedy in just there own world, we love our family and we will do all we can for them, does that mean there own family now, sod there parents.

love-you-parents.jpg

I am wondering here , "know their value when you see their empty chair", could this mean what they have left them in there wills.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Only a fool argues with a fool. Intended respectfully Steve. there is no way you will change your sister in laws way of thinking and in fact are likely to make things worse all around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

I agree with old 55, attitudes can't be changed. The culture of the PI are get what you can to survive, saying that, while the parents are alive most children will bend over backwards to help them in sickness, I have been around enough of my wife's relations over the last 4 years and if one is VERY sick they generally all rally around, maybe it might only be 10 peso towards their medicin. Example: a cartaker in the baragay was murdered and had 5 children, not a peso to his name, the Baragay passed the hat around, they got enough to give him a decent burial. What us westerners don't take into account is material things, if it doesn't make money for them directly they won't fund it. Keep up the good work for the old fellow, you are not going to get recognition from the family. Your better half knows you helped her fathers livlyhood improve, and so do the distant relations. Maybe a celebration meal to Christian the bike would be in order, just to let the neighbors know you bought the bike and no one else, even invite the sister in law 😇.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, stevewool said:

Dont they see what  i see, can they be so self centered and greedy in just there own world

No, they see us foreigners as being self centered and greedy because we don't share everything we have.  Sharing means giving to them of course.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, stevewool said:

Look after your parents because one day they wont be there and other stupid pictures , this is the sil who has not bothered to contribute or even get back to Emma about there father, i could not help myself but reply to her stupid picture stating that we all should look after our parents as they look after us all, but i think she was getting at her own children.

You could also post something like 'yes it is a shame some children have no respect for their parents. I even heard recently when a daughter was contacted to help her father, she refused to reply and certainly did not help him.' You did not publicly shame her because you mentioned no names but she and the family will know exactly what you meant.

• Like 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted

Do we think the same  confused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

Short Answer:  Of course not!

Long Answer:  It is known that people do, in fact, think differently. Many psychological tests measure "cognitive styles" (such as convergent, divergent, assimilating), preferences (such as Myers-Briggs or the NEO PI-R) or personality clusters (such as the Enneagram).

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Do we think the same  confused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

Short Answer:  Of course not!

Long Answer:  It is known that people do, in fact, think differently. Many psychological tests measure "cognitive styles" (such as convergent, divergent, assimilating), preferences (such as Myers-Briggs or the NEO PI-R) or personality clusters (such as the Enneagram).

:hystery: MY, My, I hope we don't all think the same, What a boring beer meet that would be EH? :89:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I think regardless of their faults if we look back to our home countries how many know of family members that give all their wages to the family minus living expenses? I've certainly met more people here that make sacrifices than I did in the West. Maybe they're just playing catch up with us. 

• Like 3

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

We all see our ideal selves. Those who see themselves as they are live atop mountains in Tibet and dispense their wisdom to the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Those who see themselves as they are live atop mountains in Tibet and dispense their wisdom to the rest of us.

Many foreigners, who have lived a long time here, (some as long as 50 years - thinking of one Baptist minister in Biliran) have stopped dispensing their wisdom to the rest of us as they realize that the newcomers already know everything and are not open to ancient wisdom.  I enjoy speaking with them as they almost NEVER come on forums like this one.