First Time with PhilAir

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

I recently moved from The Gold Coast to Cairns in Australia.  Since the move, I've discovered that I can actually now fly direct to Manila from Cairns in just over 7 hours!  No more minor milk run via Singapore or KL with the accompanying 7-10 hour layover that I usually deal with. The only downside is I arrive at 3am but that's ok, my usual driver will be waiting for me.

The question I have is this:  What are they like to fly with?  How do they compare with say Singapore Airlines (my usual carrier) or equivalent considering they are the "national" carrier? 

Any thoughts, advice, comments would be appreciated. 

Cheers, 

Brett

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Hi Guys,

I recently moved from The Gold Coast to Cairns in Australia.  Since the move, I've discovered that I can actually now fly direct to Manila from Cairns in just over 7 hours!  No more minor milk run via Singapore or KL with the accompanying 7-10 hour layover that I usually deal with. The only downside is I arrive at 3am but that's ok, my usual driver will be waiting for me.

The question I have is this:  What are they like to fly with?  How do they compare with say Singapore Airlines (my usual carrier) or equivalent considering they are the "national" carrier? 

Any thoughts, advice, comments would be appreciated. 

Cheers, 

Brett

Only had a 3 hour flight with them and it was quite basic.I seem to recall that on the long haul they are very good now.I think I would still go for the 7 hour flight without a stopover even if it was a basic flight.Maybe you could sleep on the plane.

Edited by sonjack2847
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Only had a 3 hour flight with them and it was quite basic

Similar for me.  4 hours of so from Manila to Bali was my longest.  It is quite basic and does not compare with Singapore airlines in quality, food or comfort.

Philippine Airlines has some good price specials from time to time and they offer good connections in Manila when coming from or going to Dumaguete.  That's why I use them sometimes.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

No more minor milk run via Singapore or KL with the accompanying 7-10 hour layover that I usually deal with.

Not sure why you had a 7 hour layover if using Singapore air as for me flying from Brisbane it's always 3 hours and on the way back 1.5 hours. Unless of course you were choosing the cheapest flights. 

RBM
Posted
Posted

I flew with them to Auckland last year. To be honest was very disappointed, nobody was able give any correct info about the Manila terminal or pretty much anything. When finally at gate it was a drama to even use toilet, one must again go through security.

Food was bland and service poor. Perhaps this was a one off. Coming on the short hop from Cairns to Manila should not be an issue.

Usually I fly Singapore Airlines as a comparison it's chalk an cheese, I will not again do long hauls Philippines Airlines, back to Singapore Airlines again.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

We have flown with PAL many times, maybe 15 to 20 both international and domestic, and once with Cathay Pacific from Toronto to Manila. We like PAL because we can check in 2 bags each of 23 kg each person straight thru Bacolod to Toronto and return which is not possible with any other airline. On the return to Manila we just have to pick up our 4 bags and move them 2 meters to the ongoing flight guys, then pick them up in Bacolod.  The pain was in BCD as last time,  there were no baggage carts available. We get our boarding passes at BCD thru to Toronto so no need to check in at T2 Manila. Same on the return from Toronto. Another plus is their Mabuhay Miles. We have both went Bacolod to Cebu return free 4 times and our next flight Bacolod to Toronto is free. PAL has bought 7 new top of the line Bombardier turbo props for domestic flights, one of which is BCD to Cebu. I can't compare PAL to Cathay Pacific as it was back in 2011 with CP but I did not like the stop over in Hong Kong. Also the connecting flights with PAL are good timing and all from T2. For food, we order oriental vegetarian.

So if you are going onward from Manila, I say that PAL is the way to go. Book your ticket multi city so it comes on one ticket to get the onward baggage limit of 46 kg per person otherwise domestic fees are high. I think PAL allows 20 kg domestic and Cebu Pacific allows only 17 kg.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just a reminder for those coming from Canada...  You can book PAL...  But it's better, if you qualify, to go with Air Canada (and fly on Cathay Pacific as they have partnered)...  The difference is for serving or retired service, police, etc...  Canadian or American personnel...  Not sure about other countries...   Air Canada gives you a ton of weight allowance...  I suggest going online to Air Canada to get the current info...

Edited by i am bob
Clarity
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jpbago said:

Cebu Pacific allows only 17 kg.

20 kg is the allowance plus 7 for carry on. 

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

20 kg is the allowance plus 7 for carry on. 

OK 

Edited by jpbago

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, jpbago said:

I just now did a booking MNL - BCD to see the baggage allowance.

Or you could go to their site and read:

A checked bag cannot exceed 30kg per piece.

https://www.cebupacificair.com/pages/plan-trip/baggage-info/checked-baggage

As with all things Philippines, as regular readers of this forum will know:  Your mileage WILL vary.  Pays to do lots of homework when figuring out the cost of baggage.  There is a site that seems to have done a lot of the research on Cebu Pacific and its link is

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Cebu_Pacific/baggage.php

• Like 3