Holidays, vacations

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Benington said:

Relating to the point about travelogues, the BBC put out a novel one hour plus program last year on its more "highbrow" second channel.

It was an video record of a one hour plus bus journey through a scenic part of England, the Yorkshire Dales. From start to finish - no voice commentary, no music, just the occasional display of information as the bus went past a place of interest. Views alternating to and from both sides, with some long distance shots. The sounds of traffic,driving, tickets being issued, passengers chatting, getting on and off etc.Couldn't turn away from it.

Obviously not the sort of program any commercial channel can make, and that's just about all there are here...but would that sort of program work in the Philippines? Helpful that the Yorkshire Dales is a National Park, so no ugly development like what we have here in scenic areas. But there's no certainly no lack of incidents on the road!

I used to love a program about great railway journeys. It was rather what you see is what you get, but it was from 25-30 years ago.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, robert k said:

I used to love a program about great railway journeys. It was rather what you see is what you get, but it was from 25-30 years ago.

Robert there is a ex MP Michael Portillo

He has done a series of Railway journeys both in UK and abroad, the latest one being this..

a new adventure in brand new BBC Two series

Edited by Kuya John
cancel link
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Robert there is a ex PM Michael Portillo

He has done a series of Railway journeys both in UK and abroad, the latest one being this..

.BBC - Michael Portillo embarks on a new adventure in brand new BBC Two series - Media Centre

Sadly, long distance passenger rail is dead in the US. Thank you for the link!

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Kuya John said:

Robert there is a ex PM Michael Portillo

.BBC - Michael Portillo embarks on a new adventure in brand new BBC Two series - Media Centre

I do like watching this program

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 8/11/2017 at 11:12 AM, robert k said:

So you get up at 2am with the roosters?:smile:

The roosters seem to be quieter up here.Maybe because we always kept birds when I was younger I don`t hear them.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I used to like watching the Living Asia program here.I  Did not like one of the presenters commentary as he used words in English that even I had to think about let alone a local.  .He was Phill/UK child.He had a silver spoon in his mouth and it spoiled it for me.

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, robert k said:

Sadly, long distance passenger rail is dead in the US.

So Amtrak's California Zephyr is not running any more? How about their other routes?  It is interesting that Amtrak's site will let me book an economy seat from San Francisco to Chicago for $171 leaving Aug 22 if the rail system is dead.  How does that work?

https://www.amtrak.com/california-zephyr-train

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So Amtrak's California Zephyr is not running any more? How about their other routes?  It is interesting that Amtrak's site will let me book an economy seat from San Francisco to Chicago for $171 leaving Aug 22 if the rail system is dead.  How does that work?

https://www.amtrak.com/california-zephyr-train

Dave, just because there are a few routes still running? Even dead bodies will twich a few times.

With more than 30 train routes throughout the United States, and some in Canada, Amtrak travels to over 500 destinations in 46 states, giving you the best views North America has to offer. Whether you want to visit big cities, small towns or places you can only see by rail, Amtrak can take you there.

Big whoopti. I mean 500 destinations out of, how about the tens if not hundreds of thousands?

Edited by robert k

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, robert k said:

Dave, just because there are a few routes still running? Even dead bodies will twich a few times.

OK, "you're right" of course. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

OK, "you're right" of course. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Dave you weren't totally wrong, maybe I should have said perpetual vegetative state instead of dead. The fact is Amtrak passes through many towns and cities but doesn't stop, not even a whistle stop to let passengers off. If you don't live near the train station you might have to take a bus to get to a train station to board a train that passes through your town on it's way to your destination. Trains used to service small town s, now they don't carry passengers from good sized cities in many places.

https://www.amtrak.com/find-train-bus-stations-train-routes