Jump to content
Dave Hounddriver

New Mall Opens

Recommended Posts

A new mall opened in Dumaguete today.  Not a big mall, just a "City Mall".  My point is that a mall opening in Philippines is more important than a visit from the president.

What makes me say that?  I did not want to go to the 3 PM opening ceremony and its a good thing as traffic was horrendous around that mall.  But what really convinced me how important it was happened as I walked along the beach near the airport between 4:15 pm and 5:45 pm.

During that time period there was a private plane taking off every 5 minutes for the entire time (except for when the scheduled airlines were coming in or going out.)

That's more private planes than I see in a normal month when walking there.  Some were heading out towards Manila direction.  Some towards Cebu and one even headed south.  I can only assume wealthy people flying in for the mall opening and heading home as soon as the ribbon (or whatever) was cut.

Keep in mind these are small propeller driven planes, not lear jets, so I expect they have a few hours flying to get back to Manila, for those headed there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

During that time period there was a private plane taking off every 5 minutes for the entire time (except for when the scheduled airlines were coming in or going out.)

Also could have been one of the several movie stars, TV stars, radio stars, pop stars, or whatever they were that were in attendance to celebrate the opening with a big show. Apparently there was a small Filipina version of the Beatles US tour...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or it could have been any self respecting male escaping shopping. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's true Dave, about bigwigs showing up, and that often like AlwaysRt said, movie stars will fly in from Manila for an opening. It seems that every new mall opening brings out folks  in droves. Sometimes I wonder how all these malls are able to stay in business. I see a lot of "window shoppers", but not as many big spenders.:89:

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

 Sometimes I wonder how all these malls are able to stay in business. I see a lot of "window shoppers", but not as many big spenders.:89:

I wonder too as I see the noisy halls full of people with no shopping bags and the fancy stores nearly empty. It seems that most people go to the mall to eat and hang out in the a/c.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Some were heading out towards Manila direction.  Some towards Cebu and one even headed south.  

Off topic notice. I met an American pilot here that has a twin engine plane of his own. Imagine how nice that would be to be able to fly around the Philippines and SE Asia at your own whims and convenience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like another air con meeting place for the local window shoppers. Wonder how many seats will be available for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RBM said:

Sounds like another air con meeting place for the local window shoppers. Wonder how many seats will be available for them.

I am not sure if you mean the local kano girl watchers or the local locals.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

A new mall opened in Dumaguete today.  Not a big mall, just a "City Mall".  My point is that a mall opening in Philippines is more important than a visit from the president.

What makes me say that?  I did not want to go to the 3 PM opening ceremony and its a good thing as traffic was horrendous around that mall.  But what really convinced me how important it was happened as I walked along the beach near the airport between 4:15 pm and 5:45 pm.

During that time period there was a private plane taking off every 5 minutes for the entire time (except for when the scheduled airlines were coming in or going out.)

That's more private planes than I see in a normal month when walking there.  Some were heading out towards Manila direction.  Some towards Cebu and one even headed south.  I can only assume wealthy people flying in for the mall opening and heading home as soon as the ribbon (or whatever) was cut.

Keep in mind these are small propeller driven planes, not lear jets, so I expect they have a few hours flying to get back to Manila, for those headed there.

Ahh another place to go and sit to check out the talent as they pass bye.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Ahh another place to go and sit to check out the talent as they pass bye.

Ahh yes that helps my previous post, my observations are most malls here offer limited seating. Guess  not wanting to encourage the Non spending locals both Kanos and Filipinos alike. Many will congregate during hot days, my guess would be limited seating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×