A herb plant collection in the tropics

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Keep trying I guess Tim. :smile:  Even if my mint is doing well in a pot, any chance I get I make cuttings and start a new pot. Mint seems to like being cut back so actually mints are the  plants that I have the best luck with for some reason.  Maybe you need to find a lighter soil with rice hulls? Too heavy soil can be hard to grow plants in pots.

I'm om a hunt for a peppermint plant--you can't kill them, and they spread like crazy in the ground. A good one for a pot too.:smile:

A pot only Queenie, Singapore daisy, mints etc have been the bane of my life for 13 years, kill it and a year later we are poisoning again, tried digging it out for years as we were certified organic but now "Brushoff", slowly we are winning but it still keeps rearing its ugly head. Mints and the like need to be in pots unless you are commercial, watched Vietnamese mint trying to take over in the veggie garden, no poisons there, isolated the plantings and watering and within 2 years we have that mint in several pots but died out for lack of water in our veggie garden, Tomatoes there last year, peas and beans this year, corn next, 2 seasons.

Funny, as mentioned, mints, basil, coriander, parsley etc thrive with being hacked back, great success with rosemary and even chillies with a two thirds cut back, thrive until hit again, look nasty but prosper beautifully, like stone fruits or citrus, being savage seems to work. Careful what you plant in the ground.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Cool! I'm gonna try that..:smile:

You can do it with Garlic as well as other plants.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Sounds good SonJack!  I guess you can just stick a ginger root piece in a pot, and over time I guess it could make many!  I'd like to try that.:smile:

Like Sonjack we put it in the ground, growing quite well. Chili grows easily too, well native chilli anyway.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

We have mint,Ginger and lemon grass growing.The other herbs I want I can get fresh sometimes at the local supermarket or I use dried.I have just planted some Parsnips and cherry Tomatoes which I am hoping will come through.

Did you get your parsnip from seed? We grew some native tomatoes last year but lost most of them to caterpillars. Tried putting salt around them, like you do with snails, but they walked straight over it. Good luck with your crops.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, virginprune said:

Like Sonjack we put it in the ground, growing quite well. Chili grows easily too, well native chilli anyway.

Virginprune--besides the native small hot chili type peppers (bird's eye chilis?) that I have too, I'd really like to try to grow some other varieties like jalapenos or cayenne to use in cooking chili and making cornbread. Ones with more flavor. I haven't gotten around to trying that yet though.:smile:

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

A neighbor today gave me a local herb called "sanggig". I looked it up and it said "lemon basil" in English. I guess folks here use it for soups and stir fry dishes.  Very lemony--I'd put it in some iced tea I think. Maybe some of you can ask around and get a plant locally. Here's a picture of it. Worth having I think.20170809_133835.jpg

Goes nice inside baked fish too, a bit like Sorrel.

• Like 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Virginprune--besides the native small hot chili type peppers (bird's eye chilis?) that I have too, I'd really like to try to grow some other varieties like jalapenos or cayenne to use in cooking chili and making cornbread. Ones with more flavor. I haven't gotten around to trying that yet though.:smile:

Sometimes in the market we get the red chilies,  about 1-2" long, will try them from seed. Very rarely they have the dark green finger chilies which I love in Indian dishes, especially Jalfrezi. 

Scotch Bonnets are another variety I would like for Caribbean dishes.

Edited by virginprune
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, virginprune said:

Did you get your parsnip from seed? We grew some native tomatoes last year but lost most of them to caterpillars. Tried putting salt around them, like you do with snails, but they walked straight over it. Good luck with your crops.

I have seeds they were growing before but the heat took them.I am hoping now it is cooler maybe some will come through.Failing that I will give them to my MIL who has a farm in the hills of Cebu and see what she can come up with.I think if you could grow them at the right price there would be a good market.Personally I would like some roasted with my dinner.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We have great luck with the small peppers. We also grow bigger and better bell peppers than we get from the market - but they take a TON of water.   The herbs...just have not made it...  :tiphat:

photo0738.jpg

• Like 3