Guided-Missile Destroyer collides with merchant ship

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

There's something wrong with our ships today..... 

WTF is wrong with those clowns how can a highly sophisticated warship run into a huge tanker!? 

15 service members missing 5 more injured. Second time in 60 days there needs a all hands stand down until there are real answers. 

No offense to our cousins in the historical quote, they found the reason and fixed the problem. Now we need to do the same.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

USS John McCain.JPG Big hole port side, 10 sailors missing, 5 injured.

What the hell is going on?  

Edited by Jake
  • Sad 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

I haven't vetted this so read at your own risk, but New Scientist isn't total crap, they say.

Ships fooled in GPS spoofing attack suggest Russian cyberweapon

Reports of satellite navigation problems in the Black Sea suggest that Russia may be testing a new system for spoofing GPS, New Scientist has learned. This could be the first hint of a new form of electronic warfare available to everyone from rogue nation states to petty criminals.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2143499-ships-fooled-in-gps-spoofing-attack-suggest-russian-cyberweapon/

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

I haven't vetted this so read at your own risk, but New Scientist isn't total crap, they say.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2143499-ships-fooled-in-gps-spoofing-attack-suggest-russian-cyberweapon/

It's certainly possible. There was a combined naval exercise off of the West coast of Scotland just over a year ago and a warning was put out on a mountaineering site I'm a member of warning not to rely on GPS systems as they were going to be interrupting the signals to test the ships back up systems.

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I feel for the families of the missing sailors the press release says that they are looking for them overboard, but if you read the clip it says that about three departments were flooded ,guess they are trying to shield the families from the horrible truth of the sea doors being closed to stop the ship sinking

As for GPS ,maritime law states that a lookout needs to be kept at all times ,that's using an old-fashioned thing called.an eye ball ,the tanker would have been running with lights on 

Too much reliance on technology , I bet the nav officers can't use a sextant and compass anymore

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

Too much reliance on technology , I bet the nav officers can't use a sextant and compass anymore

Same thing is happening in some cases with commercial pilots..too much trust in technology such that basic flying skills erode.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jake said:

What the hell is going on?  

May be the Navy brought back the old tradition of issuing grog with meals Jake:89:

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Now they are "pausing" the Navy to investigate what's going on. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/navy-begins-broad-review-of-collisions-with-10-sailors-still-missing-1503329812

In fairness, these are some of the most crowded and difficult waterways in the world.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

For the missing and injured sailors and their families:

This is a French destroyer patrolling North Atlantic (taken from a French helo).  A day in the life of a tin can sailor.  

My thoughts and prayers to all those affected.   Respectfully Jake

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1