Any ex-pat residents been to Korea recently

Dave Jo
Posted
Posted

I am rather confused as the some Korean websites say that British passport holders do not require a visa for stays up to 90 days, but the Korean Embassy website in Manila mentions that foreign residents in the Philippines do require a visa. To clarify the matter I have emailed the embassy and several travel agencies who assist in obtaining visas but failed to get an answer. So my question is " has any permanent residents traveled to S Korea recently and did you get a visa beforehand ? "  

Appreciate any help on this matter.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have a Canadian Passport and stopped over 1 night in Korea when travelling from Philippines to Canada this past September.  I had no visa nor any need of a visa but I did not ask how long I could stay in the country as I only left the airport to spend the night in a hotel and came back to the airport the next day.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

If you have a British Citizen passport you can enter South Korea as a tourist for up to 90 days without a visa. You must also have an onward or return ticket. It's illegal to work on a tourist visa, whether as a teacher or in any other capacity.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-korea/entry-requirements

Canadian citizens using a Canadian passport do not need a visa to visit Korea for the purpose of tourism, business, or visitation, provided that no work is undertaken, and the stay is less than ninety (90) days in length

http://visaservicescanada.ca/countries/south_korea.php

• Like 2

Dave Jo
Posted
Posted

Thanks jpbago. I am already aware of this but i am rather concerned about the announcement from the Korean Embassy in Manila which states that foreign resident require a visa

http://embassy_philippines.mofa.go.kr/english/as/embassy_philippines/visa/requirement/index.jsp

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Dave Jo said:

the Korean Embassy in Manila which states that foreign resident require a visa.

I have been a perpetual tourist, virtual resident of Philippines for 10 years as the would have seen by looking at the stamps in my passport but they neither commented or cared, so long as I had a Canadian passport and had an onward ticket.

The Korean immigration officer did ask why I want to leave to spend the night in a hotel when there is a nice hotel inside the airport so I would not need to go through immigration and I told him I already paid for the other hotel in advance.  (It was cheaper)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I guess I am a foreign resident, I am on a 13a visa... but how would Korea know?  If I show up with an American passport they will stamp it for 90 days.  Even when just catching a connecting flight they give me a 90 day stamp.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Even when just catching a connecting flight they give me a 90 day stamp.

Why did you have to go through immigration at Incheon to catch a connecting flight?  The immigration official there told me I did not have to.  (I did anyway because I wanted to spend the night.)

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Jo said:

Thanks jpbago. I am already aware of this but i am rather concerned about the announcement from the Korean Embassy in Manila which states that foreign resident require a visa

http://embassy_philippines.mofa.go.kr/english/as/embassy_philippines/visa/requirement/index.jsp

Your link only goes to an index so we don't know which announcement you are referring to.  That website probably primarily deals with Filipinos travelling to Korea, I would think???

We transited Inchon on the way to U.S. in May, both directions.  Although they look at your passports when you go through security into the transit area, they don't stamp or look for visas.  I was with my Filipino wife, Filipino daughter and 2 dual citizen daughters.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Although they look at your passports when you go through security into the transit area, they don't stamp or look for visas.  I was with my Filipino wife, Filipino daughter and 2 dual citizen daughters.

Of course as you are not leaving the airport. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Your link only goes to an index so we don't know which announcement you are referring to.  That website probably primarily deals with Filipinos travelling to Korea, I would think???

We transited Inchon on the way to U.S. in May, both directions.  Although they look at your passports when you go through security into the transit area, they don't stamp or look for visas.  I was with my Filipino wife, Filipino daughter and 2 dual citizen daughters.

My thought as well this is to do with Filipino Citizens. 

Last March I went through Inchon emigration the official simply viewed my US passport asking my destination and duration of my stay.