Recommend a place to live in PI??

Subsky
Posted
Posted

We are thinking of returning to the Philippines to raise our 8-year-old, home schooled child. We've lived in Mindanao previously for 4 years. I like remote living in the provinces. We moved, on average, every year there. I found small island living very safe and quaint. The nicest island we lived on was small; I could paddle the circumference in my kayak in 5 hours - to give you an idea of the size. I didn't mind 12 hours of no electric.  I didn't mind pumping and carrying my water. I DID mind a long boat ride to the city to get supplies and I DID mind lack of decent internet access. I found living on an island, not connected to the mainland, yet a short boat ride away, very safe, affordable and quaint. And island people seem a bit special to me. More laid back.  

Given these general parameters can anyone suggest similar living situations that we could check out? With 7,000 island,  I need to whittle down the possibilities. Camiguin, etc... 

Thanks,

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum.

I like Bantayan Island 🌴 just off the north end of Cebu Island. It's an hour ferry ride but the island is somewhat developed and maybe larger than your ideal. Mr Google will provide details. For me it's perfect for longer visits the best pizza 🍕 in all Philippines too!

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Subsky, Welcome to the forum

Guess it's down to what suits your needs best and safety is a priority for all of us.

This will be the first year I have not travelled with my wife to Mindanao.

Like you said there are plenty of choice, one place I quite liked was Bantayan island and it's closeness to Cebu.

Looks like you just beat me to it Old55

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2

ponching1986
Posted
Posted

Subsky, welcome aboard. Best of luck on your house hunting, just be mindful of the security condition specially in Mindanao, they are still under Martial law. Parts of Mindanao is under siege by the militants. Think safety first.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Old55 said:

Welcome to the forum.

I like Bantayan Island 🌴 just off the north end of Cebu Island. It's an hour ferry ride but the island is somewhat developed and maybe larger than your ideal. Mr Google will provide details. For me it's perfect for longer visits the best pizza 🍕 in all Philippines too!

Hi Old55,

Bantayan I agree is a beautiful place. They have been able to make a comeback after a lot of devastation from Super Typhoon Yolanda in 2013.

Can you share the name of the best pizza place for us? I'd love to check it out on a day trip there!

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm a fan of Puerto Galera and Oriental Mindoro. Lots of beaches, tourist sites, small villages, large villages. Ex pats spread out. Land is cheap and it feels very safe. You're only 40 mins from civilisation if you need to hit a city. 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Hi Old55,

Bantayan I agree is a beautiful place. They have been able to make a comeback after a lot of devastation from Super Typhoon Yolanda in 2013.

Can you share the name of the best pizza place for us? I'd love to check it out on a day trip there!

Blue Ice Bar & Restaurant Santa Fe Bantayan. We had some Filipino and German food as well it was all very good.

• Thanks 1

Dave Jo
Posted
Posted

If you really want to get away from it i suggest you consider Dumaran Island , a 30 minute ride from Santa Teresita in the NE of Palawan. Here the people are not spoiled by tourism and when we were there last year all the locals smiled and shouted hello. They were so friendly but you are unlikely to meet many expats there. The island is about 40X30 kms, great for kayaking but you would have to live like a local eating fresh produce and seafood as there are no supermarkets there. 

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have no idea if you are absolutely welded to very small island of if you just want laid back small town feel. You go on about being able to kayak around the island in a couple of hours as much as you do about decent internet and the two are mutually and economically exclusive.

You need to find a city and live on the fringes, if I understand what you are looking for which is not that different from what I'm looking for. There is LTE broadband along highway corridors, there are LTE coverage maps online.

The LTE coverage is not solid, much of it is like beads on a string. The only way to find if it's acceptable is to go there.

To date that is about the only way I can think of to have a fairly decent internet connection and not be IN a city. Then you need to look for someplace within about 3km of the highway where there is good signal. A little but not too much elevation would be a plus, you don't want to be in a low spot. The highway will make it handy to get to a larger town/city to get supplies.

I have a couple of good devices and I will be running speedtests in my living place search and when it drops below viable, I will turn around and look in the other direction. Boots on the ground is the best way to find a place anyway.

That is he best I have for you. I couldn't tell from your post what are must haves. I could live with visiting the beach every two to 3 weeks so being really close isn't necessary for me and it being a 40 minute drive each way wouldn't bother me. Starting outside a city so you don't have to escape traffic first means you may get farther in 30 minutes from GO!

I hope this helps or possibly lets you spawn your own idea. 

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum,  I hope you find your paradise.

• Like 1