IS IT TRULY DIFFICULT AS A FILIPINO TO FIND WORK?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That alone is enough to raise my eyebrows.  The six month contract, as far as i am aware, is not renewable.

I think you are right but as the restaurant over the road does after 6 months is offer you a permanent job or if you have not performed well on things like attendance etc then 6 months of training is the end of it but you get a certificate in hospitality or whatever its called. 

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

And a third meaning which was the first one I thought of... working for the Dole Fruit Company.

And yesterday, they got the two mixed up in the news:

The PNA on Friday used the logo of DOLE Food Co. to accompany a government press release on the Department of Labor and Employment's (DOLE) pay rules for the 2018 holidays.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/08/12/17/sabotage-govt-to-look-into-errors-of-state-run-news-agency

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
On 11/08/2017 at 11:03 AM, Old55 said:

A very general question.... is it truly difficult for an average Filipino to find work in Philippines? Ask any Filipino and I get the big eyes and "Oh my it's so hard to find a job". Most Filipinos I know living near or in Cebu City have a job and do work on a regular basis. As an Expat what are your thoughts?

An interesting question/thought and one most of us have dwelt on, as a general answer from me, lowly and uneducated but will  proffer an opinion/dare say, and will say, would proffer/sudest that Filipinos are survivors, lazy Aussies are users of a system that perpetuates and even ingrains lower socio economic backgrounds within a controlled system, totally crafted for the voters, (does thus ring true across the world?) sad yes while abused and used in our country, others also have no real significance, the sheep. In PH there is little choice, work and earn your keep or become? OMO. Most work as there is little choice.

Cheers, Steve. 

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

A saying I have heard in the Philippines is "pretend to pay me and I'll pretend to work"

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

This was sent to me Today and it concerns what I was posting about "Job Fairs" & Training programmes Just thought it may be some light reading for some. In that here on Negros and Dumaguete in particular, They are at least Trying to get people into work;

Dole Advert August.jpg

Jack:smile:

Morning All :thumbsup::photo-109:

• Like 2

ClearSky
Posted
Posted

The height restrictions is really hard on anyone less than 5'

My personal theory is that this topic, it has something to do with the weather. Colder climates teach ppl to work hard or die, seriously...

Before I met my wife, she had already moved from being a very poor province girl to a very successful middle class worker earning about 80k a month, plus 13th month pay and so on.. Had every possible problem to overcome, except she is over 5'. So I know it can be done, I think it is all motivation problem. Maybe due at least in part to the weather.

Of course there are exceptions where someone does really get a raw deal.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, ClearSky said:

The height restrictions is really hard on anyone less than 5'

My personal theory is that this topic, it has something to do with the weather. Colder climates teach ppl to work hard or die, seriously...

Before I met my wife, she had already moved from being a very poor province girl to a very successful middle class worker earning about 80k a month, plus 13th month pay and so on.. Had every possible problem to overcome, except she is over 5'. So I know it can be done, I think it is all motivation problem. Maybe due at least in part to the weather.

Of course there are exceptions where someone does really get a raw deal.

I think your theory may well be right here food grows all the time in the UK it is only 1 or 2 crops a year.I have heard this comment before about the weather.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

.I have heard this comment before about the weather.

Good thing the Egyptians never heard about it or the pyramids would never have got built.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Good thing the Egyptians never heard about it or the pyramids would never have got built.

Megalomania and slave labor help too ha ha... hey, maybe we can get some pyramids built here soon.  :tiphat:

• Like 1