A herb plant collection in the tropics

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 8/8/2017 at 9:13 AM, Queenie O. said:

I  love to cook with herbs and spices.  I wanted an outdoor herb collection to be able to use fresh herbs too.  Some were started with seeds that my sister sent me from the US, and some I just found at local nurseries and a herb place in Cebu City. I wasn't sure how herbs would even grow in the humid climate here, but surprisingly they seem to be doing well so far. I'm hoping for some plants that do grow from cuttings, rhat20170807_170442.jpg I can grow some plants big enough to be a "mother plant" . That way I can keep adding new pots to my collection. The soil need for these herbs is a softer soil with added rice hulls, that can be found by the sack in many local garden nurseries. Most of these herbs can be kept rather on the dry side so frequent watering is not so important except for the basil, that likes to be watered more often. I'm hoping to add a pot of lemongrass nearby too. My husband built me a plant stand from some scrap wood that he had, and I located it near the back door in the sun for easy access during cooking!  Even if I don't ever use them for cooking or teas, it's just pleasant to have and smell the lovely fragrance of these herbs that I was used to growing in my old place. Like old friends back again after not seeing them for a while! It's a fun project that some of you might want to try. Even a sunny windowsill could accommodate s few herb plants indoors. 

Here's a list of the ones I have:

apple mint

catmint

Cuban oregano

spearmint

sweet basil

chives

tarragon

rosemary

sage

white sage

flat leaf parsley

Swiss mint

dill

aloe vera

lemon balm

Italian oregano

holy basil

We have mint,Ginger and lemon grass growing.The other herbs I want I can get fresh sometimes at the local supermarket or I use dried.I have just planted some Parsnips and cherry Tomatoes which I am hoping will come through.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

We have mint,Ginger and lemon grass growing.The other herbs I want I can get fresh sometimes at the local supermarket or I use dried.I have just planted some Parsnips and cherry Tomatoes which I am hoping will come through.

Sounds good SonJack!  I guess you can just stick a ginger root piece in a pot, and over time I guess it could make many!  I'd like to try that.:smile:

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Found easiest to grow and used the most is tarragon, love the flavour in cold water (first soak in hotwater) or make a T, grows well. We keep replacing the basal as it last just a few months but love it. Coriander we were growing last year successfully but not this year. Now growing cilantro which is similar, at least top leaves. Must try find some parsley cuttings.

Tarragon is a good flavoring with vinegar and in salads too RBM. I lost a tarragon plant a while ago, and I'm hoping for better luck with this one. Cilantro is great in salads and also hot and cold Asian noodle dishes. Wish I could find a plant around here..

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

A neighbor today gave me a local herb called "sanggig". I looked it up and it said "lemon basil" in English. I guess folks here use it for soups and stir fry dishes.  Very lemony--I'd put it in some iced tea I think. Maybe some of you can ask around and get a plant locally. Here's a picture of it. Worth having I think.20170809_133835.jpg

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I tried growing herbs but nothing worked.  In the city I had some mint that did extremely well, but when we moved out here, it died.  I bought sweet basil, thyme, mint, cilantro (the local large saw leafed stuff), and a couple others.  Most died pretty quickly and the rest died as soon as the dry season came.  They just baked and withered.  Orchids do well, herbs, not so much. 

I wonder if they would work inside?

Tim--were they in pots or in the ground?  Sometimes in pots with a lighter soil might do better.  Who knows why some plants do well or fail sometime? If you have a table by a sunny window you could try growing them inside. Easier to keep track of too.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have tried both, in the ground and in pots.  In the city the mint was in the ground and taking over the whole yard - just like it is supposed to do. Out here where we are now the potted lasted longer than in the ground, but not by much.  I have tried like 3 batches of herbs.  I want to keep trying though... 

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Sounds good SonJack!  I guess you can just stick a ginger root piece in a pot, and over time I guess it could make many!  I'd like to try that.:smile:

It started growing roots and shooting in the veg basket so my wife put it in the ground and it is about 15 inches high now.I seem to remember that it has a very nice flower.Time will tell.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have tried both, in the ground and in pots.  In the city the mint was in the ground and taking over the whole yard - just like it is supposed to do. Out here where we are now the potted lasted longer than in the ground, but not by much.  I have tried like 3 batches of herbs.  I want to keep trying though... 

I also get problems with mint.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
Just now, sonjack2847 said:

It started growing roots and shooting in the veg basket so my wife put it in the ground and it is about 15 inches high now.I seem to remember that it has a very nice flower.Time will tell.

Cool! I'm gonna try that..:smile:

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Keep trying I guess Tim. :smile:  Even if my mint is doing well in a pot, any chance I get I make cuttings and start a new pot. Mint seems to like being cut back so actually mints are the  plants that I have the best luck with for some reason.  Maybe you need to find a lighter soil with rice hulls? Too heavy soil can be hard to grow plants in pots.

I'm om a hunt for a peppermint plant--you can't kill them, and they spread like crazy in the ground. A good one for a pot too.:smile: