PNP Internet Banking (or lack Of)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

6 failed attempts at logging on to my PNP bank account Today that worked fine Yesterday Mon 21st Aug.

Has anyone else had a problem Logging on? I get a note saying incorrect RSA public key used (Whatever that is)  then followed up with Texts and emails telling me failed log on but never giving a reason :571c66d400c8c_1(103): Local branch just say UH! UH! don't know the answer.

Just another day in Paradise:huh:

Jack:mellow:

Morning All:photo-109:

Benington
Posted
Posted

Same here, Jack. RSA? Really S-----g Awful!

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Benington said:

Same here, Jack. RSA? Really S-----g Awful!

:571c66d400c8c_1(103): I wrote to them but of course, 2 days they say to reply, fancy breaking something that was working well Scratching Head.jpg

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ok Techies out there, why would this stop us logging into a secure Banking Internet account?

***RSA is algorithm used by modern computers to encrypt and decrypt messages. It is an asymmetric cryptographic algorithm. Asymmetric means that there are two different keys. This is also called public key cryptography, because one of them can be given to everyone.***

Edited by Jack Peterson
Just because I felt the need ha ha

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

We changed from pnp or the wife did to Bdo for the same reasons over a few months

I eventually got her to open a Bdo acct , set up internet banking online, went to an atm put in security 

Code internet banking running within the hour. No problems logging in at all for weeks.

But then again Monday was a holiday perhaps pnps computers were on holiday as well 🤣

• Haha 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Benington
Posted
Posted

I stopped using their online remittance service from London last year.....it was often malfunctioning or off completely.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, expatuk2014 said:

But then again Monday was a holiday perhaps pnps computers were on holiday as well 🤣

I am sure they will blame this BUT I Logged on successfully Yesterday morning  someone has been in on the holiday and let the Gremlins out or do I mean In  :whistling:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Benington said:

I stopped using their online remittance service from London last year.....it was often malfunctioning or off completely.

All very Strange for something I have had NO problem with since 2008 :89:

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Ok Techies out there, why would this stop us logging into a secure Banking Internet account?

***RSA is algorithm used by modern computers to encrypt and decrypt messages. It is an asymmetric cryptographic algorithm. Asymmetric means that there are two different keys. This is also called public key cryptography, because one of them can be given to everyone.***

The simple answer is the public key is used to encrypt your password in such a way that it can only be read by the bank's computers using their private key. This is to prevent your password being intercepted by eavesdroppers. Asymmetric encryption is based on complex mathematical formulas using very large prime numbers to make the encrypted messages almost impossible to break.

If the bank has changed their private key without making a corresponding change to the public key their systems would no longer be able to read your password.

One analogy to asymmetric encryption is a bank deposit box with two different locks. The customer has one key (call it the private key) and the bank has the other (call it the public key) the box can only be opened by using both keys.

BTW asymmetric encryption can be used in two ways. If the sender encrypts a message with the receiver's public key only the receiver can read the message using their private key. Conversely if the sender encrypts the message using their private key anyone can read the message using the sender's public key. This is the basis of so-called digital signatures and authentication certificates.

Here endth the lesson.:56da64aa52228_23_9_101:from Sunny Sussex

PS Just a thought. If your computer is using the public key from yesterday without checking for a new key that might be the problem. try clearing the cache on your computer.

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

PS Just a thought. If your computer is using the public key from yesterday without checking for a new key that might be the problem. try clearing the cache on your computer.

Done and still locked out my friend :thumbsup: