Service With A Grunt

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I guess we're perhaps not taking account of the fact that it's not that they don't know how to be more efficient, rather they either don't want to be (keeping people in jobs etc) or don't need to be (not enough competition etc.)

I don't really buy the idea that plenty of sales people equates to good service - in my local SM there is an army of staff yet i seem to have problems being served and there are always lengthy queues at cash-desks, with 50% of tills not open. Also, I don't think standing with a pair of socks in hand offering them to every passing customer is the greatest marketing strategy!

The joys!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

in my local SM there is an army of staff yet i seem to have problems being served

I guess it is the same all over but I tend to think they are not there to serve you but to watch for pilferers + Many are not paid to do the Job they are these OJT people that are just used as extra Security  JMHO of course.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I guess it is the same all over but I tend to think they are not there to serve you but to watch for pilferers + Many are not paid to do the Job they are these OJT people that are just used as extra Security  JMHO of course.

Maybe it is just your opinion but it rings true to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

There also seem to be many instances of vendors pushing their product in stores. A grocery example would be the Pepsi guy isn't going to help you with your Coke or walk you to the bread aisle... The problem here is they do not dress differently or enough differently to tell who is what.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

There also seem to be many instances of vendors pushing their product in stores. A grocery example would be the Pepsi guy isn't going to help you with your Coke or walk you to the bread aisle... The problem here is they do not dress differently or enough differently to tell who is what.

Oh, I dislike those! We were in a small, crowded pharmacy a while back with customers nearly cheek to jowl. There were four vendor girls in the fray as well, blocking the counter and slithering through the crowd: Vitamin C Girl, Nasal Congestion Pill Girl, Try My Chocolate Girl, and Sign Up For My Thing Girl. I stuck my hand in my wallet pocket and adopted a mean look, just in case I met I Like Your Wallet Better Girl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Yes many of the staff are employed by the manufacturer not the retailer.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Yes many of the staff are employed by the manufacturer not the retailer.

Merchandisers maybe I'd call them.

At least they probably have some idea about the products they are promoting. And I'm sure they wear a different uniform or have some kind of badge or something to differentiate them from 'normal' staff.

Staff pushing a product because it's on the "push list" tends to make me wonder why it needs such heavy promotion. Good products sell themselves and all that.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I hadn't thought of that - makes sense.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

How about "lack of service" with a smile.  Like when I go into Citi Hardware and can't find a salesperson until I do all my own shopping then get to the cash register and have 2 or 3 smiling lads come running up to say "Let me help you with that"  whereupon they fill out a ticket with their name on it and put your purchases on the desk for the cashier to ring up.  No help, no security, no job to do, just get their ticket punched.  But they do smile.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

can't find a salesperson

Really Dave? That is so strange, I really cant think of a store we go to that sales people are underfoot so much its almost uncomfortable. There are times I almost want to shout "I just want to look, ill call you when I am ready!"  

• Like 2