Australian spy chief criticised for 'fist bump' gesture with Philippines leader Duterte

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

So this is on the national broadcaster here in Australia right now: 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/24/australian-spy-chief-criticised-for-fist-pump-gesture-with-philippines-leader-duterte

Apologies for not posting the entire article, but it's not copy/paste friendly.

Beginning of the article:

ASIS head Nick Warner criticised for ‘inappropriate’ photo with president whose drug war has left an estimated 5,500 people dead

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Its refreshing to see that the States isn't the only place where over sensitivity is running rampant! Are things so great and OZ that this labor MP has nothing else to worry about?? :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Its refreshing to see that the States isn't the only place where over sensitivity is running rampant! Are things so great and OZ that this labor MP has nothing else to worry about?? :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Apparently so Scott.  Tactics of distraction maybe?  "Oops, we did something bad... Quick... Look over there!"

• Like 2

Benington
Posted
Posted

I just note that Duterte is smiling but Warner has a neutral face. Spy chiefs aren't schooled in diplomacy so I reckon he was surprised into it by someone who is desperately looking for friends around the world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

To me diplomacy is keeping the other side sweet while planing what you're really going to do. 

I'm surprised by the politicians that abuse a certain president for the words he uses and how un diplomatic he is, they then go onto publicly abuse the guy which call me old fashioned is pretty stupid when the guy holds all the cards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

That fist pump just put Australians in harms way in the PI. Apparantly ISIS has put out a clip to harm Australians in Philippines according to mid morning news. PM won't speculate on said clip when asked.  :photo-109:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Clermont said:

That fist pump just put Australians in harms way in the PI. Apparantly ISIS has put out a clip to harm Australians in Philippines according to mid morning news. PM won't speculate on said clip when asked.  :photo-109:

He's just admitted on ABC that Australia is providing assistance to PH with ISIS.  

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I think there are far more serious problems in the world without somebody getting their pants in a twist over a fist bump.Maybe one day polliticians will do the job they are paid to instead of always criticising somebody else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

Probably a quiet day in the news world. They've forgotten about the foiled attacks in Australia in the last few weeks before this non story became news. 

• Thanks 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

I think there are far more serious problems in the world without somebody getting their pants in a twist over a fist bump.Maybe one day polliticians will do the job they are paid to instead of always criticising somebody else.

So true.