Are people changing/becoming more honest.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Trash bins in Philippines?. 

Funny you should mention that Dave. Here someone in our Barangay had a bright idea. Knowing that metal cans would soon disappear they made square wooden box frames to put plastic trash bags in and spaced them up and down the common roads. The first day people just put their little bags of trash in them instead of walking another 20 meters to the trash pick up points. The second day the bags were missing. The thirds day they reappeared at the trash pick up points full. Folks just took them home and used them, well at least they returned them :571c66d400c8c_1(103)::hystery:

• Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, scott h said:

hey made square wooden box frames to put plastic trash bags in and spaced them up and down the common roads

There used to be trash receptacles along the boulevard in Dumaguete.  They were made of metal screen on a metal frame and were well used.  Unfortunately, first to come were the beggars who pulled out all the trash and scattered it about looking for some little bit of treasure that was worth a peso or two.  Second came the stray dogs to make a horrid mess of the scattered trash, and finally came the salt air breeze that rusted and destroyed the metal screens within a year or two.  There may still be some remnants left but the experiment did not work :571c66d400c8c_1(103):  However the idea was good and them trash cans were frequently full as tourists on the boulevard are trained to put their trash in a receptacle, much to the joy of the "pickers".

jpbago
Posted
Posted

In keeping with the first part of the topic title "Are people changing", the answer is no. We go out early in the morning (5 AM) with our dog (on a leash), this week to take our daughter to the bus stop as her internship starts at 6 AM. There is garbage everywhere. Stray dogs pull the containers down and root thru it or tear the bags open. Street sweepers come by every morning to gather it up. It is the same everyday. Logic would be to put the garbage in dog proof containers or get rid of the mangy stray dogs. Be progressive, not regressive. There is one house that puts his garbage in a plastic bag outside of his gate every night and his garbage is all across the street every morning. I feel sorry for the street cleaner on casual wages.

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Trash bins in Philippines? In a place where they steal an unlocked padlock for the 5 pesos of scrap metal?  I can picture the thief taking the cash and throwing the wallet in a bush, but it would only last 5 seconds until a secondary "picker" found it and claimed it as salvage.

But that is where evil intent is intended.  As Kev said, many are honest here and I believe it matters where the wallet is dropped or lost or left.  If you drop it walking from Pier 1, Cebu, through the low rent district, then chance are slim and none of ever seeing it again.  If you are in a good community there are loads of honest folk. Heck, some communities are so nice they even have to hire outside help when trying to find two assassins on a motorcycle. :hystery:

Not so sure Dave, my experience once while motorcycling in Mindanao as follows. Remote area, started pouring rain so stopped in a very poor village surrounded by Nina huts. Usually travel with small back pack holding valuables and tablet. Yes as you no doubt guessed, was left behind once rain stopped, luckily around 1.1/2 hours later found spot......woman whom was obviously super poor handed me my pack, wallet had over P10K appeared bag never even opened. Think first time she ever saw P500 was when I gave one to her.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, jpbago said:

I feel sorry for the street cleaner on casual wages.

Wish we had one to feel Sorry for, If we don't clear our Road mess it would be there for ever :89:

• Thanks 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I was at the mall today. Four young Filipinas in matching work uniforms came into the food court, set their backpacks and purses on a table, and all 4 went to order food.   None of them stayed with their stuff... no one messed with their stuff...  I would not do that in the US!  :tiphat:

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I was at the mall today. Four young Filipinas in matching work uniforms came into the food court, set their backpacks and purses on a table, and all 4 went to order food.   None of them stayed with their stuff... no one messed with their stuff...  I would not do that in the US!  :tiphat:

No you wouldn't because the bomb squad will beat you back to them.

• Like 1