NORTH KOREA PLANS MISSILE STRIKE ON GUAM

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

There are many conventional missiles pointed at Seoul.

Missiles are a threat true. I would be more worried about the 15000 heavy fast firing artillery pieces lined up on the DMZ. All aimed at the capital. They are well dug in, well trained and well supplied.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted

From the report I heard North Korea only threatened to drop a missile close to guam, perhaps another test firing that drops the missile 500 miles or so from guam. Kind of like shooting across the bow of a ship.

IMHO, NK should have been dealt with by ignoring them publicly and privately talking to the chinese to put a muzzle on their chained up dog.

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 8/8/2017 at 7:41 PM, Old55 said:

North Korea State media states there is a serious review of attacking Guam with  missiles. 

Perhaps Guam might tip over into the Pacific after all. One US congressman believes the island's capsize is imminent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

Missiles are a threat true. I would be more worried about the 15000 heavy fast firing artillery pieces lined up on the DMZ. All aimed at the capital. They are well dug in, well trained and well supplied.

That is what I meant but I didn't have the terms right.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

That is what I meant but I didn't have the terms right.

Just for general information about how things have been there since the end of the Korean war. When I was stationed there at Uijonbu our regiment had a battery of 155 self propelled howitzers. BIG GUNS. By standard operating procedure each gun is pre located and has a predetermined target. The plan would be that as soon as the crew gets aboard they fire a couple of rounds at pre determined targets, even before they leave the parking lot. It is one scary place.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The problem is extremely amplified due to the close proximity of Seoul.  There are many conventional missiles pointed at Seoul.  If you take him out, a lot of those missiles will hit Seoul.  I don't think they can all be neutralized if dozens are launched at once.

Interesting as just this am read a BBC report stating while the above is widely believed it in fact is not true. Seoul is in fact 40 km from the DMZ. Crazy Kim does not have a lot of weapons able to accurately function at this range and most are old and non movable.

Surprised me and please remember I am just a reader and quoting what I read.

Lou49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Not gonna happen. If they  launch  against the US , N.Korea will become a smoking hole inthe ground. And they know it, they are not suicidal.Trump and Kim are just two blowhards trash talking each other.

Edited by Lou49
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Interesting as just this am read a BBC report stating while the above is widely believed it in fact is not true. Seoul is in fact 40 km from the DMZ. Crazy Kim does not have a lot of weapons able to accurately function at this range and most are old and non movable.

I flipped to the Clinton News Network and caught a military expert explaining on a map how the setup is.  He seemed to know what he was talking about but I also take it with a grain of salt.

On the NK side of the DMZ, there are three(?) mountain ranges and NK has the artillery set up in caves.  They have to bring them out to fire.  Once fired, the shells hit targets in Seoul in 30-45 seconds.

Once out of the caves, they are very vulnerable and can be hit by U.S. aircraft.  He drew some lines around the back of the mountains as a route the planes would take.

He also said the "million man" army NK has is not really very strong and would be taken care of by SK and US forces rather quickly.

2 hours ago, Lou49 said:

If they  launch  against the US , N.Korea will become a smoking hole inthe ground.

But how do you make them a smoking hole in the ground without Seoul becoming the same?  That is the tough part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Benington
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, RBM said:

It is interesting, and a bit different from what is being put out on international US cable TV News stations.

If true..big if.. Trump's statement at the Drugs conference has more credibility than he is given credit for today by the various pundits

.http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40878370

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Once out of the caves, they are very vulnerable and can be hit by U.S. aircraft.  He drew some lines around the back of the mountains as a route the planes would take

But how do you make them a smoking hole in the ground without Seoul becoming the same?  That is the tough part

That's the trick, and pretty much the only reason the north has been appeased for so long. Even if you could hit every one of those artillery pieces in the first hour (and they roll back into the caves when they are reloading) assuming every single fighter/bomber was in the air and each friendly artillery piece was manned, loaded and aimed the amount of damage that Seoul would take would be astronomical, and Kim knows it, just as his Dad and Grand dad did. 

US forces rather quickly.

I really doubt it would be over quickly, yes there is a division of US infantry there, a regiment of tanks (and Korea is not tank country) as well as artillery and aircraft support. But to those of us that were stationed there, we understood that we has two roles if the balloon went up. 1st to act as a deterrent to the North's aggression (you do not lightly attack American troops anywhere with out repercussions) 2nd was to act as a speed bump. Just delay the north long enough so that as many refugees as possible south out of the combat zone and to allow enough troops and material to land to allow overwhelming force to crush the North.

In fact Korea is considered a "hardship" post. It is the only place (except active war zones) where the US army will not allow soldiers families to accompany them.

Would the South and her allies win? No doubt, but it would be very, very bloody

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1