2 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Is it because they were out of stock in December? :mocking:

Nope.

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Filipinos love a long Christmas season.:t07045:The longer the better, from September until around February it seems. They just do..:smile:

I wonder if this is all connected with something more general here? The tendency to "spin things out"? While in most countries the flagship national nightly news bulletin is maybe only 30-60 minutes long, here it's much longer. Then the Soaps!! Story lines go on for months. Watch the House and Senate hearings on the TV and see many of the members spin out their questions so much those answering have forgotten what the question(s) was/were when they come to answer. "Can you repeat please...?  Then there's the legal system etc. Also, the slow pace of walking? About the only exception I can think of is driving..the idea there is to get from A to B as quickly as possible, never mind who is in the way or the road conditions.

Am I on to something, or not?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Benington said:

I wonder if this is all connected with something more general here? The tendency to "spin things out"? While in most countries the flagship national nightly news bulletin is maybe only 30-60 minutes long, here it's much longer. Then the Soaps!! Story lines go on for months. Watch the House and Senate hearings on the TV and see many of the members spin out their questions so much those answering have forgotten what the question(s) was/were when they come to answer. "Can you repeat please...?  Then there's the legal system etc. Also, the slow pace of walking? About the only exception I can think of is driving..the idea there is to get from A to B as quickly as possible, never mind who is in the way or the road conditions.

Am I on to something, or not?

Yes your definity on to something, walking in a mall is very trying, mall crawlers I say. Paying bills  ordering food...even in Supermarket check outs one needs patience extreme, it is what it is, at least here we can vent.

Xmas is exploited to extreme by mall owners and people seem to love it..

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Well our daughter has put up the tree already so I missed August somehow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Benington said:

Just a thought...Christmas Clubs as they are in the UK, anyway, not much use here. Money would be drawn out after only 7-8 months!

The money would have been embezzled long before July:hystery:

• Haha 3

Lou49
Posted
Posted

Here's the real reason Xmas starts in September: . it gives people a whole 4 months to panhandle cash and gifts .

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

For American retail stores, 60% of their sales occur during the Christmas season, usually defined as Thanksgiving to December 31st. You don't have to be a marketing genius to realize the sales benefit. So the starting and ending dates have been extended.

Philippines traditionally has had one of the longest Christmas. It starts in early December with Misa de Gallo (Mass of the Rooster) and ends on Three Kings in January. Now it starts in September. Sell! Sell! Sell!

Sit back and enjoy the season starting with "I am dreaming of a White Christmas" played over and over on the radio. If it ever snowed, everyone will freak out.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

If it ever snowed, everyone will freak out.

My four year old nephew told my wife; "Mommy, I want to go to America to see snow!"

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Bahhh Humbug.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

Bahhh Humbug.

Good to see you are quickly adapting to the local expat attitude :smile:  Makes me wonder what the Christmas season is like in Thailand?