UK Beef back in the Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Steak.  A passion brought about by living in redneck country.  From a search of google it seems that many other areas around the world had the same slogan

Eat.jpg

So I have no qualms saying the second best steak I have eaten (and I ate many of them) was from living in ranch country when the rancher slaughtered his best grass fed/grain finished steer for family and friend use.  Hung from a tree for a few months (typo) weeks in the late autumn for the meat to mature and then cut and wrapped on the kitchen table in preparation for the freezer.  But the best ones were fresh cut without going into the freezer.

The only time I even had a steak better than that was a US$100 Wagyu steak served at a 5 star hotel in Hong Kong.  I don't know how they do it but that Wagyu steak just melted in my mouth.  Of course it may only have "seemed" the best as I ate it after a couple years in the Philppines where I was starved for good beef.  It would be interesting to compare my choice of first and second best beef steak sitting side by side and taking a forkful of each

If your mouth is watering now, you might be a redneck.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Steak.  A passion brought about by living in redneck country.  From a search of google it seems that many other areas around the world had the same slogan

Eat.jpg

So I have no qualms saying the second best steak I have eaten (and I ate many of them) was from living in ranch country when the rancher slaughtered his best grass fed/grain finished steer for family and friend use.  Hung from a tree for a few months (typo) weeks in the late autumn for the meat to mature and then cut and wrapped on the kitchen table in preparation for the freezer.  But the best ones were fresh cut without going into the freezer.

The only time I even had a steak better than that was a US$100 Wagyu steak served at a 5 star hotel in Hong Kong.  I don't know how they do it but that Wagyu steak just melted in my mouth.  Of course it may only have "seemed" the best as I ate it after a couple years in the Philppines where I was starved for good beef.  It would be interesting to compare my choice of first and second best beef steak sitting side by side and taking a forkful of each

If your mouth is watering now, you might be a redneck.

Side by side I would think fresh would easily win. And yes, I would love a good steak right about now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I don't know how they do it but that Wagyu steak just melted in my mouth.

That's because it marbled with fat thought the steak. This keeps it moist when cooking. The wagyu is a breed and breed for the marbling in the meat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Steak.  Did you know all those cattle farts are the reason for global warming?

Timely topic.  I decided yesterday to go on a low carb diet and I will be eating a lot of meat.  It has worked great for me before when I really needed to lose weight, such as now.

Several months ago I bought these:

DSCN4984.JPG DSCN4985.JPG

I thought it was on sale but when I checked out it was not.  They have singles that were on sale.  So this was very expensive.  I can't recall the price.

I grilled them the first time, back before we went to the U.S., and they were not very good, mostly because I over cooked them.  They are thin.  Today we were planning on grilling but had not grilled in quite a while.  Opened the grill and everything was covered in mold!  We had so much rain and we had not looked inside the grill.  I will clean it tomorrow.

So my wife pan fried a couple tonight, with just salt and a lot of pepper, and they came out much better.  Still a bit well done but more flavor this time.  I will try and sear them on the grill tomorrow and not over cook them.

I will stock up on meats tomorrow at Royal Duty Free.  Even though it is expensive, I will get some US beef and maybe some Aussie.  I'll be looking for UK beef when it comes around.

Eating out can be challenging on this diet.  My first eating out was today and I resorted to my old stalwart: A burger king double whopper with only mustard.  Don't eat the bun.  Cost: p200.  When I live in Florida and was doing this diet, I would go to lunch at BK and order the same for 99 cents, which is currently about 50 pesos.  That special is long gone and I don't know what a double whopper costs in the U.S. now.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Timely topic.  I decided yesterday to go on a low carb diet and I will be eating a lot of meat.  It has worked great for me before when I really needed to lose weight, such as now.

Low carb with healthy veggies like spinach and kale is the ticket. Are you a coffee drinker? Bullet proof coffee helps to suppress your appetite. It is made by adding some specific chains of coconut oil and ghee to your coffee. The fats in the oil and ghee help to satisfy your hunger. I make it and use stevia as a sweetener.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Bullet proof coffee helps to suppress your appetite. It is made by adding some specific chains of coconut oil and ghee to your coffee.

I had to Google that.  I'll give it a try.  There seems to be several recipes including an "official" one Ghee and their "Brain" oil made from coconut oil.  

earthdome
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I had to Google that.  I'll give it a try.  There seems to be several recipes including an "official" one Ghee and their "Brain" oil made from coconut oil.  

There is also a version of bullet proof coffee that includes CBD oil from cannabis. CBD oil is a non psychoactive component of cannabis (marijuana) that helps with a growing number of medical conditions. The most prominent to prevent seizures in children who have dozens or hundreds of seizures per day.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I bought these patties yesterday at Royal Duty Free.  8, 1/3 pound patties for $12.68 or p635.  Pricey, but they taste good.

Question is, where did the beef come from?  Packed in California, but originates where???

DSCN5003 (2).JPG DSCN5001 (2).JPG

• 2 months later...
Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 8/17/2017 at 7:48 AM, earthdome said:

Low carb with healthy veggies like spinach and kale is the ticket. Are you a coffee drinker? Bullet proof coffee helps to suppress your appetite. It is made by adding some specific chains of coconut oil and ghee to your coffee. The fats in the oil and ghee help to satisfy your hunger. I make it and use stevia as a sweetener.

On the diet now up tro about 80-129 carbs a day srayed 20-40 while dropping over 50#s low carb high fat diet was started on late 1920s for epileptics. It stops seizures also induces your body to burn fat instead of store it.   You must onjest the fats though.   Is a bit hard to  eat all the bacon cheese cream coconut oil olive oik and wall nut oil....o beer or bread or pasta are the downers. I went from obese 255 to merely a bit over weight 204. dropped weight in 3 months and have kept off over 4. debating weather to drop the last 5# would mean a large outlay in clothes again and I feel great now. might do it after holidays or might just stay around this weight.

Anyway O enjoy eating all the fat a watching my sugar go from 6.4 to 5.2 cholesterol from  230-`174 do have to take an iron supplement though body might be adjusting to less bread as the veggies seems to pass faster now.  I'll give it till spring then invest in iron skillets. Off 4 perspirations now only two left. one atenolol (beta blocker hi BP) and my little blue buddies.    My DO went on same diet last month after my check up, my VAS doc is upset says diet is bad.........he could stand to loose about 50 himself. so replaced him with nurse practitioner..she was familiar with the diet  and eats a modified version herself. 

Goggle diet doctor all the bacon you can eat isn't that bad

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1