IS IT TRULY DIFFICULT AS A FILIPINO TO FIND WORK?

jpbago
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, canadamale said:

So I would say it is easier to get employment  age 35 and under, older  it may be a different story. I would not like to be a filpino, 60, and looking for work here. 

I would not like to be aged 60 and looking for work in Canada or any other country for that matter.

In PI, many people are on a short term (6 Month) contract which is not renewed at a certain age, like maybe 26, so they are not able to hold on to a good job until retirement.

Some of my cousins have had many jobs in the past 6 years that I know. They just quit without no good reason, like wanting to work only days at a call center, or quit being a nurse because she doesn't like phlegm, doesn't want to be a seaman because he is gone from home, etc.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I'd be fairly willing to buy someone a bicycle possibly even a motorcycle if they showed they were going to keep working.:smile: If I don't know you are going to make a great effort to keep working, you aren't a good investment ....like bailing out someone who has a gambling problem, there is no point in it.:89:

I'm not talking about losing a job, that can happen to anyone, but I expect you to take any other job you can do while you look for your next preferred job...or as I mentioned elsewhere, you can alway collect plastic while you are looking for that New and Improved job.:thumbsup: I wouldn't ask anyone to do something they can't do but I'm perfectly willing to ask someone to do something they won't like doing.:smile:

I've cleared rubble and swept floors on a construction site when there was nothing else that I could find.

• Like 5

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

In my neck of the woods there's bill boards that list the maximum rate for tricycles. It varies between 15 peso for about one mile to 35 peso for almost 8 miles. The actual rate you will get charged is from 100 peso to almost 300 peso or you don't get picked up. They've learned that foreigners will pay that much so why work for less?

Oh no, it is impossible for this to be true (sarcasm). Everytime I mention how overpaying screws up the economy I get told 'no it does not, it's my money I can do what I want, they need help and it makes me feel better...' 

In your example it is annoying to pay that much, how are locals supposed to get to work if a trike driver wants a days pay each way? Yeesh

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Agreed.  60 is retirement age here and most companies have an age 60 cutoff.  Even as a foreigner wanting to legally work at a call center they would have given me a job if I was 50+ but at 60 its their cut off.  Go home and starve if you are over 60.

60 isn't retirement age, it is graduation age - the age all your kids have graduated to having a job so they can support you...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, jpbago said:

I would not like to be aged 60 and looking for work in Canada or any other country for that matter.

In PI, many people are on a short term (6 Month) contract which is not renewed at a certain age, like maybe 26, so they are not able to hold on to a good job until retirement.

Some of my cousins have had many jobs in the past 6 years that I know. They just quit without no good reason, like wanting to work only days at a call center, or quit being a nurse because she doesn't like phlegm, doesn't want to be a seaman because he is gone from home, etc.

In Canada there is a shortage of qualified tradesmen and relatively easy to find good paying employment, regardless of your age. I have worked with a few 70 yr olds recently. This will never happen here in PH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I often see signs on shop windows such as waitress, cook etc. Seems the food industry has available jobs. Also there are job sites on the internet but how many average Filipinos check the sites when looking for a job? 

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Agreed.  60 is retirement age here and most companies have an age 60 cutoff.  Even as a foreigner wanting to legally work at a call center they would have given me a job if I was 50+ but at 60 its their cut off.  Go home and starve if you are over 60.

Is Papa Carl still working in Manila? Last I heard is that he was and he may be 70 now.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, canadamale said:

In Canada there is a shortage of qualified tradesmen and relatively easy to find good paying employment, regardless of your age. I have worked with a few 70 yr olds recently. This will never happen here in PH.

I see mountains in your picture so I guess that you are talking about northern Alberta when oil was $75 +. I know of some young electricians in Toronto that get only short term contracts and some real young ones that cannot get any work as the more senior ones get hired 1st.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Is Papa Carl still working in Manila? Last I heard is that he was and he may be 70 now.

These days he works online for himself so sort of irrelevant. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, jpbago said:

he may be 70 now.

:hystery: