Philippines - one month later

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Service guy who met me on Friday, sees me, very switched on, takes over and off I walk down the road.

Now I shall make a prediction, based on my own experience.

Throughout the day, anyone who comes in with a vehicle for servicing will grab your service guy and stand over him while he works on "their" vehicle.  Your vehicle will not get worked on unless there are no other customers in the shop, no food to be eaten, and the boss is watching the service guy.

You will arrive at the designated time to pick up your vehicle and the job will be started, so you cannot drive away and come back another day, but it will not be completed unless you stand over them and watch, or at least wait in close proximity so they think you are watching.  Thus I prefer to show up about 45 minutes before the time they give me to pick up the vehicle, and watch while they hustle back to work to get it done on time.  

You may not have that experience this time.  I wish you the best.  But when you do (not if but when) then remember the sage words of wisdom from the ole Hounddriver :hystery: :571c66d400c8c_1(103)::whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Glad it's all panning out for you mate, hope it continues to do so.  

9 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Throughout the day, anyone who comes in with a vehicle for servicing will grab your service guy and stand over him while he works on "their" vehicle.  Your vehicle will not get worked on unless there are no other customers in the shop, no food to be eaten, and the boss is watching the service guy.

You will arrive at the designated time to pick up your vehicle and the job will be started, so you cannot drive away and come back another day, but it will not be completed unless you stand over them and watch, or at least wait in close proximity so they think you are watching.  Thus I prefer to show up about 45 minutes before the time they give me to pick up the vehicle, and watch while they hustle back to work to get it done on time.  

You may not have that experience this time.  I wish you the best.  But when you do (not if but when) then remember the sage words of wisdom from the ole Hounddriver :hystery: :571c66d400c8c_1(103)::whistling:

Pay them per job may solve the problem?  Amazing the difference in a salaried tradie to a sub-contractor in my experience, generally speaking that is.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Glad it's all panning out for you mate, hope it continues to do so.  

Pay them per job may solve the problem?  Amazing the difference in a salaried tradie to a sub-contractor in my experience, generally speaking that is.

I have this debate with myself every time i need a job done. Pay per job - risk is they rush, cut corners and the job is botched up. Pay per hour - risk is they work waaaaay too slowly, do things not necessary and the job is botched up!

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

I have this debate with myself every time i need a job done. Pay per job - risk is they rush, cut corners and the job is botched up. Pay per hour - risk is they work waaaaay too slowly, do things not necessary and the job is botched up!

LOL yeah, thought crossed my mind just as I hit the submit button.

RBM
Posted
Posted

I was tired of the outrageous prices Chevy was charging for a simple serice. According to an Expat here whom serviced vehicles many years most of the work, if performed was totally unneeded. Now have a small workshop doing the oil filters and general check up.

Sorry off topic, glad your settled in OK and yes will be an adjustment, surprised no comments about food here, look forward to this. Thai food rates very high to me, unlike local cuisine. Agree most locals appear very friendly and helpful, how deep this is varies, wish you luck.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

We now been in Philippines for a month and starting to settle into what I see as a very different culture. 

Hmm......one month already Mogo?  As a comparison, are the natives (females) more friendlier than in Thailand?  Everybody knows that you're fresh meat......how often to you get "hit upon"?   

I'm looking forward for another field report about San Fernando, La Union.  Sounds like fresh ocean breeze over a San Miguel sunset.  Pretty good swimming area?  Any windsurfing activities?  

Thanks for another boots on the ground report.  Have fun and have another cold one!  Respectfully Jake

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jake said:

Hmm......one month already Mogo?  As a comparison, are the natives (females) more friendlier than in Thailand?  Everybody knows that you're fresh meat......how often to you get "hit upon"?   

I'm looking forward for another field report about San Fernando, La Union.  Sounds like fresh ocean breeze over a San Miguel sunset.  Pretty good swimming area?  Any windsurfing activities?  

Thanks for another boots on the ground report.  Have fun and have another cold one!  Respectfully Jake

Hi Jake,

The best swimming area is San Juan on north side of San Fernando, other beaches brown/dark sand and semi bay locations so can be a bit flat.  But nice walking beaches just the same.  Not too much cool breezes the last few days just bloody hot.  I have been doing battle with a head/chest cold so swimming has not been on the agenda.

I am usually out with SO and it is mainly the looks that we all tend to get.  No doubt if I  was here on my own they would be a bit more fothcoming.  But it has not taken long for the 'not available' sign to be pinned, especially at the market.  Still I like the nice smiles 

Fish and seafood is great here and cheap.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Got to say Dave they were most professional.  Checked car in within 10 minutes, apart from the little hiccup with the receptionist, all went smoothly.  Told them to ring me when ready.  They did so at 11am, we picked it up at12md, all completed.  Price a bit of a rip off, but that is how it is at dealerships.  Most impressed.  A new acquaintance tells me they are like that all the time!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, RBM said:

I was tired of the outrageous prices Chevy was charging for a simple serice. According to an Expat here whom serviced vehicles many years most of the work, if performed was totally unneeded. Now have a small workshop doing the oil filters and general check up.

Sorry off topic, glad your settled in OK and yes will be an adjustment, surprised no comments about food here, look forward to this. Thai food rates very high to me, unlike local cuisine. Agree most locals appear very friendly and helpful, how deep this is varies, wish you luck.

No argument on Phil vs Thai food RBM but have not really had a lot of Phil food, mainly semi western, plus SO has revealed some new talents in the kitchen I did not know she possessed.  But a good Thai feed is hard to beat.  We eat fresh veges, chicken, pork. I cook a lot of stir fries as they are so simple.  I like the pancit here.

• Like 3