Living part time every year in Philippines rent own or?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Awhile before we can spend summers  in Philippines but my wife and I are curious what others have done for accommodations part time? We do not want to buy a house or condo. 

Some folks own condos and like knowing they have their "own" place to come to each year. Most cases close to Filipino family members living there.

Not only asking for a list of places but also interested in ideas what others do during their two three or four month visits each year. We would travel some within the country and out. There are many low cost resorts likely take advantage of that too.

• Like 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I stay in hotels.  I never cook. i get a monthly rate and come and go as i please.A month or two in Cebu or Baguio or Bohol or where ever....no hassles, no worries. Or you could check this out:

Edited by Lou49
  • Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Yes Scott, we are making plans for my retirement. I thought spring of 2020 at age 66 but it could be next spring, who knows. :pufff:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave. We figured if no one had any ideas we would just stay (I mean visit!!!) with you guys. I also know this guy who lives in Cebu City am sure he would let us stay if I were to buy him a few cold ones.:7500:

I spoke to the Filipino owner of a nice modest beach resort not far from the ferry landing on Bantayn Island. She said they would be pleased to have a couple spend a month or more and would reduce the price about a third. A German in Santa Fe Bantayn said about the same at his place was common he said. Near Oslob Cebu the Filipino resort owner also was interested in long term visitors willing to reduce prices for that. 

Furnished condo's in Cebu City are available by the week or month and we would likely spend a few weeks down town as I have friends living there. An old ex forum member lived long term in an older modest hotel downtown Cebu City for reasonable price. 

The house next to our family is owned by the wife of a Chicago Fireman about to retire. She lives in Talisay while he spends vacations with her there. No thank you please.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Personally I bought a condo in a location that is one of the busiest for tourists all year around. I paid including all legal fees just over 4m php. My thinking I've got a place to stay thats worth visiting, easy to rent out and easier to re sell. 

Initially it was going to be my home once my current rental ran out. In the meantime i advertised it for nightly rentals. Im now stuck with the predicament where ive got over 300,000 php worth of rentals in the next 8 months. 

I then thought I'd live here during the off season and rent it out during the peak season but it turns out there's no off season. Cash is king so I've decided that if there's 4 or 5 days vacancy in a row during the month I'll pay it a visit as a mini holiday. Now with the surplus money I'm going to rent my own piece of paradise without biting into my savings. 

I've even gone as far as to renting my apartment out and still coming over but I've rented somewhere cheaper and my apartment has paid for my flights and desperate accommodation. 

In short if you need the money I'd buy a condo in a major tourist area and either block the dates you want to use it and rent it out or just rent it out full time then use the money to live where you want. The way I see it any money you pay in rent is dead money. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'd use my six months then rent out the other guys :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3