New car for 17 months still no Registration plate

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

We have our car now for 17 months from new and the LTO has still not released the Registration number !

How incompetant is that ! What a difference from the UK, i used to work for the Wadham Kenning group

And it was the dealer eho fitted the registration plates to the new cars !

Just think of all the new cars, motorbikes etc sold every yr here And the registration plate no is paid already

Methinks someone st the LTO has some explaining to do !

robert k
Posted
Posted

I wanted to buy new, now I will buy used, just to get a plate. Path of least resistance. I believe this is going to cost the economy. My million peso purchase may not matter but I can't believe I'm alone in this.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I did hear that a Dutch company had something to do with the production of the plates.I also heard that lots of money paid went missing.I bought a new MB nearly a year and still have no plates.Just another day in the Phills.

• Like 3

Benington
Posted
Posted

Into the third year waiting for new plates for our two not new cars. The oldest had body work done, signs of rust removed.....the effect spoilt by the rusty plates.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, robert k said:

I wanted to buy new, now I will buy used, just to get a plate. Path of least resistance. I believe this is going to cost the economy. My million peso purchase may not matter but I can't believe I'm alone in this.

You are not Robert, it was why I bought used and very happy with the purchase.  Had a good look around, found the car with a 'for sale'sign on it and it was a smooth transaction, no problems at all.  No brainer for me.  Was going to buy a bike also but after watching the antics of my newly  hosts on the road, am having 2nd thoughts.  I thought Japan lost in the war, but it seems to have left the kamakaze pilots behind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

How incompetant is that !

I really don't see what the big deal is? When in Rome do as......about every 6th car or motorbike has a "registered, no plate" placard or "lost plate" placard. Unlike in the states (I can not speak for other countries) where a car with out a plate is routinely pulled over and the driver asked for registration, I have yet to meet someone who has been pulled over and asked for it. And if a person is pulled over? If a person has their paperwork, show it and off he goes.

Of all the problems we face on a daily basis, this one really has a minimal impact on our daily lives :shades:

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 8/18/2017 at 5:01 AM, expatuk2014 said:

We have our car now for 17 months from new and the LTO has still not released the Registration number !

How incompetant is that ! What a difference from the UK, i used to work for the Wadham Kenning group

And it was the dealer eho fitted the registration plates to the new cars !

Just think of all the new cars, motorbikes etc sold every yr here And the registration plate no is paid already

Methinks someone st the LTO has some explaining to do !

We bought new some 2 years ago and were given the plate about 2 months after purchase. Are you nagging at the LTO or the dealership? My understanding is its the responsibility of the dealership to provide your plates. I would be standing on their toes.

virginprune
Posted
Posted

My BIL and cousin have both bought new bikes this year and have had their plates in 2 months. Saying that, half the traffic here are on temp plates!

Benington
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

I really don't see what the big deal is? When in Rome do as......about every 6th car or motorbike has a "registered, no plate" placard or "lost plate" placard. Unlike in the states (I can not speak for other countries) where a car with out a plate is routinely pulled over and the driver asked for registration, I have yet to meet someone who has been pulled over and asked for it. And if a person is pulled over? If a person has their paperwork, show it and off he goes.

Of all the problems we face on a daily basis, this one really has a minimal impact on our daily lives :shades:

Yes, it is minimal, but there are many other similar small problems here, they add up and can affect one on a bad day.

And in my case it is quite inconvenient as I no longer like to use the LTO branch where I "ordered" the number plates 2 years ago. It's not local and I will have to use it for registration until I get the plates.

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, scott h said:

3 hours ago, scott h said:

We have been checked 2 times so far once as we stopped to buy Pineapples on the way to Lipa

And another time in Manila near the BI office, each time we showed them photocopies of the original

Registration docs , well i do stand out being a handsome whitey ! So i suppose the cops thought money !

But they didnt reckon on my wife ! Being a ex phil government manager she soon put them right

• Like 1