Brazen Mall Attack

mogo51
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, robert k said:

I don't see where this is crime that effects the expat unless it was an expat that the councilor killed? It looks like this Pasay City councilor killed someone, the legal system didn't provide justice and someone took the law into their own hand. I plan on not being a Pasay Councilor and I rather hope I don't kill anyone. Just how many expats are going to be in this Filipino's situation? As for a wheelchair? That is standard operating procedure before you go to court? Surely he was wearing a neck brace also? I mean if you are going to sit in a wheelchair so you can beat a murder rap, you need to accessorize!:hystery:

They know all the tricks Robert.  But that is my slant on it also.  Like the 'judicial' killings, as i don't do drugs, then it will not affect me.  Am I worried about them going on - NO.  The country has to do something about their drug problem.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I never have looked at a mall as a safe place, nor movie theaters, boats, planes... Sometimes there is no choice. Mostly I refuse to live my life in fear of unlikely events. Try not to dwell on it. 

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Well there is is plenty of flack flying round this post.

As a person who has visited the mall in Las Pinas, my concern would be stray bullets in this incident, unless of course he was shot at close range.

Not a pleasant thing to experience, no matter where it happens and needless to say, quite shocking to see Expat or no Expat;.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:47 AM, Snowy79 said:

It certainly makes me realise there's no real safe place

I really, really don't want to offend anyone here, that is the least of my intensions. But I couldn't help but notice that the majority of our members who are concerned with this are from country's where gun ownership is very strict. (and I don't want to start a gun control debate) 

Las Pinas is the town next to me, when I read this my first thought wasn't for my safety it was, "boy this guy didn't get his moneys worth when paying for security" 

If I had been there, the only threat to my safety would have been if I had been next to his guy by happen chance. Unlike in the states where these types of shootings are done with machine pistols fired from a moving car and often times innocents are hit, here in the Philippines folks who kill others generally hit what they aim at.

Does this type of thing worry me? Not a bit.

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, scott h said:

I really, really don't want to offend anyone here, that is the least of my intensions. But I couldn't help but notice that the majority of our members who are concerned with this are from country's where gun ownership is very strict. (and I don't want to start a gun control debate) 

Las Pinas is the town next to me, when I read this my first thought wasn't for my safety it was, "boy this guy didn't get his moneys worth when paying for security" 

If I had been there, the only threat to my safety would have been if I had been next to his guy by happen chance. Unlike in the states where these types of shootings are done with machine pistols fired from a moving car and often times innocents are hit, here in the Philippines folks who kill others generally hit what they aim at.

You are on to something there when you notice that concern is mainly coming from posters from countries where guns are not awash and shootings are rare. Just a week ago someone was almost certainly killed by contract on a gas station forecourt just outside London. It made the front pages. A more extreme example from the UK highlighting differences comes from 2011 when a known criminal was shot dead by the police in North London. He was black, it was claimed by the police he had a gun, but others claimed he threw it out of the car before being killed. Nationwide riots resulted in several cities across England, which went on for several nights.

I agree that gun control debates are almost pointless once guns are out in large quantities.

If you read through my posts you will see that I too am not worried about it... I am only concerned. I will still go to Malls and even the one in question. But I don't think one should be too sanguine about it, especially if such "brazen" attacks continue ie not at some crossroads in some  subdivision at night, or on victims coming out of a convenience store, but just outside a busy Mall in Metro Manila.

Even if hit men here are experts, what about the poor witnesses to such horrific acts? Can you rely on their expertise, anyway?

You're not concerned about Mall security either, it seems.

For now, let's see if this is a "one-off".

Last, I don't know how long you've been living in Paranaque ,but do you know about this event from 9 years ago?

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/news/metro/373596/ca-clears-17-cops-in-2008-paranaque-shootout/story/

Guards and innocent bystanders were killed in the crossfire between two groups of police and robbers. We were living in Paranaque at the time, still have a house there. We used to buy roasted chicken at a shop close to the incident every so often, it being just off the main road.

My point is that brazen attacks can bring forth a response in which innocent people can get caught up in and be injured or killed.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Benington said:

My point is that brazen attacks can bring forth a response in which innocent people can get caught up in and be injured or killed

Yep, these things can have ramifications way beyond the initial incident. Sort of like the gang wars in Los Angeles. You shoot one of my guys, ill shoot two of yours, but there innocent bystanders more often than not hit also.

What I am more concerned about is an over reaction by government officials. Do you remember when jewel thieves went into an SM Mall? They were checked by security and were clean. They then went to the Ace hardware and bought a hammer. Then they went to the jewelry store and used the hammer to break display cases and run off.

The initial response of some hair brained congressman? Pass a law that if you buy a hammer at a mall you have to go to the will kall area and take it with you when your don't shopping :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Sometimes the cure for a disease is worse than the disease itself

Benington
Posted
Posted

Don't think any action will be forthcoming unless there's a major recurrence and Mall traffic is down. Especially if the victims are viewed by the public to deserve it!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

here in the Philippines folks who kill others generally hit what they aim at.

Except they sometimes get their target wrong.  Evidenced by the foreigner that gunman chased and killed at Macdonalds in Metro Cebu last year.  Turned out to be an "oops, wrong guy" but yes the killers hit who they aimed at.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, scott h said:

It doesn't worry me one little bit either. I may come from a country that doesn't need guns to protect me but I've lived in about 12 countries that do have guns including the USA.

My point was in a lot of countries with guns it would take a special kind of stupid to shoot you in a public place where others could have guns. In this culture and with the ease people seam to get away with crimes it lets you know they don't care. 

Just the other week there was a robbery near me. A good Samaritan stepped in and stopped it. The robber then went home, got his gun and came back and shot the good Samaritan. I think even in the USA that wouldn't happen especially as the robber was known to the locals. 

As for the guy killed in the Mall the last time he was involved in a shooting it was by two guys on a motorcycle which resulted in one death and nine hit by stray bullets. 

Will it make me worried everyone I go out? Not one bit. It'll just remind me that this culture is something special. :whistling:

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
chico2663
Posted
Posted

As someone that has been around many idiots that didn't mind shooting each other in public. I have to agree with the person that wrote this thread. You would assume that the mall would be safe. Before I got sick; I worked in the inner city of cinti. I got caught in the riots. The one place I always felt safe was in a mall. Hopefully next month when I visit friends in cebu and ormoc next month this won't be a problem. P.s. I have seen 5 people killed by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Was a great job with great pay but was caught in a cross fire 3 times.