Bad Cookies

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

For long haul flights, my preference is traveling on premium economy. Otherwise, my back will give me problems for days. Los Angeles to Honolulu at 5 hours is somewhere in between. Checking on economy seats, all the prices appearing on my laptop were sky high. I removed all the cookies embedded and the prices returned to normal. Someone later suggested setting your browser to "in cognito" to prevent tracking.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Search engines have become so sophisticated they now monitor individual tastes and preferences. Buy a book online and the next few weeks books of a similar genre appearing as advertising. 

• Like 3

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Yes it happened to me also i read the online Daily mail from the UK

And it was always showing me ads from Lazeda i did the same turned offtracking and use a ad blocker

Problem solved

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Another problem is if you search for prices then return they will have gone up.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Yes it happened to me also i read the online Daily mail from the UK

And it was always showing me ads from Lazeda i did the same turned offtracking and use a ad blocker

Problem solved

For the proverbial computer dummy could you please explain how to install the add blocker. I have the same issue as other users, very annoying.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

It depends on the browser that you are using. 

Hopefully you are using either Firefox or Chrome - my preference is for Chrome, since it's the fastest and most secure browser out there RIGHT NOW, especially when running on a Chromebook.

I'd recommend AdBlock Plus because that ad blocker will allow you to turn it off for domains (websites) that you like and wish to support.

In Chrome, the adblocker that you install is referred to as an "extension"

In Firefox, the addblocker is referred to as an "add-on"

In Chrome, go to the Chrome webstore at this URL:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions

In the search box on the left side of the screen, enter "AdBlock Plus" or the name of your preferred ad blocking extension and when you see it, simply click "+Add to Chrome" and it will be installed.

Once installation is finished, restart Chrome to activate the extension and make sure all is good!

In Firefox, go to the Mozilla Foundation site at this URL:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

In the search box on the right of the page, enter "AdBlock Plus" or the name of your preferred ad blocking add-on and when you see it, simply click "+Add to Firefox" and it will be installed.

Once installation is finished, restart Firefox to activate the add-on and make sure all is good!

If you're using Internet Explorer, I'm afraid I can't be of help there since I avoid it like the plague but I would humbly suggest that you change to either Firefox or Chrome. You'll notice that either of those are significantly faster than IE, especially with an ad blocker installed.

Thank you for this information.  I have noticed this many times, particularly airline prices. Last week was looking for a TV and checking out Lazada, decided to buy a Toshiba that seemed an excellent price.  When I went back to order, it had gone up 2k pesos.  So thought I would wait and see  what happens.

Sure enough on Sunday, back to the original price, so placed the order.  I have just taken the action you recommended. Hope this will fix that sort of stuff.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Gentleman.Jack.Darby said:

It depends on the browser that you are using. 

Hopefully you are using either Firefox or Chrome - my preference is for Chrome, since it's the fastest and most secure browser out there RIGHT NOW, especially when running on a Chromebook.

I'd recommend AdBlock Plus because that ad blocker will allow you to turn it off for domains (websites) that you like and wish to support.

In Chrome, the adblocker that you install is referred to as an "extension"

In Firefox, the addblocker is referred to as an "add-on"

In Chrome, go to the Chrome webstore at this URL:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions

In the search box on the left side of the screen, enter "AdBlock Plus" or the name of your preferred ad blocking extension and when you see it, simply click "+Add to Chrome" and it will be installed.

Once installation is finished, restart Chrome to activate the extension and make sure all is good!

In Firefox, go to the Mozilla Foundation site at this URL:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

In the search box on the right of the page, enter "AdBlock Plus" or the name of your preferred ad blocking add-on and when you see it, simply click "+Add to Firefox" and it will be installed.

Once installation is finished, restart Firefox to activate the add-on and make sure all is good!

If you're using Internet Explorer, I'm afraid I can't be of help there since I avoid it like the plague but I would humbly suggest that you change to either Firefox or Chrome. You'll notice that either of those are significantly faster than IE, especially with an ad blocker installed.

Big thank you for this clear and precise info. So...I was successful meaning anybody can do it. The great resourceful people of this wonderful forum to my, and others rescue. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Thank you for this information.  I have noticed this many times, particularly airline prices. Last week was looking for a TV and checking out Lazada, decided to buy a Toshiba that seemed an excellent price.  When I went back to order, it had gone up 2k pesos.  So thought I would wait and see  what happens.

Sure enough on Sunday, back to the original price, so placed the order.  I have just taken the action you recommended. Hope this will fix that sort of stuff.

Ad blocker wont do anything but block ads.

1 hour ago, RBM said:

Big thank you for this clear and precise info. So...I was successful meaning anybody can do it. The great resourceful people of this wonderful forum to my, and others rescue. 

This is all good but remember that sites like this that pay for hosting and software licences etc reply on members clicking on ads to gain a small amount of revenue to pay the cost of running a forum. 

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

sites like this that pay for hosting and software licences etc reply on members clicking on ads to gain a small amount of revenue to pay the cost of running a forum. 

Yes, but sites like this don't go crazy with the ads.  A few banner ads is all I see, and they are not only unobtrusive but occasionally helpful.

I hate clicking on a site and finding every conceivable ad on the page.  Even if that page has something I want, I don't want it bad enough to stay on the page so I try to click off.  My pet peeves are the sites that pop up "are you sure" when you want to exit or pop to another ad when you try to exit and sometimes you have to actually close the browser and re-open it

• Like 3

Gentleman.Jack.Darby
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, mogo51 said:

An ad-blocker won't really help with anything other than blocking ads - most people install them because some sites go way overboard with the ads, using multiple SLOW ad networks in addition to their own banner ads, which results in frustration from slow page loading.

Other sites, such as this one, don't run many ads so the effect of an ad-blocker on this site will be minimal - I don't run it on this site and my suggestion is that others also allow ads for this site as well.

To turn off ad blocking for a single domain (website) in AdBlock, simply click on the AdBlock Plus icon in the upper right corner of the browser

Below the "ABP" stop sign symbol, you'll see a green checkmark and "Enabled on this Site"

To tun AdBlock Plus off, simply click in the area with the green checkmark - that will turn off AdBlock Plus (allow ads) for every page on a particular domain (website).

Ad-blockers also won't do anything for cookie-related problems - that requires changing browser configuration options or performing a procedure in the browser, depending on the browser and how much leeway one wishes to allow a particular site in setting cookies.

I've also seen wild swings in prices on Amazon.com for no apparent reason within short periods of time - It's my opinion that a lot of shopping sites have developed bi-polar disorder when it comes to pricing, so I've actually started to move away from Amazon.com for this and multiple other reasons.

Airlines are a business in which I'd expect to see prices rise as time goes by (seats get filled) since, even if there are open seats very near the flight date, there will almost always be someone who will need a seat, usually up until the doors to the aircraft are closed.

• Like 1