mogo51
Posted
Posted

Love fresh herbs also Queenie.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Very nice. Aloe Vera is handy to have around for burns. I have one in my home here in the US. It seems impossible to kill Aloe Vera. I haven't watered it for years and it continues to survive.

• Like 2

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

:smile:

I'm growing rosemary right now, but no "maryjane"!

Queenie, get off the grass and keep planting, hugs.

Cheers, Steve.

• Haha 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

I  love to cook with herbs and spices.  I wanted an outdoor herb collection to be able to use fresh herbs too.  Some were started with seeds that my sister sent me from the US, and some I just found at local nurseries and a herb place in Cebu City. I wasn't sure how herbs would even grow in the humid climate here, but surprisingly they seem to be doing well so far. I'm hoping for some plants that do grow from cuttings, rhat20170807_170442.jpg I can grow some plants big enough to be a "mother plant" . That way I can keep adding new pots to my collection. The soil need for these herbs is a softer soil with added rice hulls, that can be found by the sack in many local garden nurseries. Most of these herbs can be kept rather on the dry side so frequent watering is not so important except for the basil, that likes to be watered more often. I'm hoping to add a pot of lemongrass nearby too. My husband built me a plant stand from some scrap wood that he had, and I located it near the back door in the sun for easy access during cooking!  Even if I don't ever use them for cooking or teas, it's just pleasant to have and smell the lovely fragrance of these herbs that I was used to growing in my old place. Like old friends back again after not seeing them for a while! It's a fun project that some of you might want to try. Even a sunny windowsill could accommodate s few herb plants indoors. 

Here's a list of the ones I have:

apple mint

catmint

Cuban oregano

spearmint

sweet basil

chives

tarragon

rosemary

sage

white sage

flat leaf parsley

Swiss mint

dill

aloe vera

lemon balm

Italian oregano

holy basil

Some nice plants there Queenie and good variety. My original plantings of Tarragon, Mint and Thyme got destroyed by one of my dogs, he loves digging. I have now had some herbs donated to me by a chef I know here, in pots this time. I've now got Mint, Thyme, Oregano, 2xRosemary, Tarragon, Curry Leaves and Sweet Basil, the Basil I've now planted in the ground and doing quite well. The Thyme is a bit weak at the moment and I lost Flat Leaf Parsley after a few drenchings and bakings. I would love some Sage but have not found that or Coriander here as yet, sometimes in the supermarket will see if there is enough to root from next time it's in. The Tarragon is going mad so will cut some of that off and air dry it, just need to find some butchers type string for that, nowhere seems to sell that around here. 

I'll take some pics and post soon. Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, earthdome said:

Very nice. Aloe Vera is handy to have around for burns. I have one in my home here in the US. It seems impossible to kill Aloe Vera. I haven't watered it for years and it continues to survive.

Thanks! That's true Earthdome. Sometimes I get a burn while using the oven, and if I rub some of the gel from the aloe leaf on it, it takes the pain away and leaves no red mark!  It''s true that not a lot of watering is needed back in the US, but in my experience here, it seems to like a little more water works well, without getting waterlogged or rotted leaves. It is a great plant, and pretty easy to find growing here.:smile:

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Love fresh herbs also Queenie.

They are great Mogo--especially basil!

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, scott h said:

looks like a great hobby Queenie,,,and tasty too :SugarwareZ-047:

Thanks Scott--I think it is! I love that emoji--actually do I put a lot of herbs in my spaghetti sauce and meatballs!

Edited by Queenie O.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, bigpearl said:

Queenie, get off the grass and keep planting, hugs.

Cheers, Steve.

You're so silly too, BigPearl! Hugs!

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Old55 said:

Nothing ever beats fresh herbs. Nice garden Queenie O. :smile:

Thanks Old55 !  Yes--I'm grateful for all the different kinds of dried herbs that I've been able to find in the stores here, but fresh is just another good thing!

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, virginprune said:

Some nice plants there Queenie and good variety. My original plantings of Tarragon, Mint and Thyme got destroyed by one of my dogs, he loves digging. I have now had some herbs donated to me by a chef I know here, in pots this time. I've now got Mint, Thyme, Oregano, 2xRosemary, Tarragon, Curry Leaves and Sweet Basil, the Basil I've now planted in the ground and doing quite well. The Thyme is a bit weak at the moment and I lost Flat Leaf Parsley after a few drenchings and bakings. I would love some Sage but have not found that or Coriander here as yet, sometimes in the supermarket will see if there is enough to root from next time it's in. The Tarragon is going mad so will cut some of that off and air dry it, just need to find some butchers type string for that, nowhere seems to sell that around here. 

I'll take some pics and post soon. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Virginprune! It sounds like you've got a similar collection. Yeah---even myself I was a little worried that our new puppy would want to get at these pots too, but so far he hasn't shown any interest.:smile: The other two dogs don't notice it seems.

Basil would be great in the ground probably, because you could grow more for pesto and such. I had some basil growing in a window box like I have now, and I was surprised how many months it just kept growing strong before it finally wore itself out! I grew that from seed, and it came up quickly. I told RBM and agree, that coriiander would be a great plant to own.  Curry would be great too, but haven't found it yet. I have  tarragon now, but I lost a plant in the past, so I haven't been as fortunate as you with that one, so we'll see. A chef friend is a really good source for you for herb plants I'll bet! Show future pics here when you can!:smile:

• Like 1