IS IT TRULY DIFFICULT AS A FILIPINO TO FIND WORK?

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

These days he works online for himself so sort of irrelevant. 

I thought I read that he was teaching in a class room at age 67, a few years ago.

• Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I often see signs on shop windows such as waitress, cook etc. Seems the food industry has available jobs. Also there are job sites on the internet but how many average Filipinos check the sites when looking for a job? 

I have seen constructions sites around  me also looking for workers. I recently, last week, had a ex gf contact me, saying she was quitting her call center job. She was asking if I knew how she can get another job. I told here o update her resume and send me a copy. Hers reply was resume??? I sent here some info on resume sites and she did send me a copy of a her resume, very professional looking.She has not gotten back to me if she has had any replies to the ones she sent out. So I would say no, most Filipino in my limited experience get employment word of mouth and my friend cousin etc work there. I got a job in Austrailia of a website, although 99% of the jobs I have had have been through people I have known.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jpbago said:

I thought I read that he was teaching in a class room at age 67, a few years ago.

• Rank
    Papa Carl 
  • Birthday08/15/1955

HAPPY UPCOMING BIRTHDAY PAPA CARL.. Hope you are doing well at 70 :hystery:

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I have not kept up-to-date with the latest labor laws, but one difficulty for employers is, "Once hired, never fired." I recall my sister telling me about an employee at their retail store who was caught stealing from the cash register. She was fired. The employee brought a case with the labor arbitration board. They ruled that she was a good employee except for the stealing money incident. She had to be reinstated with back wages and benefits.

So the corporate policy is to hire "casuals" who work for a limited time with no benefits. The employee is then terminate and sent to work at another location under a different ownership. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I did 1(one) click of FB and came up with this but :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

https://www.jobstreet.com.ph/en/job-search/dole-philippines-inc-jobs/

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:
  • Rank
    Papa Carl 
  • Birthday08/15/1955

I hope that he doesn't see what I wrote.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jpbago said:

I hope that he doesn't see what I wrote.

Well he is mature for his age, actually I was surprised to find he was so close to my age.  I only met him once and thought he was a lot younger than me but turns out he is only a few months younger.

canadamale
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, jpbago said:

I see mountains in your picture so I guess that you are talking about northern Alberta when oil was $75 +. I know of some young electricians in Toronto that get only short term contracts and some real young ones that cannot get any work as the more senior ones get hired 1st.

I work in the mining industry. Presently at a mine in northern BC. If you are a journeyman red seal tradesman and do not mind 12 hr days working underground in a camp setting, 2 weeks in 2 weeks out, 3 weeks in 3 weeks out, 4 weeks in 2 weeks out, and expect 45 an hour and up then work should not be a problem regardless of your age. How many Filipinos would jump at a chance at that???

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, canadamale said:

I work in the mining industry. Presently at a mine in northern BC. If you are a journeyman red seal tradesman and do not mind 12 hr days working underground in a camp setting, 2 weeks in 2 weeks out, 3 weeks in 3 weeks out, 4 weeks in 2 weeks out, and expect 45 an hour and up then work should not be a problem regardless of your age. How many Filipinos would jump at a chance at that???

There are 500,000 Filipinos in Canada. How many are working with you?

• Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, jpbago said:

There are 500,000 Filipinos in Canada. How many are working with you?

I have only worked with two journeyman Filipino in Canada, they both got the jobs through the internet.  . One of the chefs in the camp I am at now is filipino. Problem being getting the red seal certification, and the work visa. 

Edited by canadamale
  • Like 1