Holidays, vacations

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, robert k said:

So you get up at 2am with the roosters?:smile:

The roosters seem to be quieter up here.Maybe because we always kept birds when I was younger I don`t hear them.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

We really enjoy our retirement lifestyle of constantly traveling. The cost turns out to be about the same as living in Honolulu, paying the mortgage and exorbitant prices known to residents as the Paradise Tax. There is slowdown in the sense we now linger for a few weeks at certain places, but I get itchy feet if it is too long. 

They already have a name for it as more seniors are opting for a similar lifestyle. It is known as, Roving Retirement. Another new term is Home Free, although me preference is to state that my wife and I are Homeless. More impact.

• Like 5

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I like the sound of Roving Retirement. We're not in the Phils yet so are still in full holiday mode. In about 7 weeks we are off to the US, we land in Seatle then cross to Vancouver after which Jackson Hole then Onterio, visit Niaga then Washington DC followed by New York and fly back to the UK from there. We managed to pick up a good deal for the Philippine for next March/April. The plan is to visit Negros for about a week whilst we are in the Phils. The current plan for retirement in 134 weeks is the do the rainy season in the UK, mind you this year I think we have had more rain in the UK than the Phils.

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Sounds idyllic just where you live Queenie,

Point being, is there a time when you feel homesick ( for USA), or get the wanderlust, even when where you live, is all you dreamed of?

Is it just me, but each place I visited, wherever that  has been, always seemed to offer that something I didn't have back home.

Maybe it was the freedom from the daily drudge trying to fit everything into a working day.

Now I'm retired, life is more relaxing and travelling is part of looking for that hidden gem which might just tempt me enough to throw caution to the wind

sell up and go.

Chasing your dreams keeps you young, even if you never catch them......JB

Hi Kuya,

I've traveled a lot in country and abroad to many places with my husband and son for many years while living in the US, along with many trips back and  forth to see Cebu and family. I agree that travel/vacations can be a lot of fun, and they sure provide  many happy memories and perspectives! I'll probably get back to going places over time, but right now I'm content just to be here in Cebu.

Back when I was in the Peace Corps, I spent my language training for two months at the old Boy Scout Jamboree Camp up in Los Banos, Laguna. Periodic trainings and conferences led us to many different venues in Manila, around Luzon and different areas of Cebu and to CDO only once. My husband and and I spent some time in Bohol  during a Philippines vacation visit which was fun. There's still a lot of cool places left to see here I'm sure.

I always was drawn back to Cebu and I always felt very at home here I miss my family and friends sometimes in the US, but not necessarily my old life and routines or the current situations there.    Happily for now, my focus and permanent vacation is here in Cebu..    I'm home!:smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sounds like you found the contentment most people are looking for Queenie.

Not a lot of people know this :mocking:......The Third World Boy Scout Jamboree with Baden Powell  took place where I am living now  :thumbsup:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

marine6357
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Gary D said:

Ontario, visit Niagara then Washington DC followed by New York and fly back to the UK from there.

Hey Gary send me a message when you are heading to Niagara live just 30 minutes and worked over 20 years up there> ca\n give you some cant miss places for food and what to see.

Have fun and hope to hear from you.

• Like 1

Dave Jo
Posted
Posted

I have lived with my wife in the beautiful island of Palawan for over 20 years and have been lucky enough to visit most of the other islands, but we do try to get out of the country quite often, just for a change. Last year we made four X 2 week trips to Myanmar, Australia, Taiwan and Vietnam. I felt it was a little too much traveling but when a promo ticket comes up  i cannot resist booking it straight away. This year we have been to Cambodia and next month we will visit Japan. Next year we already have promo tickets to Korea and Sri Lanka. 2019 who knows?  The only -lace in the Philippines that is still on my bucket list are the Batanes Islands. 

• Like 5

Benington
Posted
Posted
On 8/10/2017 at 9:11 AM, robert k said:

I drove all over Negros for recreation and spotted many places I wouldn't mind seeing again for a longer period of time. I agree with what Bennington said above, the travelogues are better quality these days. After seeing a couple of Angkor Wat videos, a place I always wanted to see, I don't care to go there. Crowds and I expect McDo to open up there any time now.

Relating to the point about travelogues, the BBC put out a novel one hour plus program last year on its more "highbrow" second channel.

It was an video record of a one hour plus bus journey through a scenic part of England, the Yorkshire Dales. From start to finish - no voice commentary, no music, just the occasional display of information as the bus went past a place of interest. Views alternating to and from both sides, with some long distance shots. The sounds of traffic,driving, tickets being issued, passengers chatting, getting on and off etc.Couldn't turn away from it.

Obviously not the sort of program any commercial channel can make, and that's just about all there are here...but would that sort of program work in the Philippines? Helpful that the Yorkshire Dales is a National Park, so no ugly development like what we have here in scenic areas. But there's no certainly no lack of incidents on the road!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 8/11/2017 at 3:19 AM, Old55 said:

If you don't mind my asking what time do you go to bed? About 9:39PM for me but the family is up past midnight.

9.39 PM, you got it down to a minute. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

9.39 PM, you got it down to a minute. :smile:

Factoring in Filipino Time it could mean anytime after dark.