Philippines - one month later

RBM
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes this is correct, I have an excellent small garage workshop I use in Dumaguete plus my friend is manager of a training mechanical center in Talisay Bacolod. With modern day engines provided the good quality oil filter is used and and changed regularly plus fuel filter (every 20K) my understanding is all is OK.

The issue was to buy the filters which is not possible for Chevy in Bacolod, they refuse to sell them, Cebu is not a problem. Although the dealerships state your warranty is voided without following their service instructions done by them others have told me this is not correct. Providing one can proof the services have been done (receipts etc) this is enough. How ever i would hate to test it.  HEY sorry mods drifted way of topic..

Edited by RBM
  • Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

After reading all the comments, does anyone know a good peddle car to buy, you've all scared the crap out of me from buying a car.  :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Clermont said:

After reading all the comments, does anyone know a good peddle car to buy, you've all scared the crap out of me from buying a car.  :hystery:

You should buy a bicycle.It might be scaring  the crap out of you but you must admit that if you read something on here it helps to avoid some of the pitfalls.I have been told off of this forum by people horror stories about different purchases.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 8/14/2017 at 8:51 AM, mogo51 said:

We now been in Philippines for a month and starting to settle into what I see as a very different culture.  

Without doubt, Filipinos  are more polite and helpful in the main.  It is much easier to do business here than Thailand.  However, there is a common denominator that if they do not understand you,  they will not ask  for you to repeat - perhaps the 'loss of face' syndrome?  Not a great deal of logic is applied in some dealings eg. Took my car for service this morning after booking it in Friday.  Filled out the form which included all sorts of irrelevant material ie. how many children do you have etc.  Put the same form in front of me this morning  - 'already completed this form on Friday' says I.  'have to complete each time sir' says she.  'why don't you get my folder over there on the wall?' says I.  Gets said form.  'Oh, you have already completed the form, just your phone no.' says she. 'Same as it was on Friday' says I. "oh ok'. Please take a seat and service person will see you soon. ' I am just going to leave it and return when you call me'.  

Service guy who met me on Friday, sees me, very switched on, takes over and off I walk down the road.

Driving in Philippines is definitely an extra challenge but getting used to it.

Overall I am very  happy with our decision to move and am sure it will pan out ok.  Living costs definitely  seem cheaper than Thailand and as we learn 'the ropes' things are falling into place.

We move to new premises next week, 2 br furnished apartment closer to San Fernando, fiber optic cable that we hope will give us best possible internet? 15k pesos per month, older style but more spacious, decent size bedrooms, full balcony and much cooler than where we are now.

Already picked up a head and chest cold courtesy of my SO but getting over it slowly.  Met a few expats at local 'resort' (a word used very loosely here) and enjoy a couple of beers with them a few times a week.

Glad to hear that you are settling in Ron.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I have been told off of this forum by people horror stories about different purchases.

Purchasing dried fish, then smelling it being cooked , now thats a horror story.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Purchasing dried fish, then smelling it being cooked , now thats a horror story.

I must be one of a few people who don`t mind the smell of dried fish.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1