Would they ever check?. Minor big possible issue with civil status on ACR card

Cebu expat
Posted
Posted

Ok i will try to get straight to the point. Thinking about marrying in the Philippines to have less hassle on the way out at immigration (you heard about offloading?). i will be able to get a visa for my country because me and y filipina future wife have a baby together duly recognized by me and has my last name. I was previously married in a third country with another person and i am regularly divorced in that country.. in my home country i appear as "never married" so if i go to my embassy to ask for the permit to marry it will be granted. my problem is that when i first did my tourist ACR card with BI i put as civil status "Divorced" and so it appears on my ACR. 

to get  a marriage license in the philippines i know i need to bring the marriage permit\ non objection from my embassy , my passport, community tax certificate etc ad if divorced a "decree absolute of divorce" . 

my question is will the municipality ask me for my ACR card or will just be ok with my passport and papers . because if they discover that i was previuosly married and divorced i would have to do a ton of paper and translations in that country where i married and divorced and i dont want to spend time and money. i have no time for that sorry.

i just thought about it now unfortunately. my guess is that the municipality will not ask for the ACR card. i guess if ima already married on exit with my filipina gf will they notce the ACR card says otherwise. will they care? would that make the ACR invalid? i know amendents are trouble , time and money and in my case it would even be more complicated.

any opinion on this?

Cebu expat
Posted
Posted

sorry for a few typos, im new to this forum, cannot even find the button "edit" for now

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If it were me I would be honest. I was divorced and had little trouble, paper work or extra cost because of that.

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted

The CR/OR for our old car had an incorrect letter, an L instead of M, for 20 years before it was objected to and corrected at an LTO branch!

robert k
Posted
Posted

Actually, I could see you getting married then reporting the change of status for the ACR card and have that breeze right by easily explained as a clerical error.

I would see a stack of immigration report forms saying your status is divorced would be more problematical, if you have been in the Philippines for some time. You could only stretch a clerical error so far.

Cebu expat
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, robert k said:

Actually, I could see you getting married then reporting the change of status for the ACR card and have that breeze right by easily explained as a clerical error.

I would see a stack of immigration report forms saying your status is divorced would be more problematical, if you have been in the Philippines for some time. You could only stretch a clerical error so far.

definitely have been putting\writing divorced so many times when i filled the forms. ...

i thought about getting married without showing my id and then just show the NSO new marriage certificate at immigration to change my status (if i really have to change it). i dont think immigration would ask for the decree absolute (that is something the municipality asks) and they will probably assume i had shown that already before getting married.....

im worried my gf wouldnt not be able to get out of the country even with a schenghen visa because her only citizen relative that will live abroad would be our son and definitely my 2 month old cannot support her,,,,,,,,the philippines acts like prison guard for filipinos and they just put more obstacles (even worse than european governments)

Thanks for all the replies, please post more if you wish, like to hear opinions

• 2 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

When you go to your embassy, take your divorce papers with you.  All they are going to do is give you another piece of paper saying that, so far as they can tell, you can legally marry in the Philippines.  Simple.  And you avoid any problems with misrepresentation.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, i am bob said:

When you go to your embassy, take your divorce papers with you.  All they are going to do is give you another piece of paper saying that, so far as they can tell, you can legally marry in the Philippines.  Simple.

Not quite that simple.  You also need the actual, government issued, photo ID of the lady you are going to marry.  At least that is why my application was turned down.  All I had with me were photocopies of her passport and the Canadian consul in Cebu said "No you must actually bring her passport with you.  She does not need to come with you, but she can if she does not trust you to give you her passport" :bonk:

Turns out it saved me money as I did not marry that one.

• Thanks 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Not quite that simple.  You also need the actual, government issued, photo ID of the lady you are going to marry.  At least that is why my application was turned down.  All I had with me were photocopies of her passport and the Canadian consul in Cebu said "No you must actually bring her passport with you.  She does not need to come with you, but she can if she does not trust you to give you her passport" :bonk:

Turns out it saved me money as I did not marry that one.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/philippines/consular_services_consulaires/marriage-mariage.aspx

How to obtain a Statutory Declaration

Canadians must appear in person at the Embassy in Manila or the Consulate in Cebu. The non-Canadian fiancé(e) is not required to be present. At the Embassy, no appointment is required during the Consular Section Client Service Hoursand the Statutory Declaration can normally be issued on the same day. To obtain the Statutory Declaration in Cebu, please contact the Consulate to make an appointment.

Requirements            

your valid Canadian passport or citizenship certificate;

the full legal name, citizenship, and residential address of your future spouse;

if you are divorced or widowed, an original or certified true copy of the final divorce decree or death certificate. All documents presented at the Embassy must be in English or French, or accompanied by an official English or French translation; and

the non-refundable processing fee.

As you can see, whoever you talked to was an idiot that can't read.  No official documentation is required, the only reason for the information is so that the government has an idea where you might be living if you don't go back to Canada...  And in case you try to fake your divorce papers...  They will contact the local police and your no-longer bride-to-be and tell her about your scam while you are being led away in handcuffs...  And, no, Dave...  When I say you and your scam, I don't mean you...  :whistling::mocking:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, i am bob said:

And, no, Dave...  When I say you and your scam, I don't mean you

I realize that.  The b***h at the Canadian Consulate was just being that way.   She is a youngish, married, Canadian lady who seems to enjoy having power over old guys who want to marry younger filipinas.  There was no argument that was going to convince her that a photocopy of the fiance's ID was good enough for her to notarize a sat dec for me to get married with.

Bottom line.  You can't believe what you read on line and that is what these forums help with, to show us that everyone will have a different experience, even at the Canadian Consulate because:  This is Philippines.

• Like 1