Pigs Blood

Benington
Posted
Posted (edited)

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/17/media/general-pershing-president-trump-pigs-blood-debunked/index.html

It will be interesting to see reactions when this report gets attention here. It hadn't surfaced online here at the time of posting.

Edited by Benington
Put in link.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

I saw a thing on TV about it this morning. Without going into politics some reporters and those that believe the hype need a good reality check. He mentioned it as part of another report going on in the news, the other part he talked about was the important part but this was the bit that was brought up to ridicule him.

I get the feeling if this guy found the cure for cancer they'd hang him out to dry for not curing aids instead. 

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 3

Benington
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

.... He mentioned it as part of another report going on in the news, the other part he talked about was the important part but this was the bit that was brought up to ridicule him.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

As part of another report? No, his suggestion as to how the terrorism in that report can be dealt with.

Expressions of horror at terrorist attacks by politicians are important but surely what we need most are thoughtful suggestions by politicians and others on dealing with those attacks?

Ridicule has come down on him because there's no evidence the event occurred. Also because he has mentioned it before, got the same response, didn't learn from it.

At  best he has raised a talking point on whether fighting terror with terror will do any good.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Embarrassed, ashamed, frustrated and utterly disgusted.  Let's make America hate again.....but I love his orange hair.  

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/18/2017 at 2:00 PM, Snowy79 said:

I get the feeling if this guy found the cure for cancer they'd hang him out to dry for not curing aids instead. 

Well said, and I mentioned it a friend who said there is no point in discussing the current POTUS because neither side would be dissuaded from their positions by any amount of facts, logic, or discussion.

I used to consider myself a moderate, in a political sense, but seeing the extremes the radical liberals have gone to in attempts to discredit any right wing person, organization, political views or presidents I distance myself totally from them and now see them as opponents.  Thus I have fallen off the fence onto the "right" side.

I find a lot of distance growing between myself and friends who call themselves liberal, or moderate, or supposedly Libertarian.  I tend to stay away from them as their rhetoric gets obnoxious and perhaps they stay away from me as I have sided with the deplorables.

Funny thing is, I realize those people were only friendly when I agreed with them.  So no harm done.

Now as to the pig's blood in the topic.  I don't care that a person is not proficient in history.  I care what a person is good at.  The POTUS is good at getting elected to his present position and that position deserves my respect. 

EDIT:  Seems I am not proficient in history either.  A quote from General Pershing's memoirs is available on Amazon that says:  "The bodies were publicly buried in the same grave with a dead pig. It was not pleasant to have to take such measures, but the prospect of going to hell instead of heaven sometimes deterred the would-be assassins."

Click this link to read the excerpt.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

Benington
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Jake said:

Embarrassed, ashamed, frustrated and utterly disgusted.  Let's make America hate again.....but I love his orange hair.  

I'm going to reluctantly agree with you that about not just his hair, but his general appearance....until he opens his mouth!

I've got this all wrong...I really thought that tweet would cause a stir here, especially if they play the video of his campaign speech on this story with no evidence. It didn't and I don't think they did air it. Maybe because they had heard it before, or they are too busy here digesting all the drug killings, bird 'flu. Bureau of Customs issues going on at present.

Let's just say that having an ally in DT, even on just one policy issue, is a tricky business...because in a month or two he can remind everyone of a fake story including, in his opinion, the very effective execution of "Moro terrorists" in the US/Philippine War at the beginning of the last century.

A trip to the White House looking even more unlikely now.

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Well said, and I mentioned it a friend who said there is no point in discussing the current POTUS because neither side would be dissuaded from their positions by any amount of facts, logic, or discussion.

I used to consider myself a moderate, in a political sense, but seeing the extremes the radical liberals have gone to in attempts to discredit any right wing person, organization, political views or presidents I distance myself totally from them and now see them as opponents....

....Now as to the pig's blood in the topic.  I don't care that a person is not proficient in history.  I care what a person is good at.  The POTUS is good at getting elected to his present position and that position deserves my respect. 

The "radical, liberals"? Don't see too many of them. Trump & Co have tried to label them the "Alt Left". Worst thing I've seen are students and some demonstrators shouting people down. When you hear discussions from the US the Democrats and others on the left often make a clear distinction between Trump and his close associates and many center and moderate Republicans. They want to work with many of them on eg Health Care,  You can also hear them praising past Republican Presidents for some policies and especially the way they conducted themselves in office, as a stark contrast to Trump.

It's Okay to be not proficient in history, but not Okay to be a serial promoter of things for which there is no evidence. Please note that the "Pigs Blood" tale was debunked last year, after its first outing by Trump. As well as this example he kept the spurious claims about Obama's birthplace going for years after they had been categorically refuted. There's many other examples from his 2016 campaign.

Actually, I do give him credit for, against all the odds, getting elected. And I would like him to get some of his policies enacted..not because I agree with them, just the opposite, but because I want them to be seen the failures that I expect them to be. But I think he has no idea on policy, he will just occupy the WH, that's all, until either the Russia/Financial probe forces him out, he resigns or he is finally deserted by the GOP.

• Like 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I see he's now sacked Bannon. It will be a sad day when Trump does leave the Whitehouse, best entertainment we've had for years. The punbits give him until Christmas.

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I see he's now sacked Bannon. It will be a sad day when Trump does leave the Whitehouse, best entertainment we've had for years. The punbits give him until Christmas.

Yes, annoying, worrying too...but compulsive viewing. Don't watch the BBC much these days.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Benington said:

The "radical, liberals"? Don't see too many of them.

I don't imagine they see themselves as such. Too busy pulling down historical statues, protesting in the streets, and trying to convince people who don't agree that they are deplorable I guess.  Maybe they should slow down and say "Hey wait a minute, now I know how those deplorables felt when Obama got elected."

On 8/18/2017 at 2:54 PM, Benington said:

Ridicule has come down on him because there's no evidence the event occurred.

And yet when Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Bob Graham (D-Fla.) says it, there is no ridicule from the left, nor outcry that the Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee should know these facts better than most.

Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Bob Graham (D-Fla.) cited as an example a dinner he attended last week with people who work on intelligence issues and have connections to the intelligence community. The dinner conversation ranged in part on how U.S. military commander “Black Jack” Pershing used Islam’s prohibition on pork to help crush an insurgency on the southern Philippine island of Mindanao after the Spanish-American War at the turn of the last century.

In one instance, Graham explained in an interview, U.S. soldiers captured 12 Muslims. They killed six of them with “bullets dipped into the fat of pigs.”

After that, Graham said, the U.S. soldiers wrapped the Muslim rebels in funeral shrouds made of pigskin and “buried them face down so they could not see Mecca. Then they poured the entrails of the pigs over them. The other six were forced to watch. And that was the end of the insurrection on Mindanao,” Graham noted.

This quote is from Snopes, who declares the story as false.  But says there is no evidence to prove it is false and there are enough similar stories that there may be some truth in the story, just that its not likely to be General Pershing's doing.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/pershing.asp